Sleep Apnoea

Hi All

Well, what started of yesturday (Tues 23rd June) as a Snoring Dog that might have Sleep Apnoea, certantly got a few people responding. I've been asked if I would post some information on this subject.

Obstructive Sleep Apnoea (OSA) is a condition which causes interruptions in breathing during sleep.

For people with OSA, two types of interruptions to breathing can occur. These are described below.

Apnoea: during an apnoea, the muscles in the throat relax and cause a total blockage of the throat's airway. An apnoea usually lasts for around 10 seconds.

Hypopnoea: a hypopnoea is a partial blockage of the airway, which halves the amount of oxygen that is taken into the body. As with an apnoea, hypopnoea also usually last for around 10 seconds. (Because of these episodes of hypopnoea, doctors sometimes use the term 'obstructive sleep apnoea hypopnoea syndrome').The term 'obstructive' is used to distinguish OSA from rarer forms of sleep apnoea, such as central sleep apnoea, which is caused by the brain 'forgetting' to breathe during sleep.

Symptoms of Sleep Apnoea

Most people with obstructive sleep apnoea (OSA) will snore loudly. Their partners may notice that their breathing is laboured and noisy and it can often be interrupted by gasping and snorting as they experience an episode of apnoea.

If you have OSA you may have no memory of your sleep being interrupted but you will wake feeling that you have not had a decent night's sleep.

For full draft of this paper, please use the following link:

Source Details: http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Sleep-apno ... ction.aspx

I hold no responsibility for the content and all information provided is not a substitute for a professional opinion.

KeithH

Fellow Stroke Survivor