Welcome Barney!

Hi Karen,

Thank you for that warm welcome. I had a SAH in May of this year and the medics were unable to find the location of the bleed after subjecting me to several MRI and CT scans. They decided that it had repaired itself and therefore there was nothing for them to repair. I certainly relate to the people on your site (and other examples) where they describe the pain of the event as being some of the worst they have ever felt. Mine felt like a nail through the base of my skull. It started with muscle spasms across my shoulders and up the back of my neck. At the time I thought it was an adverse reaction to the anaesthetic that the dentist had used as I had visited the dentist that morning. I managed to get my self from downtown Auckland, NZ, to a surgery and the Dr there measured my blood pressure at around 210. I left there in an ambulance and was taken to the hospital nearest my home ( on the North Shore, AK) where I had a CT scan and some morphine (I suspect) as the pain seemed to subside. I was then transferred to the neurology section, high depedancy unit (HDU) of Auckland Hospital where I remained for 12 days. I was ill for the first three days while they got my BP down and stabilised me and then subjected to a number of MRI and CT scans. I was coherent the whole time. After leaving hospital my headaches disappeared quite rapidly over the first week, although I was still very weak. Since then I have returned to work part time, still get quite tired, but apart from that have no other major symptoms. My GP is working to get my BP down to aorund 130/80 and I am self monitoring that just to see what sort of pattern I have.

Thank you for starting this site as I am sure it will be of interest to a number of people who have had a SAH.

Cheers,

Barney

Hi Barney,

Great to hear from you and all the way from New Zealand. ... it's probably evening time with you now?

Sounds like you're doing pretty well with your recovery .... there are a couple of other Guys on this site that have had a bleed similar to yours. My warning bleed 4 years prior to this one, started like yours ... with neck stiffness....I was using a computer at the time, so at first I thought that it was just aches and pains....then "Wham"!

It was interesting reading your story about the Dentist, as I've read a few articles where people have had a SAH after visiting the haidressers ...... where they've had their hair washed in a back facing sink. Think that they call it "Beauty Parlour Syndrome" .... but don't quote me! Something to do with the neck/head being put into such a position that it affects the blood vessels. I will have to read up on it again, as my short term memory isn't good!

Can I be cheeky and ask how old you are Barney? It's good that you've managed to get back to working part time, but yep, the fatigue seems to be a major issue with everybody here.

Anyway, must go .... it's good to talk to you... :)

Love Karen x

Hi Barney..Mine was similar to yours...but it happened in Bed on a sunday

terrific sudden pain and within 3 hrs I had lost my marbles..sick..etc...2 angios later /CT they said it was a genetic weakness....

Mine was nearly 2 years ago...I still have issues but we were very lucky not to need surgery..

Take care mate

Andy P

Hi Barney and Andy P, and Karen of course!!

I am glad to find out that there are others here that had a "genetic weakness" SAH. Andy P, I didn't realize that was the case with you. Or perhaps I FORGOT!!!??? haha Anyway, it would be really helpful to me to talk to you both about it. Maybe we should start a new thread for Non Aneurism SAH. For one thing, I was told that it would probably NEVER happen again, so it scares me to hear you refer to this as a "warning" bleed, Karen. Did you guys hear anything like that, Barney and Andy? Also, Andy, it's a bit comforting to hear that you still have issues 2 year later. It's not good of course, I mean that since I am at my one year anniversary, I expected to be "over" it by now, and if you're not then maybe that's a usual thing. I keep expecting to feel "all new", but the memory stuff and the fatigue just linger on. Emotionally too, I'm revisiting the whole experience a lot in the last few months. Maybe because I'm still waiting for that one year finish line.

Thanks for your posts everyone.

Annie

Hi Annie,

Don't you go getting worried about what I said re: warning bleed ..... I was eventually given a MRI weeks later and it didn't show an aneurysm, the results were inconclusive and I was told that I could have had a small bleed. I was experiencing the same eyesight problems as I did when I had the next bleed.

When I was admitted (July 2005) to Southampton Neuro, they told me that I should have been given a CT scan and an angiogram when I had the "probable warning bleed" as MRI doesn't always give the best picture.

So don't worry Annie.....you had the angiograms and other tests.... in order to pinpoint the problem and they couldn't find anything ..... I didn't have all of the tests that I should have and that's why I went on to have another bleed.

Hope this makes sense Annie! Sorry to have scared you though .... my problem was really a lack of medical intervention first time around and the ani more than likely being missed.

Love K x

Hi Guys,

Firstly Karen, I am 61 and have been in good health with slightly elevated blood pressure but nothing out of the ordinary. Re: dentists, I have noted that in some of the literature (Q & A type) reference is made to the fact that it is ok to visit the dentist after a bleed !!

Hi Annie and Andyp, good to hear from you, I have not heard anything about a "warning bleed". It is very pleasing to hear Annie that it will probably never happen again. I guess there are plus and minuses for a result where the medics are unable to pin-point the site of the bleed. My guys thought they had a site but then decided there were insufficient signs so did nothing. At the moment my GP is giving me medication to reduce by blood pressure however it was not particualrly high prior to the bleed and I am not convinced that it played a major role - having said that I guess the GP is just being precautionary. It seems to me that some of that medication is having a greater effect than the bleed, although at this stage it is hard to differentiate the effects of the two. I get tired very easily, and from what you are saying it is likley to be that way for some time. As far as I am aware my memory has not suffered at all. I am back at work - two days a week, as a consulting biologist (partner in a small private consultancy), and have not really experienced any memory problems (here's hoping). I agree with your comments Andyp, that we are among the few who have been lucky enough not to require surgery. It seems to me that "genetic weakness" sounds like a good answer, although my medics would not commit themselves to any cause, and just said that they didn't know. The fact that we are all here discussing our events is a plus for me. Good to talk to you all.

Take care

Barney

Hi Barney,

Like yourself I've never had particularly high blood pressure, 95% of the time, mine is normal and even if it has been slightly high, it's always come down on the 2nd reading.

However, I have suffered classic migraine headaches, since being a teenager and I still wonder whether this has played a part with the aneurysm formation.

I know what you're saying about taking the meds and the problems that they cause.....I was on anti-seizure meds for about 8 months and I'm sure that they hindered my recovery.....I seemed to get all manner of problems from them.....I felt much better, once I was allowed to stop taking them, but at first I didn't know whether it was the SAH causing problems or the meds. At the minute, I'm only taking Beta Blockers.....for heart palpitations and they help with the anxiety etc.

Your work sounds interesting.... at least being able to work a couple of days a week, it probably helps to take your mind off things.

Hope all is well,

Love Karen x