FES devices 8 years post sah. Any pointers?

Hi, I'm janey, just had my 8 year post sah anniversary.  I was 32 at the time. I have been on here on and off throughout that time, depending on how life is. Currently life is good and for those of you needing a boost. I have currently been living alone for 4 years, no easy  task but it gets easier every day.

I have also just celebrated my one year back as a nurse. It took a while to find a suitable job and someone willing to give me a chance....but finally did it. So please don't give up on yourself and your dreams anything is possible if your determined and prepared to compromise a little on your goals. Due to working back on a Ward I am on my feet a lot more than ever before since my stroke. I have never had great success with orthosis. They either are not supportive enough or very painful.

This has led me to start looking at FES devices (Functional Electrical Stimulation) but reviews are mixed about how long after you develop foot drop, how useful they can be, so just wondering if anyone else has tried them further down the line and what if any success they have had.

Welcome to BTG Janey.

I haven't any experience of them but someone I know was interested in them but they were deemed unsuitable, why I don't know.

Are there any suppliers who will assess you and give you a trial of one before you decide to buy? As far as I am aware they are very expensive and to purchase one and it not be suitable would be such a waste of money.

I found this article on them, possibly your primary care trust could fund one for you or reading on in the article the DWP Access to Work scheme could possibly help with the cost.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2582965/Andrew-Marr-uses-FES-NHS-trusts-wont-pay-them.html

Typical NHS physios could not do an assessment for it, but I have found a private physio not too far away from where I live who can do the assessment to see if it will even work before I even think about funding etc, my orthotics advised the assessment it, does not work for everyone. I just wondered if anyone on here had tried it. The only people interlibrary experience of them are parents of children. 

Archived