Non Annie SAH questions

Hi everyone, I also believe stress has something to do with the event. I was under a lot of stress at work, working long hours, always on the blackberry. At the time of the actual brain bleed I was in a very stressful meeting - so much so that my team lead opted out and I said I would do it on my own. There are no hard feelings, he wasn't feeling well and he felt horrible after what happened to me.

As for 'no damage', I didn't believe that. There is no way I can feel like this and have no damage. Luckily the insurance company wanted to know what was happening in my head too so I had neuro cognitive testing done. I do have minor deficits caused by the blood pooling from the NASAH. It's an 'auditory attention deficit' and is measurable. When I'm fatigued I stop retaining information. When I'm bombarded by sounds and distractions like in a restaurant or a meeting at work it drains my brain and brings on the fatigue. I have a 50 page report from a neuropsychologist that explains it all. I was grateful to feel validated that things were not quite right and I wasn't imagining stuff. I'm still recovering but in the meantime I know that the bleed cause some problems. They may go away overtime or be with me for the rest of my life. I feel better knowing.

This doesn't mean everyone who had a NASAH or any type of bleed has permanent deficits. I think Im trying to say that we seem to have to push hard to find out exactly what happened and if there are long term effects. We may need to use more resources such as neuropsych and rehab besides just the neurologist or neurosurgeon.

Sandi K.

Edited by Sandi K

Yes, I think stress could have been the culprit, although the opinions differ regarding if an actual event caused this, whether stress or injury. I saw my neurologist yesterday and once again, when I brought up the fact that I had a good crack to the head three weeks prior, he said that these types of bleeds are not caused by trauma to the head. Ok, then - we really like to have the "whys" answered so we can feel somehow able to prevent an occurance, which I was told, isn't likely.

I was stressed out after six months of ongoing diagnostics and surgeries for my cancer. Most people thought I was coping well by looking at me, but inside, it was destroying me.

My final diagnosis: Benign bleed, non-aneurysm SAH, deduced from three CT scans and one angiogram. No aneurysm detected. Right parietal lobe (sensory/spatial area of brain).

Seven week follow up yesterday, the neurologist told me I may return to driving and increase fitness level as I feel fit to. Yay :-D Most issues are almost recovered (95%) with the exception of some fatigue if I overdo it and very minor sensory issues (ie vision, depth perception, sense of touch mainly). Ok to proceed with cancer treatment. The doctor also mentioned that my small sub group of NA-SAH tend to make excellent full recovery, but just can't predict how soon. Not sure if I got off easy, or if it's just where the bleed occured, as my bleed was a large one. I have not had headaches for over three weeks. So doing well as can be expected - it was a rough few weeks initially and some very dark days. Doctor kept telling me yesterday - "you are not fragile" and told me that I can return to whatever activities I feel up to, even skiing, although depth perception could cause me to trip up. I'm not rushing out to do anything too strenuous, no worries - will pace myself....

I know I've more than answered your questions Mary - sorry for the ramble.

Sue

Thank you Sue, You certainly have a plate full. I would imagine with cancer surgeries and treatment your body is in a confused state of mind so to speak. One of my best friends has battled cancer and a a long treatment, she is as confused as I am most of the time.

I feel silly for even started this post now that I have my scan results and I can read them and put it all together. I see stress is a factor in all of us though.

Have a great day , mary

Mary - Why would you feel silly for starting this post? You had questions and you invited input. Nothing wrong with that.

One of the little gifts the SAH gave me was/is the ability to deal better with the cancer diagnosis. I'm not sorry it happened but perhaps in all fairness I wouldn't say that if I were left with some challenging deficiencies.

K

I had my follow up Neuro appt. yesterday. I am cleared for 4 months unless something comes up. I am doing well and better than expected. I declined migraine medications becuz of side effects are worse than contast headaches. I do not have to see my neurosurgeon for a year after my mri on 2/21/12.

I did get my MRI w& W/O contrast reports and some CT scans from admitting day. Interesting reads. I do not understand when I tell these dr.s that my reading, writing and verbal skills are worse as I always was dyslexic but now it is just awful at times. I also cannot even look at the washing machine when it is agitating. They just took notes but after reading about where my white matter, softnes or degeneration of brain tissue is it explains it all to me. I just do not understand why they cannot just say well your scan says that as well!

I however feel better about reading about it because it helps me understand but I am just speechless when it comes to them sharing or maybe they think it wil improve later so they do not want to hold us back. I dont know.

m

Mary,

I think I also have mild dyslexia...only found out as an adult...but I have the same thing about mixing up letters in words more than what I had before. Even my typing is atrocious and I have to correct it all over the place. I think that's more about where my fingers are in space (proprioception) than anything else though. I've also noticed that I have more trouble shifting to different positions on my cello too because of that. It does seem to be getting a little better though...I just wish I could be Kris again. The doc's don't seem to get anything.

~Kris

I also think that I didn't feel entitled to feeling as bad as I do in that when I was first in the neuro ICU, the doctors told me that I'd be out in a week and would have no permanent damage as the blood was not on the brain so to speak...that all my grey and white matter were intact...no damage to any brain cells. Well, it took me 3 weeks in the hospital and when I got home I had vertigo so I felt like I was in a gyroscope all the time - even when sleeping. It goes against everything I've been taught as a neurophysiologist. I'm beginning to think that the supporting fluid plays a more important role in the way our brain operates, and since that was greatly disturbed, I've had difficulties.

Anyway, I'm starting to feel like it's OK to be recovering and for my brain to not be functioning at %100 (Even though I hate it).

~Kris