Stents & coiling?

Hi, it is now just over two years since I had my SAH, in May 2008, recovery has been a rollercoaster but with the info from this site I have generally been reassured.

I have just returned today from seeing the Consultant (annual Outpatient visit) & he has informed me that although my coiling has not deteriorated significantly since last years visit there has been some settling leaving a 'neck' on the offending aneurism so they feel it best to consider having a 'stent' fitted to bypass the aneurism, thus eliminating the potential risk (albeit small) of it rupturing again. This it seems is mainly due to my age (48) and that the alternative is continued annual monitoring which could be for 40+ years which obviously is not sensible & leaves me living with the threat!

The stent apparently would mean further follow ups for 2 years & as long as no problems that would be the end of it.........? Seems like a good choice to me but is there anyone who has experienced this and can advise of the risks, reasons, recovery etc?

I am not really worried but it has caught me by surprise, apologies if it seems rambling :roll: grateful for any return posts :-P

Hey there, I joined the SAH club in May 2006 and was coiled. At my 6 month check following my MRI, I was devastated to be told that there had been some movement and that I would need more coils inserted. This operation was attempted in March 2007, but was unsuccessful as the coils kept falling out and my blood pressure dropped to a critical level so the procedure was abandoned. It was not nice to be told by the nurse in the lift back up to the ward that "it didn't work!!!" Later on that day the consultant visited me and explained that the only route they could go down next to fully ensure the bubble was occluded would be to also insert a stent. I can honestly say that I didn't think twice about going under again. Walking around with a potential time bomb just wasn't an option!!

I was discharged the following day and booked in again for 2 weeks later. I can happily say that this time it was a success!!

Aside from the daily aspirin to stop the blood thickening, Iam on no medication and the last two scans have shown that everything is still where it should be!!

I do sometimes wonder if having 3 operations in such a short space of time has had an adverse effect on my recovery as I still suffer terribly with fatigue and have recently begun to have vice-like pains in the area, but this is something I must discuss with my consultant. I don't believe it has anything to do with having both coils and a stent fitted.

As with all GA operations there is a risk, but in my case I felt it was more important not to have the knowledge that I had a life-threatening weakness that I could've done something about.

I hope this has helped you and if you have any further questions please let me know.

Wishing you all the best.

Love & blessings

Georgina

Thankyou Jen and particularly Georgina for your replies!

I also feel that there is no real choice as I can not bear the 'damacles sword' syndrome waiting for the possibility of a further rupture but the Consultants were very matter of fact & I did not really gather my wits to ask questions! Do you cope with work ok? I know we are all different but I have severe confidence issues and have found it difficult to continue in my previous job, no longer believing in my own leadership and questioning my ability continually? This may be a result of the SAH but could also just be the recovery but two years on & it is becoming increasingly overwhelming, in fact it may have contributed to my relationship breaking down (26 years of marriage going down the pan!)

So the positive of having a stent inserted is balanced by the worry of further mental or even physical disturbance? I appreciate no-one can guarantee no ill effects but I need to know all scenarios - or is this just me over reacting and being pessimistic?

I was made redundant in March & following a 'blackout & siezure' in Feb (unexplained) I have had to surrender my driving licence but my consultant is very confident this was unrelated to my SAH so I am able to apply to DVLA to drive again. However all this makes job applications & interviews (when I can get them!) very tricky - all adding to my despondency and frustration!

I am rambling as I feel I have no-one to talk properly to - the family just want to move on & think I am 'over' it so I feel guilty mentioning it also it upsets my parents. My GP offerred counselling but it never materialised. Sorry I will stop now......thanks if anyone is reading/listening xx

hi quine

i think its smack your bum time lol frustration can drive you in the wrong direction and pull you down just as it has affected me ive had over 16 months of negitiveity and i got angry instead of going down and it worked for me i will pm you see if i can help take care and get angry not down

Aw quine, I'm sorry you are feeling low :( I saw my neuropsychologist today and one of the things she asked me when I mentioned not wanting to seem a burden/invalid etc, was, did I fear my partner would leave? I said I have no idea, but she said it happens a lot :( It didn't sound so depressing when she said it, but I guess it might help to know you are not alone in your break up....

I would urge you to ask again for the counselling: it is really helping me even though I didn't feel I needed it. It is really easy for people around us to think we are all better so what's the problem? We know however that it's not as simple as that, I don't think even GPs know really.

As for getting back to work, are you signing on? I was contacted by the Pathways to Work team at my Job Centre and the lady I spoke to was very helpful - she mentioned the Shaw Trust are working with them and they help disabled people get into work. You might not be "disabled" as per the perceived idea of a disability but you aren't fully over it are you? Anyway, ask them if they can help.

