Study regarding caring for someone following a stroke

I have been approached by Natasha Young to submit the following post on her behalf ..... if you are a carer/partner and are interested in taking part in this study, the please click onto the page link at the bottom of this post. Thank you.....

Information Sheet: Caring for Someone Following a Stroke

I am Natasha Young, a Trainee Clinical Psychologist on the Doctoral Programme in Clinical Psychology at the University of Southampton. I am requesting your participation in a study regarding caring for someone following a stroke. Before you decide whether or not to take part, it is important for you to understand why the research is being done and what it will involve. Please take time to read the following information carefully and discuss it with others if you wish. Do not hesitate to ask us if there is anything that is not clear or if you would like more information. Thank you for reading this.

What is the study about?

Previous research has looked at how people cope with and adjust to significant life events such as illness. This study is designed to explore the way in which family members and informal carers cope with changes following a stroke and adjust to the experience of caring for someone who has had a stroke.

Why have I been chosen?

Any family member of, or person who cares informally for, someone who has had a stroke is eligible to take part in the study. We hope to recruit around 100 people to the study.

A note on terminology: research uses the terms ‘carer’ or ‘caregiver’ to refer to someone who provides unpaid care to another person requiring support due to illness or disability. This is usually a spouse or family member. Not everyone likes these terms and most people see themselves as a wife or son rather than a carer. However, for simplicity and consistency, ‘carer’ and ‘caregiver’ are used throughout the survey.

Do I have to take part?

It is entirely up to you to decide whether or not to take part. Completion and return of this questionnaire will be taken as evidence of you giving informed consent to be included as a participant in this study, for your data to be used for the purposes of research, and that you understand that published results of this research project will maintain your confidentiality. Your participation is voluntary and you may withdraw your participation at any time, without penalty.

What will happen if I decide to take part?

If you decide to take part you will be asked to complete a brief sheet that describes you (e.g. your age and relationship to the person who has had a stroke) and six further questionnaires. These should take about 15 minutes to complete in total.

Will the information I provide be kept confidential?

Yes, any information you give will be kept strictly confidential. The questionnaires are anonymous and you are not required to give your name, address or date of birth.

What will happen to the results of the study?

The results of the study will be written up as part of my Clinical Psychology Doctorate at the University of Southampton and will be written up for publication in a psychological journal. It is also hoped that what we learn will be of benefit to professionals working with people who have had a stroke and their families and informal carers. A brief summary of the findings will be made available on request.

Who has reviewed the study to protect the participants?

This study has been reviewed and approved by the School of Psychology Research Ethics Committee, University of Southampton, Tel: (023) 80595578.

Contact for further information

If you would like more information about any aspect of the study, or if you have any questions or concerns at any time, please do not hesitate to contact Dr Matt Garner, Lecturer in Psychology, School of Psychology, University of Southampton, Highfield, Southampton SO17 1BJ; Tel: (023) 80595926; Email: m.j.garner@soton.ac.uk.

If you would like to take part in this study, please would you click on the following page link http://www.psychology.soton.ac.uk/psych ... rveyID=377

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ElaineW

H Karen -I didn't realise a SAH was a type of stroke - I thought that was all down to limb paralysis so I have completed a questionnaire

Elaine