So worried about my husband

I suppose it is because he was non-aneurysmal that I am expecting too much.

I still haven't done anything about notifying the DVLA and insurance company. As previously mentioned, the doctor said she didn't see any reason to as he hadn't had any surgery done, so still undecided about that.

Thanks for all your support, it really does help.

Edited by melbury
typo

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

You do need to notify DVLA, the condition is listed and your doctor is wrong. There is quite a hefty fine involved for failing to do so.

See link for Cerebral Haemorrhage down the page

http://www1.rsaconnect.rsagroup.co.uk/UKPExtranet/UWGuide.nsf/0b6c6e47241d046080256c160034856a/2fc74c75cd35c5b280256c1c005d3fb8?OpenDocument

If you don't your insurance will be invalid.

Not good news I know but better to be on the safe side.

Edited by penny
add information

Yes you are right, I guess I will bite the bullet and phone the DVLA this coming week, better to be safe than sorry.

Suppose I should also notify the insurance company, even though I only renewed the insurance a couple of weeks ago - hope they don't question why I didn't tell them then!

Yes you are right, I guess I will bite the bullet and phone the DVLA this coming week, better to be safe than sorry.

Suppose I should also notify the insurance company, even though I only renewed the insurance a couple of weeks ago - hope they don't question why I didn't tell them then!

Just say you didn't know that SAH was reportable until someone told you in passing. I suspect that although he will be able to insure the vehicle he will not be named as a driver.

Ring DVLA first and see what they say about length of time to refrain from driving, then contact the insurance company.

Have phoned the DVLA and they are going to send out a form for us to complete and then they will write to our GP. They said no need to stop driving though at the moment if the GP says it is OK!!!!!!!!!!

I then phoned the insurance company to advise them. They were totally disinterested and said that if the DVLA and GP say driving is OK, then that is fine and he is covered. Didn't want me to write in or anything.

That is good news. At least everything is above board now.

I would still put it in writing to the insurance company and keep a copy. Just to err on the side of caution as they are notorious for trying to wriggle out of claims.

I had to recind my licence as soon as I reported it and I can't have it back because of my continuing dizziness. Never mind, common sense says I wouldn't be safe to drive as I am. I don't think I will ever get it back 5 years down the line as there has been no improvement.

Edited by penny

Hi,

So sorry it took me so long to respond :oops:

My husband Jim also suffered a non-aneruysmal SAH on December 1, 2007.

Like yourself this was a very hard time to get through.

Your husband is still very early in recovery. Alot of the symptoms that your husband is going through Jim went through the same.

He could not sleep unless he was sitting up in a chair and could not get out of the chair without my help.

We feel the same way about the doctor's not finding an aneruysm that they did cast Jim aside. We were also sent on our merry way without any type of information or advice.

Finding BTG was one of the most important things that happened to us in our

lives. I do not know how we could have gotten through this without the many people on this site. Karen is such a wonderful person for starting this site to help so many :wink:

The expected recovery time differs from person to person. Jim still today gets very tired and needs to rest each day for a couple of hours. He did have an extensive bleed. There are things that he cannot do today that he was able to do before but he has come along way in the year and 9 months that has passed. One of the questions you were wondering about was your husband's vision. Jim did have issues with that also. I am sure it was due to the bleed. It does take time for the blood to dissolve.

If you have certain questions that you would like to ask please do.

My thoughts and prayers are with you both. Please try to take time for yourself also. I know this is hard to do as I did not do it for myself either but you do need to rest in order to help your husband.

Cal

XXXX

• 2 weeks later...

I just wondered if any of you have heard if this, or indeed suffered from it yourselves:

Since my husband's SAH, every single day he has the most terrible episodes of burping - I mean really uncontrollable and from deep down, not just the type of burp when you have finished a meal. This can go on for half an hour or more and leaves him feeling quite sick.

We just cannot understand why he should have what is basically a digestive type problem following the brain haemorrhage.

