Flying (Originally started by Donna)

From Donna -

Ok I know we get this often BUT i am sooooooooo nervous x x

I really really want to book a holiday abroad next year me and my family need to get away and Jack would love it abroad x x x

Lots of things running through my mind

1/ Sheer panic attack on the plane and causing caos x x

2/ How my head would feel because I feel so dizzy anyway

3/ Being sick (through dizzyness and panic)

4/ being ill abroad

Has you can tell I am sooooo nervous x x I even feel panicky thinking about it now x x

I have been having ALOT of headaches lately and very dizzy x x

I have appointment at the doctors tomorrow but I know nothing will get done x x (I have read today and seen on the news that it is not safe taking alot of paracetamol a day, and i take 6 a day for the last 4 years :frown: so that is worrying me also x x

Sorry for my rant but my head is in a spin thinking about it all x x

My husband thinks I bring alot of my feeling poorly on through myself x x (is he right)

Hope someone out there understands

love

donna

From - Goldfishgirl

Hi Donna,

I have always been scared of flying, I really don't like it. In May I went abroad with my boys (one is 22 years old and did all the organising & helping me go in the right direction at airports & be on time etc). This was the first time I'd flown since SAH. I also have chronic headaches, dizziness (like yourself) and balance problems so had all the same worries as you.

Flying did not make my head any worse or make me more dizzy. A boat trip while we were there did make the dizziness a bit worse for quite some time after we got off the boat though! My younger son had never flown before & was so scared he didn't sleep for a couple of weeks before we left & threw up the morning we were leaving but having to be calm & act excited about the flight for his sake made me keep my own panic under control. During take off I was saying 'this is great isn't it' and other similar lies to make it all ok for him. By the time we were in the air he was trying to make me look out the window, he was sooooo excited at seeing the ground below - I found looking out the window a bit too much for my head to cope with vertigo-wise so just kept focussed on a magazine.

There were a few times I wished I'd never booked it before we went, worries over me or my younger son becoming ill again - but you really have to put that thought away or you will never do something fun again. It's very unlikely to happen but travel insurance helped me to think it would all be fine & if something happens they'll fly us home.

That was the 1st time I'd ever taken my children abroad and it was a week of fantastic memories that will always be with us. It was fantastic!! I still really do not like flying but if I ever have the money to do it all again there would be no stopping me :biggrin:

Michelle xx

From - Win

Donna,

Go and see your GP. I know of a few people that have a low dose of Valium for their flight, to make them feel relaxed. In fact, three people and none of those have had a SAH, but the fear of flying has put them off of going away. Most GP's are pretty good, just ask. xx

I am more scared of going to the airport (ie back seat driver I have become.)

I am not afraid of the flight just the travelling to airport...daft isn't it lol.

All will be well says the back seat drlver. Just make it Spain and back then its only a 2 hour plus flight.

Whatever happens I hope you get holiday...I have not done it yet !!

Love

WinB143 xx

From - ​Donna

Anyone ever taken Cyclizine x x I have been given it for my dizzyness and nausea x x

Hopefully this will help and stop me feeling nervous about flying whilst feeling dizzy x x x

love

donna

From - ?

Hi Donna

What more can I say.

Have you tried going down the road of "HYPNOTHERAPY"?

I don't means these ones that dio it for "Entertainment" but the one that do it for "Medical Reasons"

Have a chat with your GP for a refferal.

I've looked around the area live, and found quite a few.

Another option is "Acupuncture Physiotherapy" this can be accessed through the NHS

There are many relaxation tapes you could use, have another look at those paper I sent you.

If you've misplaced them, I can resend you them.

I think between us, we can get you through this.

Donna, I have a tubful of cyclizine tablets in case my shunt goes off piste and I go down the vertigo, dizzy, nausea route. I find it ok to take but it does take a while to take effect so as soon as you get a familiar whizzy whooshy head feeling take it straight away then the worse effects tend not to come. I Can get a bit foggy if i take it for more than a few days , I know this from hospital stays on it, but then again to could be been the morphine....

