Frustrated after NASAH

Hi everyone!

My story:

I suffered a non-aneurysmal subarachnoid haemorrhage exactly 5 weeks ago.  After the obligatory phone call to NHS Direct, who recommended seeing my GP ASAP, I was sent to the local Ambulatory Care Unit and, after a CT scan confirming I'd had a bleed, was whisked off to the Neurosurgery department at John Radcliffe in Oxford.

Four scans (3 x CT, 1 x DSA) and three weeks later, I was still there!  Despite having practically no symptoms at all after the first 48 hours, apart from occasional very mild headaches, I was told I had suffered a vasospasm (which I understand is a common consequence of a NASAH) and couldn't be sent home until it had had time to repair itself. 

My 3 weeks consisted of alternating periods of being told I was fully mobile (which I certainly was, going up and down 4 flights of stairs every morning to buy my newspaper) and periods confined to bedrest because, I was told, even venturing beyond the ward could bring on a stroke(!).

They finally got fed up with me and, without any further scans, I was discharged 10 days ago.  I feel perfectly fine, even the mild headaches have gone, and I'm happy to take the doctors' word that the vasospasm must also be gone by now.

But, frustratingly, it's been spelled out to me in no uncertain terms that I can't drive until I've jumped through the DVLA's hoops.  That turned out to be a major pain as we'd booked several months ago to spend the weekend just gone at Center Parcs with the grandkids - it was touch-and-go as to whether I'd be discharged in time, but I was and we decided to go ahead (and had a great time). My wife, unfortunately, had to do all the driving and I'm currently preparing to do battle with the DVLA to get the OK to drive again myself.

I was hoping that an appointment with my GP yesterday would secure her OK to drive, which I could relay to the DVLA, but S*d's Law ensured that when she took my BP it was way higher than it has been, so she's insisting on a week's worth of home readings as evidence that I'm recovered.

I'd be very interested in comparing notes with anyone who can identify with any of the above.

Dave

Hi Dave a very warm welcome to BTG

So pleased to read you are doing so well after your non-aneurysmal subarachnoid haemorrhage.

I can understand your frustration at not being able to drive, but its the law, frustrating as it may be.

Here are links to some other posts that may help you. I do know from experience that the DVlA can be very slow, keep chasing them once you have sent all the relevant information to them. 

https://web.behindthegray.net/forum/23-driving-after-sah/

https://web.behindthegray.net/search/?q=driving

Good luck and take care, let us know how you get on.

Tina  

Archived