He gets really embarrassed about it and of course when out in the garden it sounds absolutely awful.

Any ideas?

Many thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

We had the long awaited appointment with the neurologist yesterday - we had such high hopes, but came away feeling very despondent.

We were really hoping for some answers to the various health issues that have arisen since the SAH, but the consultant just didn't seem to listen, it was so frustrating, I felt that I knew more about it all than he did.

He tried to tell us that my husband's extreme dizziness is nothing to do with the SAH, more likely some form of vertigo and the fact that it only started since the SAH is just a coincidence:shocked: I think that is total rubbish, just about everything I have read mentions dizziness as a problem post-SAH

As for the other things, he just brushed them aside saying that in his experience he had never heard of an SAH causing these symptoms.

I really felt like saying to him that as he had never actually experienced an SAH himself only via text books, how could he know what it feels like?

It just made me so mad and it was such a disappointment. We had been anxiously awaiting this to try and get some positive answers, but came away no wiser. My husband said he almost felt that it was being implied he was a shirker!

Sorry to moan so much, but just feel really let down.

HI Melbury!

I can relate to your post wholeheartedly. I live in the Canaries on one of the smaller islands and flew over to Gran Canaria yesterday for my visit to the neurosurgeon. One every six months and it lasts about 10 minutes at the most! My scan was ok (which I already knew because they do it at my local hospital and I can read the radiologist's report before the neurosurgeon) and once again I had all my questions brushed aside, exactly as you describe. This doctor saved my life and I am very grateful but I am finding it more and more difficult on each visit to put up with his dismissive attitude. This time I said that if I knew as much as he did I would be sitting at the other side of the desk and wouldn´t need to ask any questions! That shook him a bit and he seemed to tone down his obvious burn-out a little. I can see he´s tired and overworked but I am not to blame for that and I deserve to be treated with respect just as any other human being. My "silly little questions" are important to me and I don´t like to be treated as if I were dumb. I also felt dissapointed (again) but then I expected it. I´m just glad that this time I spoke up for myself! As for my queries which included flying in pressurized cabins, diving and other situations which involve changes in pressure I was told that I have to lose my stage-panic and act like if I was a "normal" person. Fine with me. But he could have said it without rolling his eyes, sighing in exasperation and informing me that "you SAHer's are all the same". I felt sorry for him because he isn´t a happy person. It was awful but this time I stood my ground and walked out of there feeling six-foot tall.

And next time, I will have more questions and will expect answers but I could really do without all this conflict. After my check-up in April, I had considered filing a complaint and requesting a change in doctor, but I don´t really want to do that. This doctor operated on me when no one else wanted to do it. I do feel a kind of loyalty but I can also answer back. Wouldn´t have dreamt of doing such a thing in the first stages, nor had the energy to do so. He cannot treat me like a doormat without finding resistance. That´s another proof that I am recovering.

Lots of love,

Nurianna

Hey Nurianna

What an extremely rude man!!! Us SAHers are all the same are we?? If thats the case why haven't they got all the bl**dy answers us "SAHers" want???? Shame you can't give us his address so that we can all write and let him knowin no uncertain terms, that we are not all the same but we do expected to be treated with the respect that we a) deserve and B) have fough for. GGGGGGGGGGrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Keep up that fighting spirit hun, we're right behind you.

Huh! In answer to the last two posts. This has given me much needed ammo for my case for support from the hospitals, not just for the weeks we are in hospital but during our recovery, the real one of months or years not the so called Text Book Theory!.

