Fatigue post SAH

hi karen, i only sent a message to ann today, saying ,as the weeks have gone by ,I have felt, MORE TIRED,than i was in the start,Ok i know (its early days for me7 weeks)and I HAVE a longer , way to go(it frightens me,(now)so dare to think about IT,ESPECIALLY at age 70.love prue xxx

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest sarah c

Hello Everyone,

The tiredness factor is still a very big issue for me neally eight years on. I do really think that in all this time I have not had one day where I donot feel tired, and like alot of people that have had a SAH is is NOT like just feeling normal tiredness it is overwhelming. I have to quite often go for a sleep in the afternoon, it actually gets me down quite alot as before the SAH I was always full of enery and hardly needed any sleep at all.xx

Thank you to all of those that have contributed so far ..... we have over 250 members now and BTG would love it, if we could get even more response to this post..... I know that some members just browse BTG and don't necessarily use the message boards, but it would be good if we could compile some of this valuable info, so I'm hoping that a few more will add to this thread.

You may see me adding some other key questions at a later stage ... but many thanks to all xx

Hi Karen, Yes Ma'am here is my contribution as requested :wink::wink: I am certainly a victim of post SAH fatigue, it is early days I know, only seven months since I had the SAH , but fatigue is a major factor! I sleep very well at night ( for the first time in my life!) something in the region of ten hours or more, then can sleep for several hours during the day. I too have energy bursts, which last for about one hour or so, then I crash and have to sleep again. I hate it! I was very energetic so am finding it very hard to accept! I have just been referred to the Brain Injury Team :D Yesterday my neurophysio said that she could and would refer me to their sleep therapist Yay!! :)

Hi Karen

Fatigue was a big problem in the first few months. Had to lie down after completing a few tasks say like having a bath or washing my hair, washing up etc.

It gradually improved over the months.

The past 2 or 3 months have noticed I've had the odd day were I've not needed my 4:00 pm nap and gone straight through until bedtime (watching tv or reading in the evening though - not running around).

But still think the bad heads and fatigue are effected by the weather were I'm concerned. Bad head today and very tired and its low grey cloud overhead.

Love and hugs

lesley xxx

Hi Karen,

Jim still gets fatigued. He suffered his SAH 12-1-07. 9 days and one year has passed. We did finally get an appointment to see a neurologist. Jim has had an MRI which they said seemed fine but wanted him to also have an MRA so they could use the dye in order to ensure everything seemed fine since he is still very tired all the time.

The neurologist gave Jim a prescription for ritilan. Has anyone taken this for their SAH? I thought it was for over active people but was told it is also used for people who have suffered a SAH to stimulate the brain. Thought this was interesting.

Jim has also decided to see a councelor per his doctor's thoughts that it might help him with all that has happened in his life this past year. I am so glad he decided to go.

Will keep you updated. So happy you are back on the board! :wink:

Love to you all!

Cal

XXXX

hi karen have been to the doctors to day ,i have been xtra dizzy, and earache, only to find out I have an ear INFECTION,that was all I NEEDED,(so put on Antibiotics for 7 days)so that is all I need ,on top of everything else to cope with,so that should keep me quiet,(so it will be another early night for me )hope you are ok, ......love pruexxx

Just a quick update on my sleep problem, I am now going to a mindfulness course. two hours every friday morning and then I have to do a kind of breathing meditation every day. This is to help me sleep, because although I get very tired and have to lie down, I just can't seem to sleep well, and when I do I have very vivid disturbing dreams. This has only been since my SAH 18 months ago, it is as if my mind is trying to process everything that has happened during the day and won't shut down, it is especially bad if I have done a lot ( more to process I suppose :) )

I am only 2 weeks into the course, so will let you know how I get on, but the meditation does seem to help my mind slow down.

Vivien x

Hi Vivien,

I always have had dreams but since the sah my dreams are very vivid,awfull sometimes even though i am totally shattered i can't sleep the dreams and the restlessness are worse now though, good look with the meditation and course.

Love luck laughter

Michelle C

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Guest zip2me23

Hi Karen, I thought I would put my two cents in. I am always tired just in varying degrees since my SAH and it has been about 19 months now. I had completely lost the usezip of my right side so I guess I should be thankful to be up and around. I feel like my brain gets an overload very easy and my legs will feel like lead or I am trying to walk on someone elses at times which I am having a real hard time with at the moment and it really upsets me, I think it is in the back of my mind when I having this problem that, even though I know it won't, that they will just stop working! We have been extra busy and have had a lot going on so I guess it is to be expected but I sure don't like it! This board helps me so much, I am very glad to have found it, it is so good to have people who understand your struggles!

hi dee just read your post, you must have had your sah about, (the same time as mine ) sept 30 2008. as time goes on , I seem to suffer even more fatigue (than I had in the beginning)And loads more scary pains head wise, but all I keep saying to myself is its to be expected, I suppose,(at the stage we are at )Ihate it all,I was always full of energy before all this, certainly pulls us down. will catch you again lots of love prue

Iknow it's only been about two months since my SAH but l realy do suffer badly from fatigue if I go into town for a couple of hours then thats it for a couple of days.

love Dee W..

Guest Matthew

I had a non-aneurysmal SAH on March 1st last year, so 21 months ago. I don't get fatigued very much now, but every so often (usually at the end of a week) I simply have to sit down and stop. I need time in which to do absolutely nothing (and, bizarrely, feel guilty about it afterward). That takes about half an hour or so. I also crave peace and quiet! (difficult with our 22 month old, but achievable).

Matthew.

Hi Matthew,

My husband Jim also suffered a non-aneurysmal SAH. He suffered his a year ago yesterday. He still tires very easily. Were you still very tired at a year?

The doctor has prescribed ritilan for him which he is to take one in the morning and one at noon. He does take the one in the morning and it does help however he does not take the one in the afternoon as he cannot sleep at all.

Have you heard of this?

So glad you are much better at 21 months.

Cal

XXXX

Guest terry22

I am six months in and the fatigue is daily. Each time I go to the Doctors I complain that I am sleeping to much. 10 to 12 hours a night and 2 to 3 hour nap in the afternoon. I think my depression is only making the situation worse.

Terry

Hey Terry

I was exactly the same as you, I'd would have slept the whole 24hours if I'd been alloud but you are very early in your recovery, it all takes time and after all sleep is a good way to heal.....

try to think postive about it...

take care

Louise.x

Since my main stroke dec 2005 Fatigue has been a very major factor in my life since causing big upheavels at work and home, the more you try to fight it the worse you seem to get. I am currently still under hospital guidence for this problem,and i was told today that i should not work full time again while having this fatigue,i tried too hard this year and ended up in hosptal for 7 weeks so i have to learn to relax. tc all paul :D

Hi Everyone,

I too suffer from fatigue. It's been nearly a year now (on New Years Eve) and I still have headaches most days but the really severe ones aren't as frequent. I sometimes feel like its one step forward, two steps back because good days (where I amlost forget about the SAH) are followed by a huge crash - my head feels like it is going to explode and I can barely move with fatigue. On those days my head feels almost as bad as the weeks immediately following the coiling and I get really, really scared.

Love Leo xx

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tekemeee

I had a non-aneurysm SAH on July 26, 1993 - I was in the hospital for 23 days in NICU. My major complaint afterwards was being so tired - I had some people tell me that it takes so long just to recuperate from being in the hospital and not being able to move around. It took at least a full year maybe a little longer for me to be able to stay awake all day and not be so tired - I didn't have anyone to talk to back then so I had no idea that this was normal. I wish I would have found this board 5 years ago.

• 1 month later...

I still get tired 3 years on, it's all about learning how best to deal with it, like early nights and looking after yourself. Slowly but surely it gets bette