Brian - new member

Thatnewnew

Hello everyone,

I was in a bad car accident about 4 months ago. Luckily I survived, but my mind hasn’t been the same. The first few months I was thinking/feeling everything would just eventually heal or not. 

The first probably 3 months, I didn’t understand the severity of this so I acted somewhat normal. I even drank alcohol a couple of times. My primary physician that I had my first appointment with, told me that memory loss is to be expected in my position and should more or less get better within a year. He referred me to a neurologist, but I believe what happened was that it got cancelled and I didn’t understand how severe this is. 

I'm 27, 4 months later I’m still feeling everything I was feeling before for worse. I feel tired, my short & long term memory is really bad. After looking at the diagnosis that I was given, that’s when I made my appointment with my neurologist but in 2 weeks. 

I’m scared, I don’t know what to do. I didn’t treat all of this with caution and now I feel I just messed everything up. Also with Covid happening, I’ve been scared to even go to the hospital right now. I don’t know what to do in the mean time or think, all I’ve been doing is trying to educate myself on what has been happening to me with google searches. 

Hi Brian

A very warm welcome to BTG.

Sounds like you are going through a really tough time. Sorry to hear about your accident. You are still in the very early stages of recovery and your body tells you when you are pushing too hard and need to take things slow.

Being scared is very normal. Things will improve, it just takes time. Sometimes one step forwards and two steps back, but it will get better. You are very young and that is on your side. Try not to google because i think you can scare yourself unnecessarily.

You have definitely come to the right place for support and information. We cant give medical advice but we can share our experiences.

Perhaps you can share a little bit more about yourself, what type of head injury you have and if you needed any surgery. I hope when you see your neurologist they can give you some peace of mind. As you say, with Covid lots of appointments have been put back and that causes anxiety in itself. 

You have not messed everything up at all and don't be scared to go to the hospital for your appointment. I have to go this  week and i know the hospitals are being very careful to keep everyone safe.

When i had my brain haemorrhage I felt very scared and anxious and i went to my Doctor and he put me in touch with someone to talk to, it really helped. Do you have family and friends that can help and support you ?

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Take care

Tina

Thank you so much.., I’ve been so hard on myself for not attempting to reschedule my appointment with my neurologist that got cancelled because I forgot to. I didn’t understand how severe this is.

As for what type of head injury I got, I don’t actually know I just read looking back again the diagnosis which was “traumatic brain injury, history of subarachnoid hemorrhage”. If I can recall what the doctors at my accident said, they said there was bleeding but it stopped so they didn’t have to operate. 

I’m regretting everything right now and beating myself up so bad because I could have treated this earlier. I don’t remember the accident, the days after I remember having some amnesia that got better.

Im feeling a lot of brain fog right now, I’m not able to articulate myself like how I used to, I’m forgetting a lot of things, my body hurts, I am having trouble processing things. I have always had anxiety+depression but with this happening it has increased so much. I can’t tell if I’m over thinking or if I should go to the hospital right now. I do have my appointment set, but it still being in 2 weeks my mind has been racing.

Im at my elderly mothers house at the moment with all this happening, but with covid happening I’ve been so scared to just be in the hospital and possibly passing it on to them. I know I shouldn’t be reading about this online as it could cause a lot of worry, but Im at the point of feeling like I messed up by not taking this seriously I have no other place to go.

I appreciate the response so much, I don’t know where else to go at the moment. I don’t know what to watch out for, I don’t know if I am thinking too much or I should just go call the ambulance.

1 hour ago, Thatnewnew said:

Im feeling a lot of brain fog right now, I’m not able to articulate myself like how I used to, I’m forgetting a lot of things, my body hurts, I am having trouble processing things. I have always had anxiety+depression but with this happening it has increased so much. I can’t tell if I’m over thinking or if I should go to the hospital right now. I do have my appointment set, but it still being in 2 weeks my mind has been racing.

Brian all that you have mentioned, many of us here can relate to.  I had bad head, neck and back pain for months. I was told it was the blood dispersing though the spinal fluid. I had pain for at least a year. Forgetfulness, brain fog, trouble processing things and also not articulating how you used to, are all common side effects from a bleed. I use post it notes or reminders on my phone. When i am tired finding the right words are difficult sometimes. Also suffer from fatigue.

Pace yourself, listen to your body and learn your limits. Your brain has had a major trauma and is working overtime trying to repair and function as normal. Be kind to yourself.

If you are feeling really unwell then go to hospital to get checked out. Sometimes though when you get anxious and stressed everything seems a hundred times worse. The positives are you survived. You have sorted an appointment and 2 weeks will soon fly by. Rest up  as much as you can and try not to stress. Easy to say i know. Try to drink plenty of water. It really helps.

I am sure that others here will let you know their experiences too.

Let us know how you are doing.

Take care

Tina

Archived