Sharon Walkergate

phil13

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Everyone,

It's been quite a while since I've been on here and quite a bit has happened over the past few months.

Sharon continues to improve and inspire me with her sheer determination and personality. Every time I go in to see her and she hears my voice I get a lovely smile ,and she says a lot of which I, frustratingly, can't figure out.

She frequently asks me if I'm happy because she says she worries, and this is Sharon to a tee; thinking about other people other than herself, even where she is now, bless her. It seems that despite what the doctors said three and half years ago, about her not knowing who anyone is or having any memory of before, has turned out to be quite the opposite.

On her birthday, she said 'I love you' to all three of her children which thrilled them to bits!

Last night I decided to have a bit of fun with her and said, 'Well, I've heard of people wanting to have a bit of a break from their partners, but isn't this a bit drastic sweetheart?' Her reaction was the biggest 'teethy' smile I've seen yet, and you could see the laughter in her eyes!

Even when my brother phoned me the other night, he heard her say, 'Hiya Tim', and he hasn't actually been in to see her yet. Like I said, a lot of what she says is difficult to make out and in this case a fresh pair of ears was all that was needed.

She shed a tear the other night when Minimol told us that the minibus was out of action, as we had planned to take her to her nephew's wedding next Saturday, just for an hour. Bless her, she was really looking forward to it, but every time I've planned to bring her home for an hour something has put the spanner in the works. It's such a shame, and quite heart wrenching to see her so disappointed.

It still is a long haul and I have no idea how far she will come on, but I have no doubt whatsoever that Sharon is still the Sharon I have known and loved; she is such a character and an inspiration.

I hope you are all well and I'll speak to you soon.

Phil

• 9 months later...

Hi Evryone,

Its been quite a while since I logged on here - things have been frantic at work and by no means in a good way. I'm not a one to be off work but found myself off work for a week with a muscle spasm in my back! And there is a big restructure at our place with inevitable redundancies - not good times, very stressful hence my back!!!

Sharon smiles every time I go in to see her and what a big smile it is! She continues to say lots although some I can't understand which frustrates her, but she now laughs when I joke on with her!

I took up playing the cello in March - an incredibly addictive and wonderful instrument - and I've said to her on many occasions that I will have to play something for her when I get to a decent standard. However this week I said that if she doesn't like it she can spit at me and I'll stop, to which she started laughing (mouth wide open and a huge big groan from her).

She is now beginning to open her left hand and hold on to my neck - small beginnings of motor skill but thats what we want. To see her happy is a wonderful thing despite her many problems and we always had a great laugh together anyway, so to be able to still have our relationship is truly inspiring.

I must make more of an effort to post on here in future.

Take care everyone and I hope you are all well.

Cheers,

Phil

P.S. I caught her on video singing along to YMCA! Wow!

Edited by phil13

Thank you Sandi, and its nice to meet you. Sharon came out very badly from her haemorrhage four and a half years ago, and is in twenty four hour care. They said she wouldn't know anyone, but its turned out quite differently.

Thanks and take care,

Phil