I am thankful that my Neuro team are not as rude, but yes to a extent we feel belittled when questions are just brushed aside. In a few weeks I am supposed to be having a BrainStorming session ( no pun intended;-)) with three consultants, two politicians in our devolved government and three senior civil servants in order to start into life a support group and literature for patients who have had an SAH or have aneurysms about which they are concerned. We have a long way to go and the red tape causes me to wish my name was Houdini, but we will get there. This is all dependent on them actually getting round to actually fixing my rapidly unravelling coils! Should have been done in the middle of September but there were no beds. Melbury and Nurianna we certainly need the fighters on board, yes please you too Skippy;-) Wish me luck etc :-D

Hi as you've already seen you're not alone in your thoughts i took my wife to see her n/s and the letter he wrote to our gp concerning the meeting bore no relation to the meeting we actually had and i came away thinking this man is brilliant at what he does (he saved merrills life) but he knows nothing about the recovery and i suppose they like to think they did a good job, he gave us advice and when i queried it with the rehab clinic they sort of shrugged their shoulders and said i think he's trying to do our job, what are we here for, if you have after care in place maybe they are the people to listen to, But hope you get a little comfort in realising that you are not the only one who feels this way Best wishes to you both Rod

Edited by rod123

Hi

Sorry just caight up with your post. You are not along on this one my neuro consultant is just the same very dismissive and i "dont follow the text book" but i am sorry....i didnt think i needed to too....so much lack of information and help he has passed me onto a neurologist and up to press the first meeting he was telling us that we could get an second opinion if we liked ggggggggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr who do they think they are...he certainly didnt give us a good impression and we came out shattered and battered...the only person that seems to listen at all was the neuropsychologist and listening certainly does help...so here we are giving him a chance as Neil (hubby) puts it and then we shall see.....it makes me really angry that just because some of us dont fit the right size box they can't help of dont know what to do....keep up the fight one and all!!!!

Sorry for ranting ...off my soap box now.

Melbury do keep posting and sending you both love and hugs, take care.

Love Michelle c xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Had a copy of the letter the consultant sent to GP yesterday and he clearly states that in his opinion the dizzy problem is due inner ear and nothing at all to do with the SAH, just sheeer coincidence.:shock:

Took OH for his MRI scan this afternoon so will have to wait and see if that shows anything - hopefully not.

Does anybody know, what is the difference between a CT scan and an MRI scan? Is one better than the other?

Hello again! To the best of my knowledge, the two different types of scan are both good diagnostic tools but vary in clarity according to which part of the body is being scanned. This varies a lot but a good example is CT Scan not so good on bones and MRI very good in soft tissue the clinician and radiographer are in the best position to judge :-DIt certainly will be the case that your consultant will have asked for the scan to be that which will give him the best results vis a vis the symptoms and the site

This is nothing compared to an SAH, but I haven't been feeling well since my husband had his haemorrhage.

Went to see a gastroenterologist today because every single night I wake up feeling very sick and sometimes just can't get back sleep. He says I have to have a gastroscopy because he thinks it could be an ulcer:shock: Just too much stress!!!

It never rains but it pours eh?

• 2 weeks later...

Got the result of my husband's MRI scan today and it was all clear, thank goodness. The neurologist didn't even mention seeing him again, just said the scan was normal, so obvioulsy that is that:confused:

My husband was telling me that he had been quite worried that he may have Alzheimers because he keeps forgetting words and why he has gone to a certain cupboard, room, etc. I told hiim that from what I have read on this site, those symptoms of being forgetful are quite usual. They are aren't they?

He is now three months on from the SAH, but still not nearly well enough to return to work. I worry because his job is manual and involves so much heavy work and lifting and there is no way he could do it. He still gets so dizzy and tires very easily.

Had to go back to the doctors again this week because one side of his face swelled up tremendously from his ear down to his neck. He could barely open his mouth and couldn't eat for a couple of days. Thank goodness the antibiotics seem to have reduced the swelling, but he says it still hurts.

Just seems to be one thing after another.

Sorry to moan, but I know you all understand.

Mel x

P.S. I have my gastroscopy end of next week - absolutely terrified, but I am a coward!!!!!

Hi Mel glad to here that your husbands scan were good, i had a gastrocopy (you mean a camera down the throat don't you ) and they gave me a choice of a spray in the throat, or an injection in the back of the hand and i had the injection and there really was nothing to it so don't worry i'm sure you can't be a bigger coward than me and i was alright, Good luck