Fatigue post SAH

Well, I have just finished my mindfulness course, and I have to say that it has helped me to sleep better. I now regularly get 6 or 7 hours a night compared to 3 or 4 a couple of months ago. Still get the vivid dreams but they do not bother me as much.

I have days when I seem to have normal energy levels and other days when I can barely get out of bed!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest vaughan

I'm new to the site, having had an SAH coiled in 2005 and a rebleed in 2007 that was re-coiled.

In answer to your question, I found the chronic fatigue that meant I had to stop and have a sleep had more or less passed by the time I went back to work six months after the bleeds. But I do still get tired (like most people who work and commute!) and I find the best way of managing my fatigue is to take regular short breaks from work. I am in the fortunate position of being able to take a week off every 12 weeks and do so. If I stay at work more than 15 weeks without a break I get really tired: I feel I am dragging myself out of bed and havent much energy. I also find that sleeping on on Saturday mornings helps recharge the batteries.

Looking forward to meeting new people on the site. Its a very isolating experience having a haemorrhage isnt it? While people try to understand they dont really do they?

Hi Vaughan :D A very warm welcome to you, I am at 13 months now, and find the tiredness worse...maybe because i am doing so much more.

Look forward to hearing more from you....you will find this website very friendly, supportive and informative..... it has been a life line to me, would not be where i am today!

Take care

Love Tina xx

Hi Vaughan

Welcome to the site :D It has been a huge part of my recovery and I am so grateful for the help and support I have here.

Looking forward to hearing more from you.....

hugs

shiree

Guest vaughan

Thanks to all of you who welcomed me to the site. You give out a great sense of warmth and support which I appreciate greatly. I already feel that I among friends.

Not quite to do with fatigue, but I have noticed several people mentioning mindfulness as a way to reducing stress and fatigue.

My neuropsychologist (dont ask me how long it took to finally get an appointment with him via the NHS!) recommended a book that I have found really useful. It is

Jon Kabat-Zin 'Full Catastrophe Living. How to cope with stress, pain and illness using mindfulness meditation'.

It was explained to me that its really the next step on from CBT. Whereas CBT was all about trying to block negative thoughts before they arrived, Mindfulness encourages you to live in the moment recognising that you cant change the past and that the future has yet to happen. It encourages you to recognise the negative thoughts when they occur and feel them, but then just cast them off rather than dwell on them. It also concentrates on yogic breathing exercises and yogic body scanning. All sounds a bit far out but I've found it really useful.

On another matter, when I first logged on to BTG I wasnt able to enter a location or much detail of my SAHs. The screen wouldnt allow me to enter even the ten characters and I couldnt find a location text box. Any advice on how I can edit my profile and add these extra bits of information?

Lastly, I live in Hampshire, England and work near Waterloo in London. If anyone fancies meeting up for a coffee at lunchtime (Waterloo) or a drink in Hants (evening/week-end) let me know. It would be good to share experiences, solutions and problems.

Vaughan

XX

Hi Vaughan,

Re: location etc

Click on to the User Control Panel at the top of your screen

From the Options menu on the left hand side, click on Profile

On the Edit Profile page, enter your details in the Location text box

You can also include the date of your SAH there, as it will appear each time you post.

Don't forget to hit the Submit button.

Alternatively, you can click on Edit Signature, where a text box will appear so that you can type in your details. This signature, will automatically appear at the bottom of each of your individual posts.

Members use either of these methods.

Hiya Vaughan, Sorry, here I am again, as my grandmother used to say, 'all behind like the cow's tail :wink: Welcome to our family, all of us need and can also give support and understanding in big doses. I'll have to turn down your invitation for coffee and that drink! I'm a tad too far away! I used to live in Hampshire ( Petersfield and Buriton, to be precise, and also used to shoot through Waterloo each day on my way to earn a crust :) Hope to get to know you better 'ere long.

Guest vaughan

Hi Karen, thanks for the IT advice. The profile is still refusing to allow me to enter more than 4 words in the SAH history box.

I am trying to input 'SAH 2005 coiled. Re-bled 2007 re-coiled' but its editing off most of the latter. Help!

Vaughan

Hi Vaughan,

Just checked, it's a problem at our end ..... the software is only allowing a max of 10 letters, instead of 10 words and that's why it's kicking it out, so we need to alter the settings. Not sure how long it's been like that, so thanks for pointing it out and we'll get it sorted.

Sorry about that ..... I have added your SAH details to your profile using the location box and this will appear just under your name and location each time you post....

Will let you know when it's fixed...

K x

All sorted now Vaughan and I've added the info to your profile, let me know if you have any more problems.

Welcome Vaughan. I'm so glad Karen has set up BHG it's so good to be able to talk about it even four and a half years on. SAH in 2004, second coiling 2006 and discharged end of 2006 and now training for my third London Marathon for the cause.

The exhaustion was so overwhelming and although it got better I'd learned to accept it and decided it was partly old age - once I'd recovered as it were and got through the second op and started to train for the marathon I still got tired but it was more physical like the training did something for my brain and stopped the mental tiredness and calmed it all down. I still find it triggers if I get stressed, but even this time last year I would've been in bed at 10pm on the dot but now I realise I'm more "normal" in that respect. I think we adapt to it - that the stress of the SAH combined with the stress of the fall out from it and the challenges are equally exhausting and it's a double whammy - as we learn to deal with it we get stronger and learn what's right and what's not right for us.

That said I'm still learning I have to let go of things which exhaust me - couldn't consider clubbing but have been to a party a couple of weeks ago which was my first in ages and I felt brave enough to go. I just sing along to Leona Lewis now, It'll all get better in time ... it takes a heck of a long time but a slower life is much much nicer now from one who liked the faster lane.

That said, I went to the Caribbean on my own just before Christmas and went scuba diving so it doesn't get much better than that and I think my life is probably much richer than it was before ... even though I get my down moments.

I just don't do late nights any more and they don't appeal as I keel over by midnight! (probably more like 11 pm and 12 on a good night, past then it's the pumpkin carriage)

I dont' think even a year ago I'd have felt this way, so it does get better, you just have to believe it, best wishes.

Lauren x

So good to read your post Lauren and realise there is light at end of the tunnel, I am physically exhausted, its an effort to walk the dog but I do. I used to be fit and always up for a challenge and as you say lived life in the fast lane! I am ready to take life slower but hate the feeling of exhaustion all the time, its like recovering fro the flu day after day. I know I have to be patient and it will get better. So glad this site is hear to share experiences and the ups and downs!

Caroline