Recovery advice wanted

Guest joanne

Hi Joanne

I can't advise you on this but I can tell you my experience. As I am on my own and had just started in the job I rushed back after 8 weeks thinking I was fine and they'd be a bit caring as I'd just started in the NHS after working in the City so I could be around for my mum and her ill health probs. Had a grade II was coiled had been in coma for a couple of days. My manager did not want to accommodate me and made my life very difficult and I got cross with their behaviour and the union and HR got involved who were great. They seconded me elsewhere working part time and I did a really good project, treated right and without discrimation and caring I was fine. Then I went back to where I was before and they acted up and I got really stressed out, around the time of the angio six months on, kept picking on nothing and moved the goalposts and it really made me unwell and my recovery was seriously impaired by it all. They tried to get me out on the capability policy in the trust and I consulted solicitors as I realised my life depended on sticking up for myself and it got really very unpleasant but the union and HR stood by me and I was actually promoted out of the situation as they said I was working below my intellectual capability which was the cause of the problem. Now nearly 5 years on I'm in an even nicer job in the Trust and I've built up a great mix of colleagues - those who believed I had something to offer stood up for me. If I had to do it again in hindsight and didn't only have myself to fall back on I would've taken six months off - as I don't believe you lose your abilities brain injury requires loads of rest and recuperation - or just gone back a couple of days a week - as the brain and spine bunch told me - and gradually built back to full time over the course of a year.

I think it all depends on the sensitivity of the people you are working for and if you can trust them to believe you when you say you need a break and give you some space here and there, and believe in your recovery and don't think SAH is permanent brain damage then you can make a choice based on how they respond to your situation. Hope that helps. Honestly it really does get a lot better and I could mark it on a month by month basis, just trust your instincts and I wish you all the best. I never thought I'd be in the Caribbean on my own scuba diving and whale watching this time six months after the SAH as I did in Decmeber, and I couldn't even read a map properly or find my way to Bluewater a year post the SAH, but heck I've done it so just believe and you will find out who your true friends are. I also had a second coiling along the way it really does get better. I found some people are just so scared of brain stuff and that's the hardest part to deal with. Hope that makes some sense to you Laurenx

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

Just an update on the hospital situation. My doctor wrote to them and my appointment has now been brought forward to 25 Feb 2009 !! I also found out, that I was put on the urgent list in December for a further angiogram, (within 6 weeks of the 9 December). I only found this out following a letter asking if I still needed the procedure, (what procedure I asked). Following a phone call they told me the above. That was the 26 Jan 09 and so far I am still waiting for a date! I spoke to the consultant's secretary on Monday, and was told she was unable to give me any timescale as they had to cancel all appointments for Jan as there were no beds!! Just as well it wasn't anything too serious and this week I can laugh it off...last week...not so sure.

My blood pressure, which has so far been not too bad, and I thought I had escaped any problems with that,has, over the last few weeks increased and I now have to monitor it morning & night. Did anyone else have this...ok for a few months and then started playing up? What was classed as high BP and what did your GP recommend?

My head today feels like it is full of cotton wool and I am so tired. I was supposed to be seeing the Occ health nurse in work tomorrow, but really don't feel up to it, so have decided to speak to her via the phone and tell her what's what and update her with the hospital appointment etc.

Hope everyone is ok.

Joanne

My blood pressure, which has so far been not too bad, and I thought I had escaped any problems with that,has, over the last few weeks increased and I now have to monitor it morning & night. Did anyone else have this...ok for a few months and then started playing up? What was classed as high BP and what did your GP recommend?

Hi Joanne

My BP was very high after SAH; consistently over 165/110, but it was always high anyway. My GP said it was too high, but didn't want to treat it saying that the recovering brain can often call for more blood causing high BP. My NS also said the same thing when I saw him at 3 months, telling me that the time was now right for my GP to deal with it. I was told that diet and lifestyle can help lower BP, but in my case, medication was also required because, as the doc put it, I'd already had an "event". I am now on 3 different BP meds and my BP is consistently below 140/90.

As for what is normal BP, you GP can tell you, but there is also some good information on the Blood Pressure Association website http://www.bpassoc.org.uk

Regards

Keith

Hi Joanne! My BP is kept stable on a small dose of cozaar, I’m also trying to step up the exercise (walking and swimming) and reduce a little weight! I would prefer to make life style changes but recognise that high BP carries the risk of a repeat….will in any event pop along to my gp for a review as lately concerned with increase in headaches.

Sounds like you are making good progress. Your 'cotton wool' head, which I describe as brain fog will lift...weather is foul and is probably affecting it too. Don’t be pushed back to work too soon; agree to nothing, until you’ve weighed up how you feel physically and emotionally! I consider I was very fit pre-sah, and afterwards I made it my goal to regain my former physical strength and emotions before I returned to work, a year later…to something different and far more enjoyable and interesting. My previous work was stressful, mentally exhausting, and now…I work to the hours I want to do whilst retraining for something different!! This is just what I HAD to do, but while you’re signed off work recovering, take stock of your life and re-evaluate, make changes that suit YOU!

Keep positive!

Anya

I feel like you Joanne, tired, no energy and my legs feel like jelly! have got occupational health appt next week. Thats a good goal Anya, I too was quite fit pre SAH and will try to regain it again! I too am aiming for a new and different job and looking forward to it!

Caroline

Hi Joanne

Welcome to BTG. I cannot advise you I can only tell you of my experience and let you draw your own conclusions. I went back after 8 weeks, after 12 they tried to make me go full time. I just found it too much and had to go part time in another department and all was well, however when I went back to my job after 6 months working full time just before my follow up angio, and, knowing they didn't really want me, I wish I'd not put myself through it all now it was just too much. Also for the first year I really couldn't handle too much noise or people being stressed around me as it just rubbed off and made me nervous and was very wearing. I wished I'd just known how to look after myself a bit more!

Good luck and best wishes

Lauren x

Guest Vivienne

Hi to everyone,

Just on the subject of returning to work, I'm a HCA at a day surgery unit at a local hospital, and the thought of going back absolutely terrifies me. Just thinking about the ten and twelve hour shifts makes me sweat!

My dr has told me not to worry about it, he won't let me go back until he's happy I'm 100% better. Phew!

Vivienne

Feeling a lot better today, although headache still in the background. I haven't had one for weeks, but this week its there all the.

It's like reading my own thoughts looking at some of the messages here; terrified of going back to work, but I think that's because I'm also thinking its time to do something else completely different...just finding the what and the opportunity. However I'm not rushing and at least I can go back and see if it really is time to change.

Have a good weekend...

Jo