Rehab Centres

Hello,

I am new to this discussion group and am writing on behalf of my mum who recently had a SAH back in March this year. She was lucky to survive a large bleed and is thankfully still with us a couple of major operations on. I am really writing to see if anyone on this discussion group knew of any good rehabilitation centres in the London/Surrey area. We are currently battling with the NHS hospital that my mum is in as she has been turned down by two of the three rehab centres in our area. Our last hope is the Royal Neuro-disibility Hospital in Putney SW london. We are trying to get her into this hospital but the NHS hospital she is currently in is saying that this is no better that her being in a general hospital. Does anyone have any views of any rehabs as we are trying to find alternatives whilst they are arguing about money as this is a charity run hospital. I really feel that I am banging my head against a brick wall with the NHS. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Sarah

Hi Sarah,

Sorry to hear about your Mum; my partner had her SAH in March the year before but she survived and I'm grateful for that. I live in the North East and can only speak from my own experience with Sharon, but it depends on your Mum's condition.

Sharon was transferred back to the local hospital from Newcastle where she had her operations. The local hospital assessed her condition and suggested she should be assessed at Walkergate Neuro Rehabilitation Centre. She was here for two months and at the end of the assessment the results were not good as they weren't at Newcastle. She's now in a nursing home three miles away. I'm currently pushing for a physiotherapist which the Stroke Unit at the local hospital have refused.

From what I can gather it is a funding and resources issue together with the assessment prognosis which determines whether or not they will do anything. They are accountable for their actions and if a patient has been given a bad prognosis then they won't put themselves in the 'firing line'.

It is an awful situation and you must feel very frustrated but don't take any sh*t, dig your heels in. Many people have been given the 'that's it' verdict and have made remarkable recoveries over time and that's what keeps me going with Sharon - I see things in her that a doctor won't see at all.

I would keep battling with the local hospital as they are the ones that will determine where your Mum goes - with Sharon Newcastle were ready to send her to a hospital determined by our post code which is miles away!! The 'local' hospital is ten minutes away but has a different post code - it really is that stupid sometimes.

Ward 6 at the local hospital was superb and they really took pride in the care and attention they gave Sharon and were responsible for getting her to Walkergate.

I don't know about the situation in your area but keep digging your heels in.

And you've found the best place for support and advice - someone here will know something, but feel free to ask anything about anything.

My heart goes out to you and your family.

Phil

xxx