lack of awareness on one side

Since my SAH I have a lack of awareness on my left side. I bump into things on my left and I always look twice to the left when I'm crossing the road. It's not that there is anything wrong with my eyes but just that things I see don't always register with my brain unless I am really concentrating.

Has anyone else experienced this? I find it really strange.

Anne

Hi Anne

I have the same problem and am quite often startled when someone/thing comes up behind me on the left. I did have a third nerve palsy on my left eye but according to the Opthamologist the vision in my left eye is fine now.

Maybe it is just the brain not registering things as quickly.

Janet x

Hi Anne

I am exactly the same, but on the right hand side.... drives me mad... keep bruising myself. I also had 3rd nerve palsy, and think it is just the brain not reacting as fast as it should, also possibly still my eyes and balance not helping... dont know sorry!!! I really can sympathize with you, Anne.

Take care

Love Tinaxx

Have you had a visual fields test ? info

I lost the sight in my left eye due to either the SAH or clipping and thought my right was undamaged, however visual fields tests indicate that I have large areas (almost 3/4) of my peripheral vision missing. I can see fine if I look directly at something which gave me the impression that all was okay. But things can and do catch me out. Cyclists jumping traffic lights at pedestrian crossings are a particular bane of my life, still I'm a big bloke so they tend to bounce of me :wink:

Hope things get better for you, I can certainly appreciate the frustration you must be feeling.

All the best

Graham

Graham - thanks for the advice on the visual fields as that may well be something to do with my problem. I've had my eyes tested since my SAH and there was no change in my vision but they didn't look at visual fields as far as I know. At first after my SAH I would sometimes drop things from my left hand if the thing I was carrying was light and I wasn't concentrating but I've not done that for a while. So I think it may involve loss of sensation too in my case. But it's one of my more minor problems as long as I'm careful crossing roads!

Hi Anne

I too have the same problem but on my right side (3rd nerve palsy like Tina was behind the right eye). I always double check when I come to a road junction, its as if there is a slight delay before I correctly assess the state of the road.

I'm also careful to clasp things properly with my right hand otherwise I end up dropping things (sort of as if I don't have strength in my right hand anymore).

Big hug

Lesley xxx

Yes I broke my little toe on my left foot last week through not noticing the leg of the bed and catching my toe on it. I also stepped on an exhibition in an art gallery; it was placed on the floor to my left and I didn't see it & suddenly I could hear a crunch. I'll have to be more careful though when I'm tired, I'm much worse.