SAH experience with strange walking problems

Guest Mary J

Hi everyone, I just introduced myself yesterday. I had my sah on lst may 2006, and was pretty good for about a month until my walking started to deteriorate. I would walk ok sometimes and then Id start to shuffle, like Parkinson’s gait, then the worst: I would sometimes start to run involuntarily. It was very scary, and also meant that I couldn’t go outside on my own. I also had problems with bladder incontinence and my neurologist had prescribed two conflicting medications, which my neurosurgeon told me to discontinue. I was told that the problems were caused by hydrocephalus (fluid on the brain not being drained naturally) The doctors said the only cure was a permanent drain being inserted and would have to be done locally as they tend to need to be adjusted quickly. After I discontinued the medication , the problem gradually went away without insertion of drain., which was a great relief. I think the worst part of all of this was that no-one seemed to know anything about , or ever have heard of “the running†When I told the Surgeon who did my operation initially about it, he turned to the Neuroradiologist and said “that’s a new one for me, have you ever heard of that†and the answer was NO! I eventually found out that it’s not that uncommon, so if this helps someone who thinks, like me that they are going mad, then that’s great!

Hi Mary

Thanks for the info - there seems to be so much that the surgeon/consultant/gp says shouldn't/can't/won't be related to SAH when what we all experience seems to discount that. Must have been really scary though, not to be in control of your walking or movement.

I do think that the experts should listen and take seriously the experiences of their patients, i.e. US. After all, the customer is always right!

Sarah x