‘Flooding’ sensory overload of the brain

Once of the most distressing things for me post SAH was my ability to cope with cognitive demand and sensory overload. It was painful. In time that’s passed since, 7yrs, I have learnt more about my triggers but also how to pace and rest in ways that’s right for me but I still know flooding can and does happen. I still wear  sunglasses and earplugs on many occasions and still alway carry them. 

lots of people come to site and struggle with the sensations and how this feels And I think this is a great education video that explains it 

credit to Northern Brain Injury Association 

Was good Daffs,

Perhaps that is why I couldn't listen to my Sister for long as she only told me tales of woes and her troubles.  My brain couldn't take it.

I used to want her to hush up as it gave me bad head lol Poor Sis.  When recovering I was selfish and didn't want to hear about her Sons arguing.

Even the man talking I wanted to say oh come on spit it out (I think it is me) ha ha.  Guess I have got self centred since brain malfunction lol

Thanks for that Daffs methinks I should look at self rather than blame others  (I wont) xxxx

LOL Casey, I got pretty upset when my neurologist told me part of my brain had died and I was being stubborn trying to fight my way through on my own.  The meds he prescribed have helped but I keep the dosage low.  I think just coming to grips with reality was invaluable for coping. 

Thanks for for the video Daff, I'm sure it will help many. 

Colleen

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, Daffodil, thank you so much for this video.

This is just me too a tee. I'm having to try to adjust to the flooding and this has clarified exactly how it is. I can show this video to my family, so they can understand how sensory overload affects us.

I had to go for another MRI a few weeks back. It was torture for me, even with the head blocks and ear plugs, this sent my brain into shutdown.

I did my meditation and relaxation during the MRI, which helped to calm me down, I came out with tears falling down my cheeks.

Being sat up by the radiographer, not knowing where I was, feeling very spaced out. Thank goodness my daughter was with me. I had my dark glasses and ear plugs to hand and had to stay in the sitting area for over an hour, sipping water waiting for my brain to calm down, I was wiped out.

It took me a week to get over that experience, sensory overload the worst i've had to endure, but i'm finding ways to cope better. This video has made me feel like i'm not on my own.

Thank you so much xxx

Bev ,no not on your own, and not ‘not coping’ , not ‘overreacting’ , not ‘being weak’ , it’s a very real consequence of our bleeds, 

It has got better for me. I still always carry my super duper noise cancelling ear plugs ready in bag together with sunglasses. I wear a hat especially if it’s windy...(wind really affects me, it’s  like it shakes the neutrons up ), but it’s way better for me these days or maybe I’m just more used to it. But I recall what you describe so well.

It was always just around the corner and so much used to wipe me out and then would make me physically sick, fall over and just be full of dread. It can still happen but usually only if I’ve completely ignored signs and just ploughed on through . So make allowance when you know something will have an effect and recognise the cognitive effort of all the things our brain used to just be able to filter.

I look at it this way. Our brains basically sponged up the blood, I think that furs up some of the processing ability for all the millions of tasks that it does without us noticing, so add healing effort and energy in the mix it’s no wonder it goes a little haywire and throws us blips. It’s pretty blooming amazing when you think about it, 

Glad you found the video useful. Go steady now. 

• 1 year later...

Thank you Daffodil

I knew something made me feel dreadful but having it explained like this will help me a lot.

I know to avoid certain shops (lights) younger grandchildren (noise)and a few more.

The latest is when things go wrong on this iPad which is quite often.

I've learnt more in a week on this site than I have in eight years.

Thanks again Compostc

• 1 month later...

This topic is me to a T. Wow, it's about time I heard more about this. This is the kind of thing you get here and nowhere else. My doc said what they call this is "need for cognitive rest". You need cognitive rest. I put headphones on when people are blabbermouthing and it annoys me trivial conversations when I'm trying to concentrate. Some people think I'm probably a jerk, but they don't understand what I'm doing. 

• 1 month later...

After watching this video in November I thought it was time to make some changes.

So three month later I feel better than I ever have since my SAH.

I would like to say that it’s down to me, but it’s mostly down to COVID.

Lockdown has eliminated most of my triggers, plus I’ve done very little work.

Self isolating twice, two weeks off over Christmas, two weeks off hurt my back, plus floods and snow.

Trouble is next three months I have a lot of catching up to do, after seeing how good life can be I'm determined to make changes.

It will be interesting to see what happens, l know that I’ll overdo it some days, hopefully not many.

I've also been doing mindfulness which is very helpful.

Seem to be getting on top of COVID and spring coming so hopefully happy days ahead.

Compostc.

Archived