Karen's Update

Hi Andy,

Many thanks for your article, it's great! (Hope you don't run out of ideas!) I'm not doing too badly today, a bit better than yesterday, but still tired. Get fed up with the fatigue and the blips after 14 months. Still, my mood has picked up, which is the main thing that I'm always grateful for.

Have been doing a little bit of sewing tonight.....making Christmas Decs.....Yes.....I know it's only September! Be prepared is my motto! I love Christmas! :D

How's life with you? All is very quiet here and not much news at the minute. I've been getting a few offers of links with this site, which is encouraging. Could just do with a few more people posting etc.....but hopefully we will get there!

Gerry from the Val Hennessy Trust e-mailed me the story of the trusts origins, so hope to write an article about its background, if he gives me permission. He also mentioned that Alison Wertheimer used his drop in centre for some of her book interviews. Small world isn't it.

Anyway, another early night tonight for me.......so will speak soon,

Karen x

Hi Andy

Yeah the wadge of stuff arrived yesterday so I had a bit of light reading last night.

I'm four weeks post SAH in the early hours of tomorrow morning.

Am struggling a bit emotionally this morning though. Constantly waking with a sick feeling in the pit of my stomache is starting to wear me down. ANy idea how long that feeling will last? I know that it could be down to anxiety and I also know that my op was a success and that I have come away from the SAH with hardly a scratch so to speak. The mental issues are more daunting and painful for me. I've gone from being a hard person capable of controlling my emotions to a gibbering wreck that can't stop crying. I feel anxious, confused and angry all at the same time. The only way I can describe how I feel is that I am grieving something or someone but I don't know what or who!!

I know that I have made a remarkable recovery in such a short space of time and that this indicates that my SAH wasn't as serious as it could have been, I know that the surgery was a complete success and that the surgeons are very happy with the results so why the hell do I feel so down?

On that note I'm going to see if I can catch up on some sleep.

Andy, thank you very much for the information it has been very useful and now we have something that we can refer to when we're unsure.

Catch you all later

Sami xxx

Sam-i am sure what you describe is not at all unusual-remember this is a huge shock to the system and you are possibly still only coming around to the reality of what actually happened to you!!

I think it really took me months to appreciate it!

Life hangs on but a thread at times and you and i (along with most SAH sufferers)have experienced that in a very personal way.

I can't help but feel you are doing too much maybe-stick to getting rest as much as you need it and don't push yourself too hard.

I remember getting very tearful at times but for me I stuck with it and didn't need anti deps...... until i had a problem a year later!

I am no medical expert so I wouldn't like you to take all I say as Gospel..but if your feelings of depression get out of control please see your GP.

Your self help group will be good..so try and get to that!

Speak soon

Andy P

x

Hi All

I'm sort of worried about going to the self help group - I daren't face the prospect of what could have been if you know what I mean. I don't really want to go down the anti-dep road but I'm not totally opposed to it - they helped save my best friend's life. Maybe you're right about the doing too much thing - yesterday was a pretty big day for me really.

I've been reading up on Cognitive Behaviour Therapy and am thinking of giving that some research. My thoughts influence my feelings type therapy - if I can go to sleep not being worried about waking up with those feelings then maybe I won't wake up with them.

I'm not sleeping brilliantly anyway so we've decided that I'm going to try some nytol tablets to see if they help - cos I know that when I do sleep well then I feel generally better.

I've posted this bit onto the new discussion as well guys.

Sami xxx