Food for thought

Guest jennybee

Guest jennybee

Dear All,

I was wondering how people felt about food after having a SAH. My mum isn't wanting any 'solids' (and hasn't had any for 12 days) but she clearly needs some good healthy food in her to help build her up again. She's having yoghurts and those 'build-up' drinks but she hates hospital food (salty soup) etc. Any tips on what I could bring in to tempt her and if you've been in hospital, how did you reintroduce 'normal' food in to your diet? Thanks, Jenny.

Hi there

I know that a lot of people's taste changed after this.

I used to loath hospital food but found the problem was - I wasnt able to fill in the menu so the nurses did it for me, they just put what they liked so I used to hate it.

Ronnie used to bring me in soup in a flask I took a liking for Weightwatchers Chicken noodle, I found Weightwatchers the best one espesically if your thinking salt or lack there of.

Maybe ask what she'd really fancy......

Take care

Louise.xx

Jenny, there was a lot of food that I went off ...especially milky stuff....I still don't like too much milk in hot drinks and tea, I tend to drink virtually black tea and also discovered Green tea, which I love.

When I first came out of hospital, I had a craving for loads of veggies and salad stuff.... I particularly liked pasta salads... I used to also drink plenty of fruit juices.... my appetite was small for quite a few months after the SAH. It seems that a lot of people on the site lost about a stone in weight ..... however, I've managed to put it all back on and some more. :roll:

Guest Firefly

Buy her some of the shakes with all the vitamins in them, they also have vitamin water. My taste has changed greatly and I didn't eat much and still have to force myself to eat now. I love fruits, can you make her some fruit frosties?? I also love salads again. But, I mostly live on water, coffee, ice cream, crackers, great grains cerial with pecans... It will take her a while, I still don't have much appitite and ususall go with something bland?? But, I do like pizza again now!! :P

Blueberries and dark fruits and veggies are suppost to be the best for you. I suppliment protien by eating sunflower seeds on my ice cream & in my cerial & on salads. Still having meat issues, unless it is deer meat. Does she like icecream or Sherbert? You can make shakes that have fresh fruits in them if she likes them?

Sometimes you have to get creative, do you have a juicer?? Will she eat regular soups?? My sis & hubby bought me everything under the sun trying to get me to eat in the begining!! They still are on me bad about the lack of food I eat, can't tell by my big BUTT :P I love fresh fruit salad with whip cream on it!! I hope she starts craving things soon! After got home from the hosp. all of a sudden I got hungry for the little brown and serve sausages for some reason???? I ate them for months when I did finally get an appitite?? She might pick 2 or 4 things that she likes and eat it for a long time??

I hope this helps?? Take care hun and I will be keeping you in my prayers! Love Tricia

Guest jennybee

Ooo useful stuff. Mum is def. wanting fruit and yoghurt things at the moment so I think all those suggestions are going to be great for her. Soft and plain food seems to be the order of the day, so I'm going to get planning!

Hi Jenny I also went of lots of things, although loved hospital food.

I now really hate processed things like tinned soup never noticed before. But loved homemade parsnip soup, broth etc.

Aine xox

I also went off and rarely drink coffee, good while be I touched alcohol and now just a small glass maybe 2 of wine. :D