Hello - Zoe

zoe1zoe1zoe1

Hi all. My 38 year old husband suffered an undiagnosed SAH (told it was migraine) 3 weeks ago and another on the 18th March when I found him collapsed. He is now in North Staffs Royal Infirmary on intensive Care. On the 19th he had surgery to coil the aneurism and then surgery to open the skull and remove the blood clot (skull has been left open). During surgery his pupils blew. He is currently sedated and on ventilator as he has a chest infection. So far he has paralysis to the left hand side but until he wakes we won't know what extent. He also has another 2 aneurisms which will require coiling. Just feel so helpless and scared.

• 1 month later...

Well it is now 9 weeks since Richards SAH so thought I would give you all an update. After being at North Staffs Royal Infirmary for 4 weeks Rich waas transferred to Princess Royal Hospital in Telford and is now on the rehab ward. He is now able to move his left leg a little bit (about 4 inches off the bed) but there is still no feeling or movement in his left arm. The left side of his face is also lacking in movement (his eye blinks but his mouth won't smile). He is very depressed and is having assessments with the neuropsychologist. The physios are getting him standing with a frame and trying to walk but this is going slow as he can't hold onto the frame properly with only one arm to use and the leg just drags. He has also said he is having problems with his eyesight. He can talk fine and recognises people but is still very confused (will argue till hes blue in the face that he has been for a jog) and has memory loss. Thinks he still lives at his mom and dads old address which he hasn't done for 12 years, can remember the conservatory he built a year ago for my grandparents but can;t remember building ours 6 months ago It appears to be very random. Thankfully he remembers me and the kids so couldn;t ask for more. Three days ago they started putting him in a wheelchair so I could take him for a wander outside so this is nice especially with this glorious weather. Richard has been referred to the Haywood Hospital in Stoke so waiting for an assessment to see of they will accept him. This will be for intensive rehabilitation.

I can see the remarkable progress Rich has made over the last nine weeks but am petrified for what the future holds. I hope he recovers enough so that he can have some independence (washing, dressing, etc). The docs originally said there was a chance the arm wouldn't recover but guess we just have to wait and see. The piece of skull that was removed won't be put back for at least another 4 months but now his hair is growing it doesn't look as noticeable but it is still hard getting used to the stares he gets from people. The last we heard when he was in Stoke was thjat the opther 2 anuerisms would be left for now as there was a greater chance of having a stroke (which would take out his right side)during surgery than there is of them bursting so this will be reviewed later.

I am thankful everyday that I still have my amazing husband. He is the strongest person I know to still be fighting this and I will be at his side to help him for as long as we are together.

Zoe, I think I've said this before, but it's very early days yet for Richard. I know that's hard to hear (mine was in February and they tell me it's early days!). All I can do is reiterate to you that my mum was practically a vegetable after her stroke, and she's living independently now, at age 78, even with weakness on her right side and persisting aphasia. Rich has youth on his side, I'm sure he'll go from strength to strength in rehab. It's just a long, long process. I hope he enjoys the weather! I remember when we were first able to take my mum out in the gardens of the rehab hospital, it was such a joy to see her! Take care, and keep smiling xx

Hi Zoe,remember to look after yourself it is early days for Richard and for you too. Often the carer forgets they need to rest. I know my family where exhausted bless them they had no respite. I send my Best Wishes to both you and to Richard for a trouble free time from now on. Maggie x