So worried about my husband

My husband was discharged from Frenchay yesterday afternoon and is now home.

Unfortunately I didn't get to speak to a doctor and they have bascially just told him that if the dizziness doesn't stop in a few weeks to go back to his GP. He was told that this should ease once the blood dissipates - I wonder how it does that?

So they don't know what happened and there was nothing visible that they could fix. I know I should probably find this reassuring, but I feel so worried that it may happen again.

He had a total of three CT scans, an MRI and the angiogram and yet they could find nothing untoward.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

Lovely to hear that you have your husband back home with you. What a shame that you didn't get to speak to the Neurological team.

Recovery is different for all of us regardless of whether a cause is found. Your husband will feel really tired (fatigued) after even doing the smallest of tasks the most important thing in the early weeks is plenty of rest and fluids.

The blood does slowly drain away down the spine thats why some of our members had problems with backpain/legpain.

There is an earlier topic on this thread about Non-Anuerysm SAH if you key it in the search box at the top it will bring the subject up for you. It should hopefully answer some of the questions you've not yet been able to ask.

Think this is the right link http://www.behindthegray.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=4224

Janet x

Edited by Janet

Does anyone know roughly how long it takes for blood in the spinal fluid to dissipate. He is still very dizzy and has bad headaches, doesn't seem any better at all.

Every time he sighs or makes a move I nearly jump out of my skin and ask him if he is alright, I feel that I am being totally paranoid but just can't help it.

Thank you for all your support, it is greatly appreciated.

The doctor did give me a sick note for 2 weeks off work. Some people I have told this to seem very surprised as I am not the one who is sick. To be honest I feel like I have had the stuffing knocked out of me and feel totally drained. I never normally take any time off from work sick and feel they should understand just how traumatic being the partner of someone who has suffered from SAH is. It is like going to hell and back!

Edited by melbury

I know exactly how you feel and how scared you must feel now your husband is home with you. I also felt the same when mine came home from hospital it is very scary and frightening especially when our husbands are still suffering.

For me as time when on the scared feelings lessened, and i no longer used to wake up during the night to see if he was still breathing.

My husband is almost a year on and still has headaches and all of the other physical symptoms that others talk about here. There is still a lot of things he still cant do that i have to, we don't know if he will be able to deal/cope/do the things he was able to do before.

I found it difficult taking over the things he was unable to do and at times it got on my nerves but it lessened as time went on, there are still days when i get irritated with him and i am sure that will continue, but it isnt his fault he just cant help it. One thing i learnt is you also need ME TIME or you will go totally mad, even if it means asking a friend or family member to come and sit with him whilst you go out for a few hours.

It took me a long time to come to terms with what had happened to him and to us, our lives as partners/carers change as well as the person who has had the SAH.

I find for the most part people and family members think because he looks ok he is, that makes it difficult for me as they dont chip in and help but hey thats life as the saying goes.

I know it is hard but it will get easier in time for you and i know how scary it is.

My GP gave me sick certificates for as long as i wanted and i think in total i had around 3 months or so sick time from work.

If you wish to pm me then please do.

Poppy

Edited by poppy

Hello again everyone.

My husband has been home now for five days and is not showing any sign of improvement. He is so tired and still very dizzy - nearly falls over if he turns his head a certain way and cannot bend down. I do feel that as soon as the doctors did the angiogram and couldn't find an aneurysm or any obvious cause of his bleed, they seemed to just cast him adrift.

He was given no aftercare instructions or anything like that, just told to go back to his GP if there was no improvement in a couple of weeks.

I am so scared that he will have another one and know that I am driving him mad asking all the time how he is feeling.

Is there anyone who has suffered a non-aneurysmal SAH who could give me some advice about the expected recovery time. I am assuming it has everything to do with getting rid of the blood in the spinal fluid and it is this that is making him feel so unwell. It has also had an impact on his vision.

Thanks.

Hi there

I've been on holiday so hello and welcome to the site.

Sorry to hear about your husband there are a few on here with None-annies, think Its just under carers support on the index page......

if things arent impoving why not get the GP in, to have a look at your husband and explane things to you about it......

I know that I was plauged with tiredness for a long time after still am but its better now & I can control it to a degree....

I dont think any of us were giving much aftercare info which is one of the bug barers with most people.....

He's probably as scared as you its a hard thing to get your heads around that it wont happen again, but eventually you will - I did.....

But speak to the GP.......

take care and look after YOURSELF because it is a tireing thing to care fore someone....

Louise.xxx

I am wondering if anybody has heard of this as a result of an SAH.

My husband gets the feeling that the underside of both his lower arms are burning - not hot burning, but more a very cold sensation on the inside like ice. This happens several times a day and he can't understand why. Could it be something to do with nerve ends?

The dizziness is not subsiding at all yet, still I suppose he is only 4 weeks on from the SAH.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi again:-D I found and have gathered from others experience that the brain does play tricks for some time after SAH, it is as far as I know as a result of the damage done by the bleed, but will gradually improve:-D You are both in the very early stages and I'm sure these odd things will keep popping up, something which does seem to happen quite a lot! I itched and itched but there was nothing there, not a flea, a midge or a spot! This does not happen now, and I admit I'm very grateful Keep going both of you it's a tough road but does have an ending;-)

I am such an idiot!

