has anyone had an SAH caused by hypertension not aneurysms etc?

Hi Kellie

I am on 5 different medications at the moment but the problem with me that my BP flatuates very quickly even with the meds so that is why I have been referred to a Cardiologist.

It is important to keep your BP under control especially people who have a SAH and even with another aneurysm.

My hunny is on BP meds and pain meds to keep the pain down so the BP doesn't rise. I believe his anny was caused by high BP and might even be Marfans. Look it up. May be your problem. How are you coping? Any pain?

My husband was just the same, blood pressure not really an issue before the SAH and then BANG something went pop in his head and that was it.

Ever since the SAH his blood pressure is remaining consistently good on the low side, it is almost as if something had been building up, went pop, and now blood pressure is OK.

He is still not back to anything like normal though. Cannot get out of bed without falling back dizzy and has no energy at all even though we are 10 weeks on. I get really upset because people can't understand why he isn't going back to work yet, but he just isn't well enough. His continual burping problem is driving us both nuts, it is totally involuntary and goes on for ages - absolutely awful!

Seeing neurologist this week and hope to get some answers on how long recovery will be and why he is getting some strange things happening.

It seems that the recovery is just as long whether or not you need surgery, the fact that you have had a bleed seems to cause the same amount of damage - am I right?

I think that you are right to assume that the bleed does the damage. I have certainly been led to believe that the aneurysm is not necessarily a problem but the bleed is. I shall certainly watch my BP from now on I had high blood pressure before the SAH, pretty normal now, but I'm watching very carefully as we know there is another aneurysm lurking and I ceratinly don't want it to pop:roll:

i don't think it matters wether you have had an anurysm or not, i'm 6 months on and still recovering in numerous ways, my left side is still weak, good but not as strong as it was, my memory, concentration, emotions, my whole life! i couldn't have even dreamed of going back to work after 10 weeks! at that stage i was still in hospital, i'd only just started to walk again and my arm didn't do much. i got extremely tired then xx

We didn't find out that my husband had suffered an SAH until 10 days after the event.

Turns out that he had the SAH early in the early morning and then went into hospital that afternoon for an operation on his shoulder, which he refused to cancel:crazy:

Just kept getting worse following the op and ended up back in hospital at the end of the next week, absolute shock.

I find that now I cry at the drop of a hat, I just feel so emotional about everything.

It is bad enough that he hasn't been able to speak for over two years following an op to remove burst appendix (obviously something happened when they anaesthetised him), but I never expected this.

Edited by melbury

that must have been a shock! when mine started it was a shock when i found out what was actually wrong with me, i didn't dream it would have been that. it sounds like you and your husband have been through an awful lot, no wonder you cry, do you have any support for yourself? xx