Personal Accident insurance

Hi All,

Some of you who were lucky enough to have critical illness insurance will hopefully already have claimed on that insurance. You may also be able to claim on a personal accident policy, you may have bought it yourself, or it may be one of your employment benefits like mine is.

The upshot is that dependent on the policy wording of your own particular insurer, you may well be able to claim against it in respect of your SAH. The important point is that the haemorrhage is spontaneous, and causes physical damage (ie burst artery), these points allow you to describe it as accidental injury rather than illness.

This is not true with all insurers, some of them have cottoned on and incorporated exlcusions into the policy wording, examples are "excluding injury attributable to Cerebral vascular accident", this catergorically takes it out, another exclusion which may still allow wiggle room is "excluding natural causes".

Not all insurers have these exclusions, from my research I would estimate that somewhere in the region of 30% of them don't have the exclusions and as such should be open for a claim. Don't expect an easy ride, they will fight it, however without a suitable exclusion, you should be able to succesfully make a claim.

Do please give look out your policy, I am proceeding with mine, the claim should be worth 3 times annual salary, so it's worth a fair bit of effort on your part.

If anyone needs any specific advise I am happy to help.

Regards

Adam

PS, I've spent 25 years working in insurance, at least the tedium has finally paid off :-D

• 2 months later...
Hi All,

Some of you who were lucky enough to have critical illness insurance will hopefully already have claimed on that insurance. You may also be able to claim on a personal accident policy, you may have bought it yourself, or it may be one of your employment benefits like mine is.

The upshot is that dependent on the policy wording of your own particular insurer, you may well be able to claim against it in respect of your SAH. The important point is that the haemorrhage is spontaneous, and causes physical damage (ie burst artery), these points allow you to describe it as accidental injury rather than illness.

This is not true with all insurers, some of them have cottoned on and incorporated exlcusions into the policy wording, examples are "excluding injury attributable to Cerebral vascular accident", this catergorically takes it out, another exclusion which may still allow wiggle room is "excluding natural causes".

Not all insurers have these exclusions, from my research I would estimate that somewhere in the region of 30% of them don't have the exclusions and as such should be open for a claim. Don't expect an easy ride, they will fight it, however without a suitable exclusion, you should be able to succesfully make a claim.

Do please give look out your policy, I am proceeding with mine, the claim should be worth 3 times annual salary, so it's worth a fair bit of effort on your part.

If anyone needs any specific advise I am happy to help.

Regards

Adam

PS, I've spent 25 years working in insurance, at least the tedium has finally paid off :-D

Hi

I have claimed a critcal illness insurance and I also work for the NHS at the time. Do you think that it would only cover me if it happened at work?

Thanks

Dawn:shock: