Massage - is this ok?

Hiya, I have had a couple of fairly gentle massages in the time since my SAH, both of which were lovely. I have almost constant tension in my shoulder (it was bad pre-SAH too, and accutely bad on the day of my SAH).

Anyway, at work today I ended up booking a massage with a lady from work. She'd had a quick feel of my shoulder and said that it was really tight and I needed a massage. Sorry, I'm blethering, but even in type I can't stop myself.

Anyway, I've assumed I'll be fine for the massage, and I would really really like one - but I guess she is going to be quite firm. Has anyone else inquired about this, or heard anything?

Blondie

We had an "alternative" therapy talk at one of the SAH Support groups in Southampton and we were assured that as long as the person giving the massage was aware of our medical history it would be OK. Even Indian head massage was OK (although I can't believe that anyone who's been through brain surgery wanting that!). Oh and also make sure that the therapist is registered, although I can't remember who they have to be registered with!! Could be CORGI for all I know.........

Scott

Nah.... they assured me that on some level I would still benefit, although they couldn't tell me how. I would of thought that either it would work like for everyone else or it wouldn't work at all but I was told that it wouldn't "work as well as anyone, but you should notice a difference....". Was the end of what could of been a beautiful relationship between me and aromatherapy!

Scott

Oh no! I guess you could give it a try, see if you feel any benefits.

I've had quite a lot of aromatherapy over the years - quite a few of my friends have trained, and have needed volunteers to practice on. I've enjoyed it, on the whole.

Guest Portia del Carmen

I have asked my consultant both times post-SAH about alternative therapies - he has always said that it is fine, even including sauna/steam room treatments, which you might think would put up blood pressure because of the heat. I think essentially anything which makes you feel relaxed and in less pain must be good!

I've also had Indian head massage, even after the 2nd SAH, when I had the craniotomy and clipping. It is absolutely blissful and as long as your therapist knows (and they will know when they see the scar, after all) they are likely to be careful and look after you.

I have also had some very effective Reiki therapy - I've posted before that when I was ill the first time, the only thing that took the headache away was Reiki rather than morphine (although the morphine had its own other benefits, frankly) I was so impressed with Reiki that I have had myself Reiki-attuned and it is incredible how you can help yourself when you feel poorly or have pain - whether it's a headache, backache, cold, flu or even hayfever. I can certainly recommend it to anyone if you are able to suspend any disbelief that you might feel about the whole experience - which involves at most light touching essentially on meridian points to rebalance your body.

As with anything, you have to make sure that the therapist is properly trained - but that proviso applies whether or not you've been ill - a therapist who only thinks and doesn't know what they're doing can do some damage, especially to the back/neck/shoulders.

Guest Firefly

:D I stared my first massage therapy last Thursday and it is wonderful!!! I ask my Dr. if it was ok and he said sure, it might help a lot!!! :)

I want to go at least twice a month, more if we can afford it! :P It feels soooo good!!! :wink:

Take care, Tricia

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't "braved" a body massage as yet, but find I still am nervous about head massages (they usually do one at my hairdressers) and have so far declined all offers. Been having Bowen massage for my foot problems, but that is a very different type of massage technique. Joanxx

Hi Joan, bizarrely the thought of a full body massage scared me more than a head massage - I think because I had so much discomfort in shoulder and spine? Aside from around the nape of the neck I'm fairly happy to have my head touched (gently!!)

Blondie x