Angiogram

Hi all,

Went for my appointment to see my G.P. today, he's put me back on b.p. medication. I did think that would happen, but I do feel "glum" about it never the less. :cry:

I'm also waiting for an appointment for another Angiogram. Consultant 'phoned me this week and said I would get another appointment soon, perhaps next month.

Now, this makes me laugh a wee bit to myself, because as I was "out of it" when I had all of this done after my SAH, I didn't know what was happening to me, but..........now !!!! :shock: that I am aware of what had happened, I'm getting worried about this angio!!!!!! I want you all to console me now ha! Bless you all, ignorance is bliss, eh? :wink: xxx

I had my Angio a few weeks ago, I was being screened for aneurysms because my mum had a SAH in May.

I was aboslutely terrified and it didn't go to plan, but it really wasn't that bad. At least it's not an MRI.

Have a look for my post on it if you want and you'll see how mine went. I can't remember what I called it.

But bear in mind my radiologist was quite incompetant. Maybe it was her time of the month :?

It will be fine, look forward to it as another milestone in your road of recovery. :wink:

Thanks Claire for your reply,

I have been looking through a lot of the things on the site, again perhaps what I mentioned earlier comes to mind "Ignorance is bliss!.

Och! I guess it has to be done and that's it, eh? I'll be brave, gulp! Na! I will, but you just don't want to do it, do you? Gosh! hee! I sound a right baby, ha! Och! I'm going out for my dinner with my chums tonight so I'll be cheered up in no time, grand. Thank you for your reply, I think it helps to let your feelings out, and I think this site is fab.

"It's okay to MOAN"

Bless you all, xxxx :D

Holly, you're not alone in being scared of an angio! When I had my first check up angio I'd had at least three but that was my first "remembered" one. Was I scared? You bet and everyone else on the ward who was having an angio was scared, well apart from one woman who was having to have them on a six monthly basis for some reason. Upshot of it all was that it was nothing to be worried about, apart from the freezing cold room in which it was done! The hardest part of the day was laying down for the few hours after the procedure.

I know that nothing anyone can say will ease the worry, but come back and tell us about it after you've had it done.

Scott

Oh ok, I got mixed up for some reason I thought you were having the same as me. I had a CT Head Angio which is different from a run of te mill angio. The dye goes into the arm instead no inscisions or laying down afterwards. Sorry!

Although a proper Angio is far more complicated, it will be fine. You've survived an SAH which is a miracle in itself, you will have no problems with the angio.

You'll walk it. :wink: And it's a means to an end. Had my mum been looked after properly after her first "warning bleed" she would never have suffered her SAH. Think of all the people walking around completely unaware of the danger they're in. You must find reassurance in the fact that you will know exactly what your naughty little arteries are up to :)

I too have an angio scheduled right away. OCT 3. And I dread it. Last time they had to choke me to get the anuerysim to fill on the picture and it was terrible. My doc gave me a perscription for a sedative. He said lots of people take this one for tests like MRI if they are clausterphobic, etc.

Good luck.

Linda

My neurologist has told me that there is an updated MRI scan which can be used in stead of an angio, which he said does carry a slight risk of stroke. Am seriously considering this as an alternative although we would have to pay for it, because having dodged several medical "bullets" in the past two years I am feeling completely risk-averse. I don't want any risk of stroke, frankly. Does anyone know about this alternative procedure, and is it as accurate as an angio? I'd be really grateful for any info/guidance...

Joan

Hi Joan

Whilst the catheter angiogram remains the "gold standard" for imaging of the blood vessels, advances in medical imaging technology mean that MR and CT scanning are being used more and more. I have only had one follow-up catheter angiogram, and my last scan was MRA - completely non invasive, and I didn't even have the contrast injection.

Not sure what this new type of scan is that you mention, but there's some good info on MRA here: http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?PG=angiomr

Regards

Keith

Have asked for the neurologist to clarify what it was he did mean, then I will try and see if I can get it done on the NHS (in our area of London, you apparently can get b*gger all done on the NHS) and if not will pay for it myself.

Vivien, I was coiled, not clipped; have next to no information on what actually is in my head due to outstanding communication skills on my side and theirs (there is something about being faced with yet another 12 year old doctor who has set eyes on you for the first time while reading through your notes [cursorily] to make you lose the will to fight on....)

Joanxx

Spoke with the hospital today and told them I did not want an angio but an MRI and they have agreed to this, to my relief. Eerie thisis going on with the re-emergence of the worst headaches I have had since my SAH, now nearly a year ago....

Joan