on "holiday" with headaches

Hi All,

Annie here. And hello to you, Sami. It's great to get a new friend in here. I've been on "holiday" (in quotes because in the states we call it "vacation"). Jack and I are touring the Colorado Rockie Mountains (stayed a week at Estes Park) and then 4 days in Taos New Mexico, and now we're in Santa Fe. My concern is two fold.

Although I've been doing really well, and as you all know, there's no coil for me. I still sufffer from fatigue and short term memory loss. My one year anniversary is coming up on October 23. The concern today is this... I have been suffering from bad fatigue and headaches during this trip! I haven't let on to Jack that I am concerned about this. But for some reason I can't help wondering if it's related to my SAH. I do wonder if the elevations of these locations has anything to do with this. We are at about 7000 ft. above sea level here. Have any of you heard anything about higher elevations being a risk for us?

Looking forward to hearing from you. Love,

Annie

Hi Annie

Nice to meet you. I only know from what I've read is that although we are safe to fly, the pressure from the air thinness might affect blood pressure and if you suffer from headaches when flying they could be worse. I have no idea whether its a threat. My Doc told me I was safe to fly after three months.

Sorry I can't be of any further help - maybe some one out there knows :?:

Hi Annie,

It's lovely to hear from you......your holiday sounds great! Just hope that you are feeling a little better.

It sounds as though you could be experiencing some Altitude Sickness? I just hope that if you continue to suffer with the bad heads that you will get yourself checked out?

Love Karen x

Here's an extract that I've just copied and pasted from another website, but not sure whether it's going to be of any help:-

Altitude sickness is becoming a common problem as an increasing number of people are travelling further and going on activity holidays.

Lack of oxygen

The body's muscles and organs need an adequate supply of oxygen to function properly. As altitude increases, so the oxygen concentration in the air decreases. Altitude sickness occurs when the air we breathe in doesn't contain enough oxygen, which leaves the body short of its requirements.

It's well known that mountaineers may be affected by altitude sickness, but anyone at high altitudes can experience the symptoms. For example, people who fly to high-altitude destinations and go on walking and trekking trips.

Symptoms

Mild: tiredness, nausea, unsteadiness or headaches.

Severe: fits, cough with frothy sputum, difficulty in walking, confusion or coma.

Recognising the signs

How severely someone is affected by altitude sickness depends on how high they go and how quickly they ascend. It's unusual for altitude sickness to occur below 2,400m (8,000ft). When altitude sickness occurs because the body is not getting enough oxygen, tiredness, headache, nausea and unsteadiness may follow.

For most people these symptoms start after about six hours of being at high altitude. As long as the person remains at the same altitude, the symptoms will usually disappear within one or two days.

Severe cases

Vomiting, chest pains and shortness of breath are signs that someone is affected more severely. These symptoms may take a day or two to appear. Coughing up frothy sputum is a sign that fluid is collecting in the lungs, while clumsiness and difficulty walking can occur if the brain swells.

If severe cases of altitude sickness aren't treated, fits, confusion and a coma may follow.

Overcoming the problem

It's important to be sensible and not to ignore altitude sickness. If symptoms are mild then rest, fluids, a light diet and painkillers will enable the body to acclimatise. No further ascent should be attempted until all the symptoms have disappeared.

Descending to a lower altitude is often necessary when symptoms are more severe. If this fails to resolve symptoms then hospital treatment is needed, where any swelling of the brain will be treated with oxygen, rest and drugs.

Most people who are treated correctly for altitude sickness make a full recovery - usually within a few days. But, when it's the condition is more severe, treatment over a longer period may be necessary.

Avoiding problems

Problems with altitude sickness can usually be avoided if care is taken to prepare properly. Climbers, in particular, are all too aware of the importance of:

good physical fitness

staged ascents that allow time to acclimatise

drinking plenty of liquid

being aware of the possibility and the symptoms of altitude sickness

not ignoring symptoms of altitude sickness if they occur.

Anyone travelling to higher altitudes than they're used to should remember this advice.

This article was last medically reviewed by Dr Rob Hicks in December 2005.

Good morning, friends. Thanks for your input. I've never had a problem with altitude sickness before, but maybe this is one of the little changes I can expect due to my SAH. It seems that I'm more sensitive to it now than I used to be. I made a trip into the Alps a few years ago, and while my sister got sick, I was not affected at all. I think you probably are right though, Karen. I have been resting plenty, but I will drink more water. Aspirin did NOTHING for me, but Motrin seemed to help yesterday. So I'll keep on with that. This is not so debilitating as to ruin our enjoyment of the trip though. We are having a great time. It's sooooo nice to have this site to go to when concerned. Thank you both so much for your responses. Welcome, Sami! Love you, Karen! xoxoxo,

Annie

Hi Annie,

So Glad that you are still able to enjoy your holiday...Isn't technology wonderful that you can communcate on your holidays! Talking of new technology have you bought that digital camera yet??? :lol: ......would love to have seen some photos of where you've visited...as it sounds fantastic! I'm so envious....

My head is definetly more sensitive to pressure changes now......even travelling by car, up and down the hilly roads of Dorset, I keep having to pop my ears every few seconds or my head feels like a pressure cooker. I hate to think what I would be like on a plane now.....I always suffered with my ears before the SAH, but it's a lot worse since.....any travelling that I do in the future will have to be by boat or train!

Anyway, glad that you are resting up and have found something to take away the pain. Happy holiday and lots of love to you too!

Take good care of yourself,

Love Karen x :D

Hi Karen and Sami,

I am feeling so much better now!!! I really drank a ton of water and it seemed to help. Also, Karen, if it will help your ears popping... there's a great product called Simply Saline. It's a saline nasal spray that really helps clear and comfort my sinuses. Maybe it can help you too. Hope so.

Love to my brain gang,

Annie

Hi Annie

Glad you are feeling better. I've found that the 2 to 3 litres of water a day thing helps a lot not only with my headaches but my general mood. I've had four good days on the bounce now and don't feel anxious about the weekend like I normally do.

All the love right back at ya baby!!! :wink:

Sami xxxx