So my 72 year old dad had his NASAH June 19th while working in the yard.  

He has no prior medical history and had never been hospitalized.  Angiogram didn’t show aneurysm.  Was talking and standing 3 days after with PT/OT.  

Developed pneumonia on day 4, went on the vent and just yesterday weaned to trach collar.  Has a peg tube.  The pneumonia was a wild ride with fluid overload, hypernatremia, increased renal values- this has resolved now.  

He was on fentanyl/propofol/precedex on and off through this period.  He’s been completely off sedation for 3 days.  Moves to pain only, will open his eyes when he’s repositioned on bed.  

Repeat CTA shows no secondary ischemic stroke, there is a subdural hygroma.  Docs unsure why he is slow to wake.  EEG showed possible seizure activity but not confirmed.  He had been on keppra prophylactically and they increased this dose.  

Now has 2 stage 2 pressure ulcers on sacrum and perineal area. Any other slow to wake experiences?  Many thanks.

Hi Beagle

A very warm welcome to BTG.

So very sorry to hear about your Dad, such a worrying stressful time for you and family. It is very early days in his recovery and sometimes it just takes time for everything to re connect. His brain has been through a major trauma let alone with all the other things he has had going on.

Does he respond when you speak to him? Hold his hand? I read somewhere that also playing his favourite music can help.

Its reassuring that the Drs are keeping a close eye on things. 

Wishing your Dad well with his on going recovery. Please keep us updated and remember to look after you too.

Take care 

Tina

• Like 1

Thanks Tina.  He does not respond when I hold his hand or speak to him.  I have been playing his favorite music for a while every day.  Neurology is starting a neuro stimulant today called amantadine.  Hopeful for improvement!

• Like 1

I really hope the neuro stimulant helps your Dad and you see some improvement very soon. Keep doing what you are doing, talking to him, holding his hand and playing his favourite music.

Please keep us updated when you can. Our thoughts are with you.

Take care

Tina.