Double vision

Guest 6shooter

Guest 6shooter

Did anyone on here have diplopia after their bleed? What gaze fields did you have it in? Did you treat it or the doctor fix it? Did it get better or worse or go away and how long did that take?

I got it in all gaze fields right now and straight on, gets worse to the left and right and at a distance and my eyeballs are hurt'n.

Seein' two's in texas,

6shooter

I had double vision in all fields to start with. Nearly 2 years on, I still can't look up or look sharply to the left......as it's painful. Had a third nerve palsy to my right eye, so it's left this eye slightly lower than the left. Things have improved and I only tend to get a bit of double vision at night time or when my eyes get tired. The pain through my bad eye, could be quite excruciating sometimes and when I got like this I used to patch it off.....which seemed to help. Your Doctor should be able to give you some medication for this type of nerve pain.

It does keep improving with time, but I've probably peaked with my sight recovery at this stage. I was give the 6 month rule at first and basicially the maximum amount of eye recovery is in the first 3 - 6 months and then recovery tends to be slower.

Diplopia can be treated with glasses that are fitted with prisms. Eye patches can be used. You need to see an Optometrist. My Optometrist gave me some prism tape that I can also use for my sunglasses.

I also used to use an eye lubricant (prescribed by the Doctor) and normal eye drops to help keep the eyes clean and moist .... it seems to help when the eyes get painful and stops them from drying out.

Guest 6shooter

Howdy,

I'm real glad to hear you got some improvement out of it, makes me feel more optimistic about it all, you know what I mean jelly bean. I understand your eye pain 100% and I'm real sorry for it. It got bad last week and almost sent me truck'n back to the hospital last week because I thought I was bleeding again. I had originally bled out in the frontal part of my head when I got this. I got the double vision in all gaze fields too, can't remember if I got a III nerve or VI nerve palsy, whichever one it sure is downright irritating. Only pain medication I got was the regular narcotics and they can't touch that eye pain. I saw a eye doctor last week and I'll see him again next week. He said first we wait a few months, then he's got prisms, tapes, expensive as heck glasses, surgery, and some other stuff up his sleeve. He's got me patched and says if I don't wear it my brain will blind me in the bad eye. True? I figure the six month rule applies hereabouts. I wanted to be working in six months, dammit. My line of work requires two eyeballs. He has me wearing the pirate patch LOL.

Aye Aye,

6shooter

Hi,

Yes, the eye pain can be a pretty scarey reminder when it gets bad.....my SAH kicked off with pain around the eye... I had a III nerve palsy.

Never heard of the brain blinding you in one eye, if you don't wear the patch! They had me in glasses with one lens taped off at two weeks post SAH. I was told to use the bad eye as much as possible, rather than keep it patched all of the time, as the eye muscles become weak. At first, it's too damned uncomfortable not to wear the eye patch or glasses, but as your eyesight improves over the weeks, you can very gradually cut down the amount that you wear it.

In the UK, we don't have to pay for private treatment.....we sometimes moan like hell at our health service over here, but listening to you guys in the States and the bills that you have to pay, then I consider myself to be lucky.

You're actually doing pretty good with using a computer.....I couldn't read the screen for quite a few months ....

Well, keep your spirits up and get plenty of rest...... :)

• 1 month later...
Guest 6shooter

Howdy Boss, I just wanted to tell you its been almost 3 months since I got injured and the straight on gaze has improved a lot and I've found a lot of relief in that. I still see double to the right and left, and up I think, but not down. I think it gets worse when I am tired, I guess the muscles and nerves that move the eye around get worn out too, but its been a lot more manageable since I got my normal gaze back. I never fully realized how precious our vision is until it went shitty on me, but its getting better and I guess I feel better since I'm not the only one wheeling and dealing with it.

Hey there

I didnt have double vision but my optic neirve was very badly damaged, and now I am very light senstive, flashing lights cause hell for me there's a trailer for a TV programme Grace Annatomy I think it flashes so much I have to not only shut my eyes but turn away too....

bye just now

Louise.xx

Hi 6shooter,

The medics gave me the normal 6 month rule with my eyesight .... but it's improved throughout the two years .... it does get less painful and the eye muscles also improve. My eyesight is nowhere near normal, but I can get by......still get a bit of double vision and my eyesight strains easily, especially close up, but my brain is making the adjustments to go with it......but considering the mess that it was in, it's one hell of an improvement..... so glad to hear that you're improving too.... don't give up, as things will get better and as I can remember, you're only a youngster which will also help your recovery..... :)

Like Louise, I also am sensitive to light......but I was before the SAH, it's just more exagerrated now.....can't stand looking at flash photography though...

Can't believe that you're nearly 3 months in......how's everything else?

Take care and keep well....

• 2 weeks later...

Wierdly, I had my attach of (severe) double vision about 18 months before the SAH; it was investigated as a possible brain tumour but allthe tests turned out negative (now, I wonder....). As a result it was treated as a "cluster migraine" and 'cured" with this new wonder drug, Maxalt. It took about 4 weeks for all symptoms to pass. I never had any recurrence. Joanxx