Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...


By registering with us, you'll be able to view our forums in full as well as discuss, share and private message other members of Behind The Gray. Why not join us now?


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

10 Good

About Danimal

  • Rank
    New Member
  • Birthday 27/05/1973


  • Biography
    Father of 3 boys, husband of great wife.
  • Location
    Sonora, ca
  • Interests
    Restoring cars, skiing, hiking, working on home projects, flying, waterskiing.
  • Occupation
    Pilot, private jet
  • SAH/Stroke Date

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Thanks Allison, good to hear. I think my episode was similar to yours, so hopefully I'll be as lucky. Already down to mild headaches, mostly from noise or too much activity. I am definitely improving daily though, with occasional set backs. Just got the word from the FAA, definitely off flying for at least a year..
  2. Ah man! Was just about to jump! I'll stick to skydiving then.. My back is already doing better. For a couple of days, every time I would stand up, a shocking pain would put me back down. I still feel it, but the pain is pretty much gone. Have to stick to my "Lucky" monicker!
  3. That makes a lot of sense, glad I asked, and thank you everyone. Don't tell my wife, as yesterday she was trying her darnest to adjust my back! It never offered any relief. Here I am getting around to responding at around 3 am (11 am for my UK friends..good morning!) as when I turned in bed the pain almost made me yell out.. That's the bad. The good is I've been off pain meds now for almost 2 days. No big headaches, only a constant dull reminder that the blood is still there, with a slight ring in my ears too. Winbe143, I will keep walking, and I'll cherish the "Lucky" name. Some day you just might ~fly with me~ Thank you so much for sharing with me on the back pain. Just another great benefit of this forum. I called the hospital and talked with the neurosurgeon, and he said it was most likely just a coincidental unrelated issue... The hospitals really are behind the curve on the healing process arent't they!
  4. That is a great analogy! Back in high school, a friend sandblasted his intake manifold on an old Bronco, didn't clean it right, and proceeded to lunch his engine. I guess in a way I too will need a complete rebuild! Thank you both for the nice welcome and great advice. Funny thing, I always really limit video games with my boys...30 min/ day max only if they are doing well in school...but I find it a good way for me to force myself to relax, and not think about strenuous activities! I think the are kind of mad at me now.. They are surely looking at me funny because I never play on the thing. BTW, the last 3 days or so I've developed a bad pain in my lower back. It hurts to stand up. Almost feels like a pinched nerve or something. Anyone else have that? Not sure if it's a brain issue, or from lying down so much or what.
  5. Doing some searching, and got confused. Apparently within NASAH there are two categories defined by the type of hemorrhage; perimesencephalic And aneurymal. The first being the most common, especially in young males. (Turning 40 this year, I still qualify right?) Both are under the NASAH classification. I guess it has to do with the location of the blood? Anyone know? Is one worse off than the other?
  6. Wow you guys are all so great, informative, and supportive. It is a strange place to be, trying to explain to everyone what happened, trying to justify my pajamas in the afternoon and my lack of shaving! I am forcing myself to drink almost ridiculous amounts of water, after hearing that from all of you. I think I actually feel better when doing so too. Today was my best day yet. I had to keep reminding myself to slow down, and here I am in the afternoon and not sleeping because of the few things I did. MaryB...you are fortunate to live near IU Methodist, I keep hearing how lucky I was. They were awesome...the neurosurgeons spent a lot of time with me, and the nurses where very attentive. Sue..glad to hear from another pilot. Did you lose your medical? It will be a while before I know, but expert consultants think 1-2 years with no medical should be expected. I have a little Luscombe I restored and love to fly with my boys ( my avatar)..and hoping I will retain my 3rd class. Thank you everyone for your feedback. I'm learning more from all of you than I can quantify. I have to admit when I saw so many on here with struggles after a year I got depressed, but like David and I think Kris said, the well ones probably move on and don't post. I really feel for all of you, literally, that still struggle long term....as the fatigue has to get old! I'm only a little over a week out, and until my "good" day today I was getting scared. Nice to hear from everyone that regardless of pace, you all are getting better. Thank you everyone for sharing your time. Just writing this makes me wanna nap! -Lucky
  7. Thank you both. I've gleaned pretty quickly that I am lucky in how mild mine apparently was. I am a very high energy person and frankly scared I may not get that back. Funny you mention listening to your body. Just got "shut down" after very little getting around. Everyone keeps telling me to take it easy, but that seams to be pretty automatic!Thanks for the warm welcome! After seeing the rarity of it, it's nice finding a place with understanding ears. The hospital was basic allying telling me to take it easy, and I will fully recover. Not much more than that. Of course, I always tell people hospitals are good for fixing, but not healing...good to be home!
  8. Hello all, My first post. I just got back from the hospital 3 days ago, trying to learn what I'm in for. I fly a private jet, and had a very busy week...lots of flying, weather, early days...and finally had a break in Indianapolis. Still had a busy day, but starting late. After breakfast with my co-pilot, went to my room to change for the gym. I never get headaches of any kind, so when a very bad one radiated from the back/bottom of my head I knew I was in trouble. I'm sure you can all relate...but something about the pain told me to worry. I immediately unlatched my door, and called John, my co-pilot, to my room. (He is my new hero, awesome person..) Initial CT scans showed blood, so they transferred me (via ambulance with sirens on...uh oh!) to another hospital with a better neuro ward. I was pretty scared, which means I get very sarcastic and turn into a comedian, until the angiogram showed my arteries where fine. No clues as to where the bleed cam from. The neurosurgeons where very surprised at how quickly I was recovering. After 2 days I was sitting up, and by three was walking. The nurses said I was the easiest patient, as I begrudgingly turned down their sponge bath and did it myself on day one. (What was I thinking!). The three neurosurgeons together decided to wave normal hospital procedures that dictated a one week stay in the ICU followed by another angiogram, instead opting to release me whenever I felt ready. My biggest challenge was the airline home, but I did it on day 4! So here I am, 8 days later. I'm very tired, am able to just use T3 to keep headaches mostly away, and only get slight queasiness at times. Whenever I do too much, I pretty much shut down and sleep. I know I'm very lucky, as it was only a small bleed and non arterial. And I wasn't flying. And I was in Indy, at IU Methodist, one of the best. So, pretty incredible timing if one has to have such a thing. Not sure yet, but the FAA will most likely revoke my medical for a year. My biggest question is, and I know it varies, but considering the minimal nature of my SAH, and that I'm in otherwise excellent health (low blood pressure, exercise regularly), what am I in for?? (I've gathered that hospitals don't really prepare you). Thanks in advance, and I hope you are all coping well today. Dan
  • Create New...