Phased return

I saw my doctor tonight and he suggested trying to go back to work to help my mental health. He said we would have to work on the physical symptoms but thought i was becoming depressed looking at 4 walls. I agree and want to try but am very worried about being thrown in and as a primary school teacher could have bad effects both on me or the 30 children in my care.

I told the doctor that I was worried about looking after the 30 children on my own and he said he understood and that I needed to discuss that with my head. I have rang her but she was unavailable!

I went back on phased return last time ut within 6 weeks ish was back full time. I don't think that will happen this time, does anyone know how long you can take on phased return or any advice. I really want to take it careful and see what happens because teaching has lots of work outside the school hours as well.

Thanks

Laura

xx

Hi Laura

If you dont feel physically ready to return to work again, you should tell your GP. I can understand the idea that you could be getting depressed by the same 4 walls, but I am sure there are other things you could be doing to combat that, without having to return to work?

I dont know if there is legislation about timescales for phased returns - but I think that your employer has a duty of care to try and support you in returning - i.e. less hours, extra support - that kind of thing. Would it be possible for you to have a classroom assistant or similar to support you? And/or not doing the out of hours stuff for a bit more time?

Good luck,

Blondie