lumbar puncture

Guest kaj

My mom had her lumbar puncture today. She was in a lot of pain and crying. She said that she "didn't want to live like this anymore." She also started to cry when they were asking her questions. She said, "I am smarter than this." When I saw her, she looked depressed and not herself at all. It was a real downer of a day. I hope to God this helps her. I don't want to put her through anymore pain. I will let you know how it works out.

God Bless, Kim

I'm sorry to hear that you're day wasnt a good one I hope it helps too, I've had quite a few lumbar punchtures and I dont remember any of it I have no recall at all the brain's way of shutting off.

'I am smarter than this' in a way I think is a good thing, there came a point for me when I knew that this wasnt really me......

I do so hope that things start to work out....

Take care of yourself

Louise.x

when I went to see mom today she had just finished with the ST, OT and neuro psychiatrist. She was so tired that she didn't want to eat her lunch. She became arguementative. The good news is my sister called her in the morning and my mom asked where she was and what happened to her. My sister explained it to her and she said she wanted to hear all the details but talk slow. I am hoping that this is a good sign.

Just curious, but why would someone get more than one lumbar puncture?

Thanks for the reply,

Kim

Hi Kim

That sounds quite good news your Mum wanting to know where she is & details.

I was for ever asking why was I in hospital because I kept forgetting...

I think the reason I got quite a few was to see what was going on I'll need to ask my husband that one and get back to you, I have no memory what so ever about being in hospital, but hey who wants to remember that... :roll:

Take care

Louise.x

Last night, my mom pulled out all her iv's and snapped the lumbar drain. The thing wasn't even in for more than 33 hours. So far two out of the four people assessing her have not seen any kind of change, according to them. I am very frustrated because since she entered the hospital she has not been herself. She has been a lot more confused. She doesn't understand where she is. I think they have not really seen the "true mom" that we see everyday. They are not sure if they are going to try the lumbar drain again. Also, her blood pressure dropped again. She has these spells about every two weeks where her blood pressure drops to about 85/62. She turns as white as a ghost and we have to lay her down immediately. Once we lay her down, her blood pressure comes back up and she gets all the color back in her face and then she is fine. We can't figure out what triggers it. She is going to be seen by the cardiologist at the hospital. Hopefully they can tell us. She did suffer a significant heart attack from the aneurysm. However, she just had an echo done and they said it looked normal. This waiting game is really getting to me. I give you all credit for all you have endured. God bless you.

Kim

It can be both confusing and distressing in hospital. Like Louise, I must have asked Robert about 12,389 times "what happened" when i was in hospital. My thoughts and prayers are with you both and I hope you start getting some clearer answers for all these symptoms and circumstances. Big hugs, Joanxx

Hi Kim

I asked Ronnie and he says, that I had 4 lumbar punctures, the reason that I had 4 was to relieve the pressure to the brain by taking away spinal fluid which runs from the spine to the brain, I had one every day for four days to see if this would help, this was at the time that I had viral meningis, after the brain haemorrhage.

Sorry to hear about how things are going, have to say I havent heard of a lumbar drain, I thought it was just done fluid taken off the spine!, and yes like Joan Ronnie's probably told me that for about the thousandth time & no doubt will again when asked, but he's not heard of a lumbar drain either.

Hope things get better Kim

Take care

Louise.x