I can't imagine flying yet I know statistically it's fine to do and competely empathise with your concerns. But just think of the doors you will open up when you conquer this challenge, Valium, meditation, distraction, whatever it takes eh? and the sangria will taste much sweeter when you arrive. Positive vibes so you can fly!

From - ​Dawn

Hiya Donna,

I went to France recently. I found the flight really exciting but then again it was my first ever flight! I didn't feel dizzy or sick at all but I must confess to feeling quite a bit of pressure in my head on the flight over. This didn't happen at all on the flight back. The difference? I'd had a pint of cider before the flight there but no alcohol on the way back. I don't generally drink these days so it was a silly thing for me to do but I saw it as a 'first' and these days I'm all about getting as many 'firsts' in as possible.

I know this might sound a bit odd, but try drinking some chamomile tea. I use it regularly. Since my sah I have bad temper issues and sometimes get anxious. I find chamomile tea helps massively with both temper and anxiety. Try it and see, it can't hurt and might calm you enough to start looking forward to the holiday rather than worrying about it.

Are you going away in the EU? If so, get an E111 card. It doesn't replace good medical insurance but it gave me extra piece of mind while we were in France. And just a wee note, it should be free so don't use a site that charges anything.

Like Michelle says, a trip away makes new memories - good ones! The more times you create good memories the less anxious you will be.

I hope you manage to overcome your fears and get a well-deserved break for you all!

Dawn x

From - Donna

HI all

I haven't been on for a while and I hope you are all well and ok x x

I am STILL struggling with my balance and other issues x x x still awaiting my routine MRI which was due in April :confused:

It feels sometimes like I am walking around and can't feel my arms or legs like I am walking but don't know how x x which is not good when I am carrying hot plates of food x x x

i am eventually going back to dental nursing 2 days a week and doing odd shift at the pub x x x x

we have booked our family holiday abroad to go to Menorca and I am worried about flying has I haven't since sah and with the above feelings and feeling the way I do it worries me more x x but 5 years on I have had enough of worrying and what ever will be will be x x anyone have any ideas how to keep calm and anything I can do to help my ears whilst flying x x x x

i know a few of you have flown since sah and all feedback will be gratefully received x x

lots love to all

donna

xxxxx

From - ?

I flew to Milan a couple of months ago (2 hour flight) and I didn't notice any ill effects at all before during or after if that's any help. :-)

As I was preparing my hand luggage to go through the x-ray machine I did mention to one of the customs guys that this is the first time I've been through a metal detector since having metal put in my head. Now the doctors insisted it would not set it off but I'm not so sure!

I wandered through and to my relief, no alarms, just a cheer from the customs officer! :-)

I am in Corfu at the moment. Flown lots of times since SAH. I tend to suck sweets most of the time I am up there to stop ears popping. I have also done flights of nearly seven hours with no problems. Dont worry about the flying and enjoy the holiday.

From - Goldfishgirl

Hi Donna,

I was about to answer this but had a deja vu moment. I know I've replied to similar before, can you do a search on 'flying after SAH'? I'm sure there were posts about asking GP for sedatives or similar if flying worries you. I'm sure I said something about flying last year (my 1st attempt since SAH), I don't like flying & never did but it didn't make my brain issues any worse as far as I can remember. I do remember taking a boat trip that made the balance problem quite a bit worse after I got off the boat though.

As for the airport alarms, I didn't set the Glasgow one off but I did set the Canary Island one off. I was made to go through it again and all was well the second time - so maybe a fluke with the alarm rather than my head?

Enjoy your holiday :cool:

Michelle x

From - Donna

Thanks guys x x x I just can't wit to see my little boys face he will love it x x x

doctor said something about Valium but not sure on taking extra meds x. X

will look up "flying after sah" it didn't bring anything up before but I will try Again x x

lots love

donna

xxxxx

From - Goldfishgirl

Hi Donna, I found the thread I thought I remembered!!

It was started by you on 19 September 2012, it's titled 'flying'. I'm sorry I don't know how to post links but hopefully one of the moderators will pop up & be able to do that.

Michelle x

Admin Note: Sorry guy's we've had a few technical problems with merging this thread to one that had already been started! Apologies for the layout, but please continue to post if you wish to do so.