NHS & Private

Hi Everyone,

I've just read about a man who was on This Morning, ITV, whose wife was dying of colon cancer. Apparently, she paid for drugs that had been denied to her by the NHS, and consequently when she was admitted to a hospice and passed away within a few months, the husband was presented with a bill for thousands of pounds.

This issue is something of a worry as the nurse at the home where Sharon is, has contacted the GP to try and get a physiotherapist. If this fails, we will have no option but to pay for a private one. You can imagine the anxiety within the family after hearing about this poor man.

If anyone has any advice please post it here.

Thanks.

Phil

Hi Phil

Sorry can't help you on that one. Hopefully someone in the know (Karen or Keith or one of the founder members) might be of help. I suppose at the end of the day, you need some sort of written guarantee that you won't be billed. Sorry can't help more.

Big hug

Lesley xx

Hi Phil

Who presented them with the bill for thousands of pounds? Was it the drugs company? I work for a hospice and it is always free at the point of care, no bill would ever be presented under any circumstances. If a patient has private health care we ask the families permission if we may contact the health insurer and see if they will contribute to the care, some do some don't but it is never an issue in any hospice I know as all care is free as they are all registered charities and would lose their charitable status. Many patients do give donations but they are purely voluntary.

I am sure that it is totally different in care homes as they are not charities and then it is up to the local authority or NHS trust.

Why don't you make an appointment to speak to the Medical Director (or whoever is in total charge) of the care/nursing home asap just to reassure yourself that seeking private physio will have no impact on the NHS care she is receiving and get a reply in writing to cover you for the future. This should remove any fears you have.I know you have enough on your plates without any added stress but I feel sure you have nothing to worry about, get the reassurance you need from the professionals involved. Good luck and best wishes.

Ann

Hi Phil

I have left a few days before responding again. Have you managed to secure confirmation that if you have private physio the home will still be covered? The last thing you want to be dealing with is beaurocracy at a time like this. I do hope you have managed to secure either NHS physio or peace of mind that the home is still going to be paid for if you have to find an alternative route.Perhaps your GP can help to sort this problem out as he can push for NHS referrals for you, I know the home contacted him but it may be worth you visiting him too and explaining your worries and concerns.There is also the possibility that a physio hearing of your plight could volunteer their help, I know that we have had a physio in the past helping out on a voluntary basis at the hospice, anything is worth a try, a bit of publicity would help your case if this was needed.

Good luck and best wishes for further signs of recovery, stay positive and look after your own health and well being so you can be there for Sharon. I know that all you want is to be able to lead a happy life together with no worries.

Ann