Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...


By registering with us, you'll be able to view our forums in full as well as discuss, share and private message other members of Behind The Gray. Why not join us now?

pete the fish

  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

10 Good

About pete the fish

  • Rank
    New Member
  • Birthday 06/12/1964


  • Biography
    I am married and have been with my wife Gill for 25 years. We have a 15 year old daughter, Frances
  • Location
    South Norfolk
  • Interests
    Music, fishing, cooking/food
  • Occupation
    Self employed woodwind instrument maker
  • SAH/Stroke Date

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. I am waiting for my nuero nurse to get back to me, she is currently on holiday but should be back very soon. I am sure she will put my mind at rest. Thanks for the kind words and encouragement. Pete
  2. Hi, I haven't been on for while, because I have been doing my best to place my SAH a very long way from my memory. Unfortunately, like for most of us it will never go away. A constant reminder for me is the insomnia and broken sleep patterns. I had my second angiography back in April and there was what they call a remnant neck which has appeared since my first angiography. The hospital is monitoring the situation but it constantly worries me that it will happen again. I want to move forward without this demon shadowing me, but recently have found it very difficult. Pete
  3. My coiling was on the 19th of October 2010, so I guess it is a routine visit. I've started a list of questions, like can I fly (with the aid of a mechanical device that is and not drug therapy). Can I exercise more than just a brisk walk, when can I play my saxophone as I was told by my GP not to play just in case of a build up of intercrainal pressure. Not many questions I am glad to say as you guys and gals have anwered most of them Thankyou. Pete
  4. Hi everyone, I have to go back to Addenbrookes on Monday. I have telephoned the hospital to ask what it is about and they say it's just a routine consultation. I am presuming the surgeon wants to keep a check on his handy work. Am I right? Shouldn't need the pyjamas. Just a chat! Thats what I keep telling myself. I'm feeling better by the week so there is little to report, but unfortunately through no fault of the hospitals, it scares the hell out of me. Pete
  5. Thanks to everyone for thier uplifting comments and advice. Of coarse you are all correct! I have been pushing myself. I have always been extremely active, fishing, gardening, diy etc. It is a real blow to me to do less. But this weekend it has hit me, and my wife has advised me to cut back my work hours. She has been correct so many times and I am sure she is right this time. Pete
  6. Hi everyone. I am so glad to have found you earlier this week after months of surfing the web to find out more about what happened to me. I have been busy reading all of your experiences, and feel ready to introduce myself. My name is Pete, I am now 46 and have been with my wife for 25 years. We have a daughter of 15. My SAH occurred whilst having sex. It felt like someone had taken a flying punch at my eye. I stumbled to the toilet because I felt like being sick, but wasn't. I nearly passed out getting back into bed, telling my wife I am sure it will get better in the morning. I don't know whether I was sleeping or unconcious, but I made it through the night. My wife had already made an appointment with the doctor before I had managed to gather myself in the morning. The doctor had a number of issues with my diagnosis as I, whilst feeling washed out and still having a banging head, looked OK. Diagnosis could be a thunderclap migriane or an orgasmic migraine, both of which normally subside. She was concerned with the lack of movement in my neck and the pain it was giving me. After a telephone call to the Norfolk and Norwich Neuro unit an ambulance was called to the surgery to take me for a scan. All this fuss for little old me over a headache. The scan was negative, so I was relieved to think it was just a bad migraine. Once again the consultants thought I looked absolutely fine. The movement in my neck was improving and the headache whilst still there was actually subsiding. As a precautionary measure the consultant wanted to undertake a lumbar puncture. As I did not see the colour of the fluid I was not alarmed, but my wife saw the fluid and realized it was not good. I tried to remain upbeat, but realized it was serious when another scan was organized with perfusion and an ambulance to Addenbrookes was arranged. I was bumped down the operation list for 2 days before they coiled the sah. The immense emotional pressure for my wife, daughter and myself was at times unbearable. At least all my vital signs were stable and I still had all my facilities. Unbelievably, whilst I thought it was serious, in the back of my mind I thought that it could be fixed with some good drugs and a little rest. Lay off the wine and cigarettes and we will be back to normal in no time at all. It was not until the neurosurgeon told me that there was no alternative to surgery as the next time it happens will certainly be the last. I was told I was extremely lucky. I didn't feel lucky. At that moment my little world shattered like a china cup dropped to the floor. Every thing seemed to move in slow motion whilst the surgeon explained the procedure. I got the drift of what was happening but was so upset I couldn't really take in anything that he was saying. My procedure was on Tuesday and I was discharged on Friday. One of the most memorable weeks of my entire life. The team at Addenbrookes were stunning, nurses, surgeons, doctors etc. My only gripe was I wish there were some after care help. It's very scary coming home not knowing what is going to happen next. I was still suffering with headaches, was this normal? A leaflet would have been good! My recovery has been relatively fast. I am self employed, so I have eased myself slowly back to work after 3 weeks, working a few hours then gradually increasing the hours. I am not up to a full week because I get tired, but I still think I have been doing very well. This was going OK, until recently when I have noticed my concentration is terrible and my close vision deteriorated. Both of which are very important for the work I do. I have also been feeling low, I won't say depressed, but seem to have no joie de vie. All the fizz has gone from the lemonade. Throughout my brief stay in hospital I could not help myself from thinking about the Monty Python song, Alway look on the bright side of life! I'm doing my best Thanks for reading Pete
  • Create New...