Australians on line

Hi Karen,

I thought I'd run this by your members to see how many Aussies out there have experienced a SAH and have found this wonderful site as helpful as I have, it really is a tremendous thing to be able to make contact with other survivors and receive so much information and help. I have just finished reading "A Dented Image" and found it to be a very good read. I live on the Central Coast NSW Australia and would dearly like to hear from any Australians or New Zealanders who have had this happen to them or their loved ones. Thanks Karen you are a real treasure.

lots of love

Diane

Hi Diane,

Think that it's a very good idea and hope that you get some response ...... glad that you found the book helpful and I know that Alison would be pleased to hear that it's found its way out to Australia. :) Do you know of an Aussie websites like this one? Would imagine that there must some type of support for the brain injured....

Hi Karen,

No Unfortunately there isn't anything over here that I can see and I have searched that was how I came upon your site, and thank goodness I did it can be such a lonely situation to be in when you first leave the hospital if I can help others the way you have helped and supported me, I will.

lots of love

Diane xxx

Hi Diane,

Well, I'm not surprised that you haven't been able to find anything specific to SAH ..... when I get 5 mins tomorrow, I'll see if I can do an internet trawl .... I can only imagine that there must be a lot of people in Australia that aren't able to access some support .... it's pretty bad really that everything has to be done on a voluntary basis ..... I have two sister-in-laws that live in/near Melbourne by the way ... they met a load of Aussie guy's in the UK who were on UK work experience trip :wink: and lived in the flat above them... one got married to somebody that she met in the UK and they both went to Australia .... the other sister-in-law met somebody in Australia, married him and stayed out there.

It would be good to find an Australian website, that I could approach, as in a website link .... if you know of any, then let me know.... :)

Hope that this message finds you well and being as active as ever! :)

Hi Diane

I am just over the ditch from you. The support for SAH over here in non-existent. You get kicked out of hospital and thats it....nothing. Thank God for this site!!!! I feel like I am the only one in this country that this has happened to. Looking forward to chatting with you more :D

hugs

shiree

Hi Shiree,

Thanks for getting back to me so promptly. I am a kiwi living in Australia when I had my SAH 20th March 2007 I am very grateful to doctors and nursing staff here for the wonderful care and attention I received while in hospital but like you once I left that invironment there was absolutley nothing out there in the way of support so this site has been a such a godsend. I look forward to hearing more from you.

Regards

Diane

Hi Diane

How is your recovery so far? What made you cross the ditch?

Yep this website has been a huge help in recovery - I would recommend it to anybody who has gone through a SAH. Lets face it - the biggest thing I wanted to know was - will I ever feel "normal" again? No one has the answer, but to hear people who have been through it, and talk about their experience, is worth so much.

What part of NZ did you live in?

hugs

shiree

Hi Shiree,

So nice to hear back from you.. to answer your question I was living in Auckland but my family, my daughter and son with their children all live in Wanganui. My last visit home was in 2006 before SAH to tell you the truth I'm a bit nervous about flying but I will drum up the courage sometime soon, my daughter and her family did come over for a visit once I returned home from hospital and so did my son, we are in contact every day thanks to txt messaging. I came to Australia on a working holiday 19years ago during that time I met and married my husband George(my 2nd marriage) we then went to Auckland where he opened a NZ branch of the company he works for and we stayed there for 10 years then his company wanted him back in head office which is in Sydney and he drives back and forth everyday from the coast its mainly freeway so the traffic isn't too much of a problem. we both love it here I like the climate its much warmer, I don't handle the cold very well.

As far as my health is I'm doing very well I started getting back into things that I was used to doing before SAH but it was too much and I had to take a good hard look at what I was asking of my body and make the necessary changes. I was a very fit keen bushwalker, cyclist, bowler and kayaker before this happened I think this played a major role in my survival, anyhow I thought (as you do) I was 10foot high and bulletproof when I left hospital and tried to go on as I had before but then I crashed it was too much too soon, now I'm learning to accept what I can do and feel satisfied with it, mind you I still have to have my rest days in between and at the moment I'm playing Lawn bowls twice a week and a bushwalk or cycle with my husband on a weekend (weather permitting) and neither of those involve long distance at this stage.

I found this site BTG probably like you did in desperation searching for some sort of guidance and they have all been wonderful, I have also managed to get a copy of Jane Lapotaire TIME OUT OF MIND and A DENTED IMAGE Alison Wertheimer the latter especially I found very helpful in the way it described the way others were recovering after their SAH I think it put my mind at ease in the way others were experiencing much the same as I am. It was mainly fatigue that bothers us the most, how about you, how are you doing? I would be very interested in hearing your story, have posted it on the BTG website? I will give you my email address in case you would like to make contact.

dianerhedey@yahoo.com.au

please feel free to email me anytime

my very best to you

Diane