so worried - any advice appreciated

Hi Besie

not much more I can add that others havent said....

I have a shunt in my brain and a tube too that helps the shunt along sometimes,

I produce too many vitamns so my shunt/tube is always working.....

take care

Louise.xx

Thank you for the info about shunts. Shes had her temporary drain removed and the doctor hasn't mentioned anything else about a permenant shunt so will see what happens.

The worrying thing now, is that although her ventriculitis infection has cleared up, she now has a fever and high temperature and the doctor doesn't know why?

He said all her tests are coming back as clear and they even tested for an embolism but thats not it.

Has anyone ever heard of a patient getting fever and high temperature 27 days after an SAH?

Edited to add: her breathing is also very shallow and she is on low level oxygen through a mask.

Edited by bessie

Thanks paul have replied to you.

I have just phoned the HDU this morning to see how my Mum was throughout the night and if she is still on the oxygen. The nurse who answered said she is having a nebulizer at the moment.

When I asked what this was she replied, to prevent panic attacks? Anyone ever heard of this?

Guest ElaineW

Hi there - hang in there - what is happening to your mum sounds like the norm to me, I can relate to almost all of it when my mum was going through the same but I agree it is really hard to deal with. My mum didn't have a shunt but she did have problems with the drain at times and had a nebuliser.

Elaine

Hi Bessie,

Just wanted to let you know that I had a high fever and high temperature over 2 weeks after my SAH. They tested and tested and couldn't fnd the reason for it, in the end when they discharged me they still had no answers but thought i was better off n my own home.

A mystery still 2 1/2 years on....

Stay positive

Laura

xx

Thank you for the reasurring posts.

Mums been in HDU for about 4 days now and we have been told has had a fever and high temperature for about 7 days. She has now developed a rash across her stomach which has spread. The doctors don't know what this is?

She doesn't actually have a lumber drain (my mistake) but has had 2 lumber punctures to drain off fluid and they have been tested and are normal. She is having a third lumber puncture today.

Her ventriculitis infection is now clear, chest xrays are normal, bloods are normal and she had an eeg or ecg yesterday but we are waiting to hear back about that.

She can hardly speak and we cannot understand what she says. Her tongue looks blistered but at least the cuts and scabs around her mouth have cleared up (thanks to liquid paraffin). Its as if she cannot move her jaw very much?

She is still being fed and given fluids through a tube as she cannot eat or swallow properly.

It helps to write it down, thank goodness I found this site :-)

The fever, high temp and rash are due to an allergic reaction to the antibiotics they were giving her for the ventriculitis infection.

Thank goodness the ventriculitis is showing as clear and they have stopped giving her the antibiotics.

She was a little brighter yesterday and is asking for food and water. I understood what she was saying alot more. I pray that she is (at long last) on the road to a complication free recovery.

Fingers crossed.

Hello,

Having first thought the ventriculitis infection had cleared we are now told that she is still on vancomycin antibiotics as the last lot of tests showed a slight trace of infection. She was previously on gentamicin.

She is on piriton for her allergic reaction but is still not allowed to eat or drink anything.

Its still a worrying time and its not knowing the outcome day after day. She wants to come home and its breaking my heart seeing her laying there and I can do nothing (medical anyway) to help her.