Sleep, day time rest and dreams.......

I remember having quite bizzare dreams (well not remember exactly but what i told the kids after) They were with me for the first 4 weeks in hospital after my SAH. Sometimes I had trouble sleeping but that i think was due to years of night shift on the wards. 6 months before my SAH i went on days so had trouble adapting and was on a course of sleepers to get a sleeping pattern established which was successful Anyway SAH happened and that was that. I again take sleepers. I have no memory of dreams except when I am going off to sleep and they are nightmarish. I too have to get up, even after a sleeper. Also in the morning if I am woke up and try and get back to sleep I have nightmarish dreams but I seem to know I am not in a proper sleep..........very weird.lol Even after 21 months and 3 or 4 Ops......can't remember how many but definitely 3 I still need a nap most afternoons and also have trouble getting up in the morning. Sometimes i still even have to have what i call "bed days" but I try and avoid that if i possibly can

Mollie xxx

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gosh. I haven't visited in so long because I have been feeling so back to "normal." But this past week, I am hit with the absolute need to sleep by about 1pm. It is almost as bad as when I first got out of hospital. So yes I am napping daily again.

I know my brain must need it but I feel like such a sloth. I am beating myself up because there are so many things I could or should be doing rather than having a sleep.

Linda

Guest Blossomuk

The first week I got out of hospital I was so tired and slept almost all of the day every day for 3 or 4 days. I think this was due to the lack of rest I got in there, 2 hourly obs and being on a HDU ward with monitors bleeping every second and most of all to scared to go to sleep!

5 weeks on I have to have a sleep during the day I can feel my eyes starting to burn & blurr! My left side gets numb and pains in my arm & hand, I have nights where I sleep very well and other nights where I sleep for a couple of hours and no matter what I try I cant get back to sleep, thats one of the annoying parts of having an SAH! So far I havent had any vivid dreams although I did dream alot before the SAH!

Hope this helps

Jac x

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there

My Sleep has been greatly disrupted by the SAH. Prior I had no problems and Dreamed quite frequently.

I stopped dreaming for a long time after the SAH, when I awoke it would seem that I was only sleeping for minutes and I was as exhausted as ever.

For me progress was when I had my first dream again and tried to get my sleeping patterns back into a routine. This was helped by sleeping tablets and I think time. Now my Insomnia is much less common and more likely to be attributed to the days activity and poor sleep pattern.

Depending on my level of activity I will generally need at least 1hr nap in the day but i find that I am now able to power nap. I'm currently having Major Fatigue issues at the moment but before that Tiredness had started to balance out.

For me once I got the first year over me things started to improve.

Aine x

• 2 months later...

Hi karen,

For quite a while after my stroke I would get tired very easily. If I had a doc appointment , the next day I would be a zombie. I still take care of shopping, housework, cooking, etc., in the morning because I tend to fade out in the afternoon; but even that has improved over the years.

Sleeping, well, sometimes I have a problem - sometimes I don't. I've been taking an OTC sleep aid for years - usually that helps

suse :mrgreen:

• 1 month later...
Guest mollie

My sleep patterns have changed enormously since the SAH. I didn't have too much bother sleeping before but sometimes needed a helping hand with working night shift so I used to take about a 1/4 of a sleeping pill to get me there then had a good sleep. As for dreams now. I don't dream and always wake up tired providing I have been to sleep that is. The only dream I vividly remember is a few weeks ago and i dreamt of my Mum god rest her. It was a happy dream though I can't remember the content but I awoke feeling rested and relaxed. I still often have to nap during the day and also have strange head noises that the doc put down to High Blood Pressure. Of course nothing was done about it and no medication given. To be honest I am fed up with no back up and incompetent Docs not even investigating symptoms that are staring them in the face. They are leaving it to Walton which isn't a lot of help if anything happens in the meantime cos i am in the Isle of Man. OMG here i go again moaning..............sorry guys they even took my antidepressants from me because they reckon they are causing palpitations and HBP but no alternative given so the consequence of that is I am at rock bottom and don't know what to do next :cry::cry:

Sorry for rambling

Mollie xxx

Guest jackie webber

I need a lot more sleep since my illness. I go to bed at around 9 and try to read but am often asleep before the ten o'clock news! I do not have any dreams whatsoever which I find rather odd. I can't cope with activities in the evenings but was never a night owl! I seem to have lost my ability to concentrate and lose the thread of telly programmes quite quickly. I was really upset that I found it hard to read initially because I would forget the plot of the book but my sister got me a book of short inter related stories which I managed and I am now able to read a novel far more easily than a few months ago. I am far more able to do my crosswords than I was a few months back which I find a positive step. Hope this is of use

Jackie x

How did i miss this posting, probably asleep. I sleep for Scotland and i do not fight the sleep but listen to my brain when it tells me to sleep.

I have very vivid dreams that are not pleasant but my doctor and others put that to the side effects of Citalopram my anti anxiety drug. The side effects are not nice but better than the anxiety.

Stephen

• 3 months later...

Hello,

I used to be a light sleeper anyway but since my SAH my sleeping has got a lot worse. I sometimes managed between two and four hours a night if I am lucky.

I do get a lot more tired than I used to but I think that age may be catching up with me anyway.

Doctor has told me to give up caffeine. That was harder than giving up smoking! So now I am on herbal teas. But my sleeping is getting better.

If anyine is still struggling, I would recommend Valerien tea. It is amazingly effective. But if you have a cat you may have to drink it quickly as my cat loves the stuff!!!

Hi Karen

I sleep better now than before, but that maybe the meds - I am on Phenytoin, & soon to be changed to something else ( but can't remember what the consultant said yesterday - lol!) - I don't seem to dream much at all; certainly have no recollection/bits of remembered drreams on waking like before - again could be the meds.

I do find I am better during the day if I keep to a regular sleep pattern, ie going to bed and waking the same times each day. I don't have naps in the day now, although sometimes I would probably benefit from doing so.

If I have been out and dealt with a lot of people say - ie going over to a friends for supper & the kids are all being kids and there is lots of chat etc - I do find I need to come home and be very quiet, in the dark and left alone for quite a while to get over it. It's like there is only some much info my brain is prepared to process before it shuts down.

Hope this is of some help,

Helen. x

I need to have one or two naps during daytime. Depends what I've been doing that day. (It's like my brain is filled up with information, and the only way to empty it is by sleeping). I allso need to relax in the evening. Then I turn of the TV and read some comic books. (I don't have the consentration to sit down and read normal books anymore).

At night I more often have crazy dreams and nightmares than I used to before i got sick.

Today I got up at 8 am to see my son off to school, and was back in bed by 9am. I then slept through to 3-45pm (waking briefly for 5 mins at a time) until he got home at 3-45pm.

I've had some really weird/scary dreams lately - most unpleasant. :shock: and like others have mentioned, I often experience that horrible jolting sensation just as I'm nodding off.

• 5 months later...

I seem to be opposite of most of the posts except for Janet. Since 2001 I haven't had a dream Absolutely nothing.... Zilch. Go to bed, close my eyes -- blackness/ nothing--wake up.Never feel really refreshed and neurologist can't tell me if I don't dream or have just lost the ability to remember!

This is interesting because I was very aware after my SAH that I wasn't remembering any dreams any more. Or wasn't dreaming - who knows?! However, after about three months they came back again and I now have quite vivid dreams again....

Sorry from me too:crazy: I slept alot when I first left hospital and for the first three months. Since then I have to have at least nine hours and a nap during the day or I get restless and fidgety and not worth knowing! I don't always have the time to fit a nap in during the day, and I get more tired so have to get an early night or I will suffer the day after! Either way I need alot more sleep and fall asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow. That can be in the afternoon or night! My dreams are alot more vivid than they used to be . They are now like action packed movies and are very real, although try as I might I still forget them very quickly when I wake up.:frown: Maggiex

Hi all

I have always dreamt and since my sah/stroke i have really vivid dreams bit also if we have had a really busy day or watched and action packed film, actually even a nice funny film i re-live the whole thing it drives me nuts especially when i dont know whether it really happened and i wake up with my eyes really aching/hurting also i still talk...chattering away...i swop between hyperactive dreams or totally relaxed and have one of my episodes which i did last sunday and unfortunately bit my tongue:shocked:.

Love luck and laughter michelle xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

• 2 months later...

When I left hospital I could have slept for Scotland! I got very little sleep in hospital and that was one of reasons my neurologist wanted me to be discharged home and not to my local hospital.

I've just found this thread! I was aware that I wasn't remembering my dreams. When I go to sleep it's the same for me, darkness and I go out like a light, but I am refreshed in the mornings. But until recently I had to sleep with the bedroom door ajar and the landing light on. About April I was getting a sort dejavu feeling during the day, can't really explain it any other way. But prior to my SAH I had a photographic memory. When I waned to recall something it was like I was rewinding a video. Now when I try to do that I get blackness.

But since June I have remembered 3 dreams! The dejavu feeling got stronger and hey presto I remembered a dream! I'm off to bed now, wonder if I'll have any dreams to night!

• 3 months later...

I am 3 months from my SAH and I still need a nap during the day.

My sleep patterns have mostly returned to normal though.

After leaving the hospital my sleep was terrible. I couldnt sleep for more than 45 minutes at a time but I would stay in bed and do that pattern for about 2 weeks.

Then after about 3-4 weeks I got the jolting that many people experience. It lasted for about a week and half. It was so bad it would take me 3 hours to fall asleep at night.

I get the jolts now too but only about every 2-4 days and just one jolt so its not really a problem.

Another sleep issue that is just now resolving is due to my head and neck pain I couldnt sleep on my stomach or face like I have my whole life. It has caused to back pain that hipefully will get better.

The last thing that I have is just as I am about to fall asleep I get a mini anxiety rush and I wake up. I guess I still have some emotional stuff I need to deal with.

I am six months post SAH , i too have these mini anixtey rushes just before i go to sleep where i have to wake up , as my heart is racing, does'nt happen everynight, just when im really tired. I also have a problem falling asleep as i can feel my heart beating, it can be in my head or just in my body, very weird for me as i never felt my heart beating before, it frecks me out abit!! Maybe it's because i've lost abt stone and a half in weight since i've been sick. Did anyone else feel this ???

Rhiann x