Advice on communication and iniation

Guest dragonfly7

Guest dragonfly7

So a little about my experience (the short story version), my boyfriend Tim had an aneurysm rupture in Nov 2008, they coiled his aneurysm, then he had a blood clot form and they had to do a craniotomy to relieve the pressure in his brain. They put him into a medicinal coma for a week and he had a shunt put in. He was in the ICU for 5 weeks and has been in acute rehab hospital since. However he has had various trips back to the hospital due to infections, one in the shunt, so they had to remove that and put a new one in again. He is slowly beginning to recover physically, just started walking more, seems to be getting a little of his short term memory back, however some days are better than others. He occasionally talks but not much, and when he talks it's in a whisper. He seems to have all of his long term memory, if somewhat jumbled at the moment.

Some questions I have=) We are struggling with communicating with Tim effectively, I see people getting frustrated with him for not speaking or answering questions right away (not completly understanding that it's hard for him to form the words or answers). Does anyone have any advice on getting Tim to open up more and to speak more or will this come with time? Yesterday I asked if his throat was sore when he talked and he said yes, he did have a tube for a while and a trach but they have been out for months, would it still be causing him soreness?

He also seems to be a bit confused sometimes about things, he thought he was going to have dinner with his dad the other day (his dad passed away four years ago), or his muscles were sore and he told me it was from swimming (he hadn't been swimming in a while). Is this type of confusion typical?

Also we are dealing with a bit of an iniation problem. We have to give him cues to move, find out if he isn't feeling good, blow his nose, eating, etc. Does this come with time too. Is there anything we can be doing to help him.

Phew, a lot more questions than I thought I had. Thank you for any advice you have.

Hi there

and a warm welcome to the site....

Your not alone in the questions your asking, I'm assuming that the hospital is teaching Tim the things that he is finding difficult.

I was in a Rehab hospital which I thought I didnt need to go to I thought there was nothing at all wrong with me I was so wrong about that, and I'm so pleased that I went it was the best thing......

Its SO annoying when people get frustrated its hard to understand a question and form an answer its really quite difficult but the more he does it the easier it should become.

You should ask the staff about his throat its probably a case of elemination.....

I thought that my Mum and Granny had been visiting me on and off while in hospital when I asked why hadnt they been in for a while I was told that they'd been gone for some years, its strange the tricks the mind plays on you, either that of the medication....

if your being talked to asked questions then it'll just be time why not ask the rehab if there's anything that you can do.....

take care, Louise.xx

HI DRAGONFLY

WELCOME TO BTG.

IT CAN BE VERY FRUSTRATING, AND PATIENTS IS A MUST FOR THOSE AROUND.

IT HAS BEEN 3 AND A HALF YEARS FOR ME AND I STILL HAVE DAYS WHEN IT IS HARD TO EXPRESS MYSELF VERBALLY I STILL HAVE TROUBLE REMEMBERING WORDS WHEN I AM SPEAKING. I HAVE FOUND WRITTING AND READDING HELPS ALOT.

BUT TRY NOT TO PUSH TO HARD IT CAN MAKE ONE FEEL LIKE THEY ARE NOT KEEPING UP WHEN ALL WE REALLY WANT IS TO GET BACK TO NORMAL.

ONLY TIME WILL TELL WHAT WILL BE NORMAL FOR YOUR GUY. BUT I KNOW MY FAMILY LIKE THE NEW ME.

SO GIVE IT TIME.

TAKE CARE EVELYN

Hi

I have been told that I got things confused aswell, thought my Mum was still alive, thought we were having an indian meal in the hospital as well! got dates mixed up - even though SAH was June 08 I said it was 1995 and Margaret Thatcher was prime minister. my duaghters kept a diary of the things I did and said, it certainly filled the gaps in when I was better again! it will take time but it will get better and then you can laugh about it! please PM me if you wish

Regards

Caroline