Project - Various

My SAH and the other were on the cerebral artery the one that hadn't ruptured was 7mm the other all it says was it was large bigger than the other. And will have to read through the notes to find out what the clips were made of. Jess.xxx

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Blossomuk

37 when had SAH

think its a non-aneurysm , still not sure! have more defects on my left side, so I'm guessing it was right side bleed.

Ooops, like Sami, thought I had responded :)

I am female, and I was 33 when I had my SAH, on 29th Oct 2004

One aneurysm ruptured, and a 2nd was found later:

Middle cerebral artery aneurysm and PICA (posterior inferior cerebellar artery) - both coiled with platinum, and as far as I know the number of coils was 10+ each.

Cheers :)

Blondie

• 3 months later...

As you may know from previous posts, that I'm continuing with some personal research into SAH, which I'm looking to add to the homepage....there's a lot of valuable information on this website and it would be beneficial to all, if we can put it in one place.

The ratio of women to men experiencing a SAH is 3:2 ...... therefore, it's more prevalent in females .... So, it begs the question, as to why? I've often wondered whether there is some correlation with pregnancy and childbirth. As my migraine headaches developed (even though they stopped after teenage years) and I started to experience aura, after the birth of my 2nd child....

I've recently read in medical papers, that women in their 3rd trimester of pregnancy are also prone to having a SAH ......which is v.interesting and something that I will look into further.

I would really appreciate it, if all of you ladies, that have contributed to this topic, add whether or not, you had children before your SAH.

Many thanks.

Thanks Ladies for your replies..... :D

I'm just trying to cover all angles and gather as much info as possible and then put an overall picture on the website.

As to whether or not, pregnancy/childbirth can actually exacerbate the situation, is something that I can't answer .... I was told that I was probably born with the weakness .... but, as the ratio of females to males is greater, then it does pose the question, as to why the incidence of females suffering a SAH is larger than the male population.

Really hope that I'm making sense.... :wink:

Hi Karen

I had 2 children before my SAH, and in both I had pre-eclampsia and both were premature, I had the first at 34 weeks and the second at 30 weeks. I was told not to have any more children because of the dangers. I then had a hysterectomy when I was 31

Something my gynaecologist said to me when I was in Frankfurt in February this year after he found out about my SAH, "now he understands why I had so many gynae problems". I don't know if the problems were related to the aneurysms but it would be interesting to know.

Take care.

Myra xx

Hi Karen, I too thought I had responded but it seems not.

I was 51 when I had my SAH with no aneurysm found.

I have two children.

The blood was in the prepontine and interpenduncular cisterns.

Best wishes

Ann

Karen, certainly you are making sense, why more women than men/ Hmmm? There are two factors I wonder about but don't know the answer What is the Male/Female ratio generally anyway are there more men than women or vice versa, it might add up/ All women, on balance, menstruate, therefore does that bear any relation to the incidence? Keep it going Karen, research is both valuable and fun :wink:

Thanks guys for your replies.... :)

Perry, well if more women than men are affected by a SAH, then something has to come into play....hormones, pregnancy, childbirth? ...that's the only differential I can see ..... I'm just bouncing some ideas around from the med papers/info that I've read and I'm certainly no expert ...... but, it is interesting! :wink:

Hi Karen.

Something to ponder ...

Three common risk factors relating to SAH are smoking, hypertension and excessive alcohol consumption. All three are more common in men, but the influence of these risk factors seem to be about equal in men and women. Source: http://stroke.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/full/27/3/544

That makes any exclusively female factors even more influential in explaining why women are more susceptible to SAH than men.

Good luck with your research.

Regards

Keith

Thanks for that Keith ..... just had a quick scan of that paper and will study it a bit more.

It's all v.interesting, but it does make you wonder whether hormones are influencing factors with the female to male ratio. I didn't really think about HRT or the contraceptive pill ..... so, it's another angle to look at and include. Cheers! :)

Its interesting to read all your posts and it does make you think but all the Neurologist says is that there is no non cause to WHY we have sah x

I want to have more children and have been told I am fine to do so x

I want about one more but that is based on the fact that 2 are enough :lol:

I am going to see a neurologist in the near future because the nurse feels this would help me x x

I think I am just seeking answers but ? will they have them x x

why do i feel dizzy and wake up EVERYDAY worried all the time when all i want to do is get on with my life x x

love donna x x x x x

• 7 months later...

Hi Karen,

I was 52 years old when I had my SAH. Will find out what was bleeding next week, seeing consultant, my bleed was in the centre of my brain. I had a secondary bleed behind my left eye and then I had Hydrocephalus. Also a Shunt fitted and drained to the stomach.

My final problem was an aneurysm which was coiled.

Cheers

John

Edited by johntaras