I read through the DVLA information and was sure that because my husband had a "no cause found" SAH and it says can drive again as soon as recovered, that he didn't need to notify them, but on re-reading it, I was obviously wrong.

What is the procedure for this?

Is it necessary to notify insurance company as well? I only renewed his car insurance a couple of days ago - what will they say?

Any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

He is very sensible and wouldn't consider driving while he feels so unwell.

Hi,

Would advise you to contact the DVLA and your Insurance Company via phone, as soon as possible .....

The Insurance company, won't normally "up" the premium, but you do need to make them aware or you could find that your insurance isn't worth the paper that it's written on .... Insurance companies will do pretty much anything, not to pay out on a claim, so don't give them any excuse.

It's better to contact both the DVLA and your Insurance Company direct ..... they will be able to advise you in a professional capacity. The DVLA are pretty good with dealing with this sort of problem and I found them very helpful.

Good Luck....xx

Took husband to see GP today and she is referring him to a neurologist just to check out the strange feeling he gets in his arms and in general I suppose. I am glad because it will be nice to have someone to actually sit down and talk to about the whole thing and be able to ask questions. She said that neurosurgeons do tend to quickly cast adrift cases where it is established that surgery is not necessary.

Also asked her about the driving issue and she didn't see any reason why the DVLA should be notified as no cause was found and he isn't driving at the moment anyway, so I suppose that is OK.

I am back at work this week and trying hard to get back to some form of normality. The whole thing just seems like an awful nightmare.

Hope everyone is well and thank you all so much for the support.

When we saw the GP last week I mentioned that my husband's sick note was running out. She wrote another one for 4 weeks and said but if he feels better before then he can go back to work:crazy:

He cannot even get out of bed on his own or put his socks on. He is still so dizzy and has bad headaches. I just cannot understand that they would think he can back to carrying out a manual job that often involves using electric saws etc feeling as bad as he does - are they mad? He hasn't left the house since coming out of hospital.

Do you just have to keep going back and saying that you are just not well enough to return to work? I thought they would have a bit of common sense about it. Not only has he had the SAH, but the shoulder operation he had on the same day has not been getting the post-op attention it should have with everything else going on.

I just despair sometimes, when I look at him I can't see that he will be well enough to return to work for months.

Sorry to rant, it just makes me so mad when I think of all the wastrels there are that get written off for months on end and permanently for next to nothing.

H imy wife had an SAH in March this year 3 major ops later if there's one thing i've learn't is that the professionals all have their own ideas on how this should go I would'nt hang too much on everything they say just make sure that when the time comes you let them know exactly how he's feeling and just what your thoughts are on the matter. I think the Aspirin discussion that has been going on on this site shows how their opinions differ.

We had a meeting with Merrills ns 3 weeks ago and his opinions were completley different on how her recovery and rehab should go than that of the rehab hospital, we talk to them but they don't seem as though they always hear us, Just make sure they do when you think it's worth shouting about and try not to worry too much about everything you hear

Good luck Rod

Edited by rod123

Hi :-D With regards to the Doctors sick note, mine started off like that, i had to keep getting another one, every month then every 3 months. I think it is standard procedure. All added worry, let alone getting to the Doctors, as i cant drive again yet, always relying on others, which i hate. The first 6 months i was hardly out of bed and had double blurry vision, balance problems and was paralysed on right side....so could not work. My GP was very understanding and wrote me a MED 4, which lasts for 6 months. Not ever being in this situation before, it is very confusing, so many forms to fill in and things to sort....i wish you and your hubby well.

Take care

Love Tina xx

Hi there

Yes, think its standard procedure, I had to go every couple of weeks the got one for 6mths, then didnt need one.......but your right its totally confusing even for those unlike me that cant understand things right.....

Try not to dispair, think they have a guide to go by thats all.....

take care of yourself.....

Hi there, Rod Tina and Louse have all hit the nail on the head I think! As Tina says you make the judgment, after all you see him as he is at the moment, and eventually more will happen of that I'm sure if he does not improve Try not to get too bothered by all of this and just let your husband take his time, then you can go back and say 'See';-):cool:

It will be 7 weeks on Monday since my husband's SAH and he really doesn't seem to be improving.

Still has bad headaches and dizziness every day. The strange burning sensation in his arms and back is also getting more frequent. Also since it happened he seems to have digestive problems - feeling sick and terrible burping! Did anyone else get this kind of thing?

Perhaps I am just expecting too much too soon.

It is still really early in your husbands recovery and the headaches and dizziness do get better but it does take time and unfortunately it can't be measured in weeks.

Its must be really hard for you having to come to terms with the effects this is having on your husband but have patience he will start to improve slowly, just make sure he gets plenty of rest and fluids.

Hi sorry to hear things are still not too good for your hubby but as already said it is still very early days, my wife had her sah back in march and still has the dizzeness and headaches, for several weeks she was physicaly sick but the doc gave her antisickness tablets which was placed under her tongue and took about 30 mins to disolve these were very good and always worked, perhaps you could ask your doc about something similar.

This is not like a broken leg where they put it in plaster and 6 weeks later it's mended, as a carer i can tell you things will never move fast enough for you, but recovery for some can be long so try not to expect too much too soon.

Good luck to you both Rod.