Project - Various

Hi Penny,

I personally agree with you and would imagine that with your own particular case history, that it would be too much of coincidence not to link both the head injury and an immediate bleed from an aneurysm ....unless you were extremely unlucky. I can understand your anger though and can also understand that most people on here search for answers. I am personally glad that I didn't realise that I had this ticking time bomb in my head, as I think that it would have made me think twice about doing many things in my life.

Wishing you well..xx

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My neuroradiologist asked if I'd been in a car accident because he said he'd only ever seen my kind of SAH as a result of one because the artery was in such a mess. I've never been involved in a car accident. He also told me that I more or less was born with the default in the artery wall. I agree with Karen, I don't believe car accidents can cause a aneurysm to grow but could, maybe, be one of the many reasons that they burst. I was also told that there's actually quite a number of people who have aneurysms, live their life to the full and it never affects them. The rare thing is an aneurysm actually rupturing. I guess we are just the unlucky ones that circumstances were such that our aneurysms did.

I have a medical report that says it is very possible that the bang on the head was responsible for the anni to "change dynamics", the medical experts words, not mine.

In spite of that I still personally think that it was raised blood pressure that caused it to pop because normally my blood pressure is on the low side.

But who am I to argue with medical opinion, it is just a gut feeling on my part.

As Karen, I am glad that I didn't know about it or I wouldn't have done many of the things that I did do.

Hi Liz and Penny,

I have done a lot of reading up on SAH and aneurysms since my own SAH in 2005. Most of what I have read, hasn't given me any answers or conclusions and looking at the subject nearly 6 yrs on, I doubt that it's possible to do so.

However, it doesn't seem as though a lot of research has been carried out into realistic long term recovery and the affect that a SAH has, both on patients and their family....physically and mentally and this is an area that needs to be tackled and addressed as a means of supporting people in their early years of recovery and helping them to come to terms with life as it is now.

Since starting this website in 2006, there is always a common theme that I see running through every new person that joins this site and posts. Many feel as though they weren't given any recovery information and if they were, then it's often been inaccurate for them, or they've been given a recovery time scale that hasn't been attainable and many have been left feeling like a failure if they haven't achieved said time scale.

At the end of the day, we can't change what has happened to us, but with realistic support and sharing recovery info between us, we can hopefully make a bit of difference to someone's day.....xx

Hi Karen,

I was told earlier this week that it is 'unlikely' I will return to my my pre SAH self but that small improvements might happen. I think it would have been beneficial to know this a VERY long time ago (SAH July 2008). I already suspected that some things were permanent but it is very hard to hear this so long after the event.

I asked every medical person I had contact with if they knew anyone who had ever felt they recovered enough to be 'like it had never happened'. To their credit they all took time to explain that there is always a chance of some improvement (i.e don't ctush the patients hopes!). Personally I think it would have helped me to know much sooner rather than beat myself up that i'm not trying hard enough - other people get better....

I also found out this week that the brain cells surrounding the cells that were damaged can temporarily close down (shock?) and this is why it can take many months to see how things are (as they can re-awaken over time?). However after 2+ yrs they aren't going to. Do you have any info on time scales for brain cell recovery - I'm not looking for a miracle by the way - I accept what is - but it would have been good (good ha ha!) to know sooner what the likelyhood of recovery was.

Thank you xx

Hi Karen

I was 47 when i had the SAH

There were two annis revealed a large and a small one> Small anni cause the bleed. It was clipped. Large anni strange shape and proved to difficult to clip so wrapped and clipped. Dont know where they were exactly but had cranioptomy on left side of head. Happened 29th Sept 2010. Only just begining to have some strange headaches nd pain around left eye socket.

Karen

Hi Karen

Age 41

Anterior Communicating Choroidal Artery

Male

Guggli whatsit coils, I think they said 11 of them.

Ischaemic stroke whilst on table.

used to smoke, gave up 2 years pre anni. fat lot of good it did me!

Would love to know the results of this little survey

TTFN