Has anyone ever been given METHADONE?

Hi folks:

Hope everyone is well. My headaches have gotten better but are still persistent at the end of the work day. My surgeon dumped me and sent me to a Pain Management Clinic. I met with a nurse and she prescribed me methadone. It is supposed to be longer acting than the current pain meds I'm on. Methadone is given to people to get them off of heroin and is very strong. After reading about it, I am scared to death to take it. It says it can cause slow breathing and death if your body doesnt like it. But my doctor says it is a very small dose. Has anyone ever had experience with it or been prescribed it? It is prescribed as a long term pain med in the US. Any thoughts?

David

Hi David, that is very interesting. If you do decide to try it, it would be interesting to hear the results (I have constant head pain too, hence my interest).

I have never had Methadone but in my confused state post SAH I asked for it several times - I actually meant Morphine but was muddled. It was only when a nurse asked if I was a 'user' that we worked out what I meant - oops :-D

Michelle

Hi David I suffer with constant nerve pain and have done since my SAH in 2006. I tried several different types of medication but was never offered Methodone. Will be really interested in how you get on with this but it may not be something we would be offered in this country.

Wow! I've never heard of it being prescribed post SAH either. But I personally think anything is worth a try. I was given morphine patches a couple of years ago. They didn't help with my headaches but did leave me feeling rather sleepy ...

If you feel brave enough to try them, please keep us informed as to how you get on!

Take care,

Leonie x

Edited by Leo

Ok,

So I finally got the guts to try it yesterday. Didnt go real well. Took it a half hour before I left work and felt immediately anxious. Then drove to my wife's work to give her a dozen pink roses and was kind of off my game. She works in a loud hair salon so it was a bit much for an SAH'r. Dont think its for me. May try it one more time to see if it helps. It REALLY slows down your breathing and you can die from it. And no alcohol whatsoever. Two drinks and meth can kill ya. I like an occasional drink on Friday nights so this is not good. Not sure why the crazy doc gave me this but will see her Wednesday and ask. It is a very STRONG drug. Gonna give it one more shot Monday and we'll see. Thanks all.

David