Take care !

Hi Jane,

I have a neck left on my aneurysm that may or may not need future surgery, also a bulge in a blood vessel on the other side of my brain that may or may not turn into an aneurysm. I can't help with the stent procedure, but would definitely have the surgery if needed, as for me personally, it's bad enough just knowing that there is a possibility of having a third bleed and mentally, that is something that's hard to deal with, as it's always on your mind.

When I was first told that they hadn't been able to coil the neck, I was pretty upset and it took a while to come to terms with. A few months ago I discovered by accident, that I had another bulge in an artery and again, it felt as though all of those walls that I had built up, were knocked back down again and I felt pretty vulnerable and fragile for a while.

I think that there are many of us here, that question our lives after something so life changing, both physically and mentally, I would say that it's probably a pretty normal process to experience, but yes, from what I've seen and experienced, it can be tough on a marriage dealing with the issues and the fall out that a SAH can leave behind.

I have always felt that the mental issues are tougher to deal with than the physical problems and even though life has improved considerably for me, it's something that I still have to work on and keep myself in check. However, I'm nearly 5 years on, so most of these SAH issues are now integrated into my day to day life and I kind of see it as being normal for me .... (I'm sure none of that makes any sense!:wink:)

Jane, if you're feeling really down, then you must go back to your GP and push for some counselling.

Wishing you the very best ....xx

Hi Quine

As with alot of people, I went back to work with my partner after 5/6 months, however, I know now that was far too soon. Subsequently, I have not worked properly since, although I am now looking for something part-time.

I would say that all my relationships have suffered following the SAH. I really don't know how my partner puts up with me!! If i was him I'd be very annoyed at me!!Lol. My relationship with my children has also changed - my patience is alot shorter than it used to be and I'm sure they look at me and think what a horrible mum I am!!

I had a couple of sessions with a neuro-psychologist, which I found very helpful and he also spoke to my partner about recovery times, expectations etc. I would thoroughly recommend seeking some form of counselling if you can. If nothing else its quite good to be able to talk about yourself for an hour!!

I am still not convinced I have fully accepted what happened to me but each day does get easier particularly when you adapt your life to what you can deal with at this stage!!

I do wish you well and am here if you need to chat

Lots of love

Georgina

xx

Hi, it is now just over two years since I had my SAH, in May 2008, recovery has been a rollercoaster but with the info from this site I have generally been reassured.

I have just returned today from seeing the Consultant (annual Outpatient visit) & he has informed me that although my coiling has not deteriorated significantly since last years visit there has been some settling leaving a 'neck' on the offending aneurism so they feel it best to consider having a 'stent' fitted to bypass the aneurism, thus eliminating the potential risk (albeit small) of it rupturing again. This it seems is mainly due to my age (48) and that the alternative is continued annual monitoring which could be for 40+ years which obviously is not sensible & leaves me living with the threat!

The stent apparently would mean further follow ups for 2 years & as long as no problems that would be the end of it.........? Seems like a good choice to me but is there anyone who has experienced this and can advise of the risks, reasons, recovery etc?

I am not really worried but it has caught me by surprise, apologies if it seems rambling :roll: grateful for any return posts :-P

Hi there,

I had my SAH last September (right opthalmic artery) because the coils kept falling out due to the wide neck of the aneurysm they put a stent in.

At my 6 month check after an mri I was told it appeared the aneurysm had 'reformed' coils had settled.

I had an angiogram to confirm this and my neurologist has recommended I have more coils put in as I am ony 45!! Apparently the longer you live, the higher the chance of another bleed. I am therefore awaiting a date to go in for my 'top up'

Lots of love and luck Steph x

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Thank you sooooo much for your replies!! I have appreciated all of them, thank you.

Still need to get into perpective just how much of my confidence issues are due to my current lifestyle changes or a result of my SAH.......either way I have to 'get a grip'!!!

Steph ~ you say you have had coils fitted, then a stent but STILL need coils? I understand that the stent would overide the aneurism and 'cure' the problem, I too would need to take aspirin thereafter.

With regards work I have now 'signed on' JSA to try to alleviate the financial pain a little but am applying for less demanding roles and also part time - just hope I can find something and realistic manage the drop in money? It is a challenging time to be out of work let alone with a medical history of a SAH but I have to say the JCP adviser was more understanding than I expected.

My application to DVLA has been returned & hopefully I will be able to drive again by the end of the week (which will also make working easier as I live in a village with limited bus service).

I have decided to follow advice & pursue some counselling, accepting that I do need help & am nor coping as I want to - always been told I am too independent lol!!

Again thanks to all for some very supportive, and sensible, help.