Jump to content


Donna Cooper's Story


It was 9th April 2008; I had just put my son Jack to bed and was on my computer.

Antony came to say hi from our pub downstairs. All of a sudden, I felt fuzzy so I went outside for some fresh air but needed to lie down. All of a sudden it was if someone had hit me over the head with a hammer, my neck was hurting and I was being constantly sick. I screamed for an ambulance which Antony called. He said I had a seizure at this point, but I can’t remember that. The paramedics came and I remember them sitting me up and putting my slippers on and asking if I could walk, which I did, to the bottom of our fire escape.

I thought I had blacked out - Antony said they sedated me in the ambulance - so the rest is from Antony.

I was rushed to hospital and no one had any idea of what was wrong with me. They thought it was meningitis. Luckily a neuro doctor walked passed and recognised the signs and I was then taken for scan where they found my aneurysm. I was coiled the day after.

I was intensive care for 5-7 days and in a light coma.

I remember seeing loads of family photos around me, LOADS ... and hearing the odd voice. Apparently my dad sat with me a lot because Antony couldn’t bear seeing me OK one minute then tubes everywhere the next. The first thing I remember is having a wet small sponge in my mouth testing my gag reflexes. Oh! It was lovely wetting my mouth.

I went on to HDU were I was really calm and couldn’t understand what all the fuss was about, and then I realized what had happened.

I had a collapsed lung during my surgery and an irregular heart beat, which I found out about 2 months later, and that I had to be shocked to get the rhythm back. I also caught MRSA but for some reason that didn’t worry me. Nothing did. I was so glad to be alive.

I was eventually transferred to a neuro ward where I had my first shower, which was bliss but I needed a wheelchair.

I had a drain in my head, which really annoyed me and when the doctor decided to clip it I was relieved, but all of a sudden a weird sensation came over my body and I couldn’t feel my legs. They all rushed back in and un-clipped the drain and I was fine, but I had to breath into a paper bag to calm me down as I got myself all worked up.

Eventually I was allowed off the ward to café where I saw my 2 year old son Jack. I’d not seen him for 3 weeks … God I held him so tight, and he even looked like he'd grown. I wanted to hold him and never let him go, but I had to. I am crying as I write this as I remember that moment so well.

On 27th April I was sent home and that is where I found it really hard and I still do. My emotions go up and down and I am on medication. I am also going to see a councillor for post traumatic stress.

From all this I have made so many life-long friends who have been FANTASTIC to me.

YES all you guys!

Now, 5 months on, I am thinking of returning to work in another month and have an unbreakable bond with my 2 year old son, Jack. Yes, I have bad days; head, neck, ears and eyes and twinges all over, but I am here.

THANK YOU to all my new friends.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Add a comment...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...