Alcohol a new relationship

I know that this particular part of the forum is supposed to be for personal relationships but......

I know I have had to relearn lots of things post SAH and one of the major things is drinking. Social drinking used to be important to me, a pint after work or after football maybe on a Sunday lunchtime. Now after one bad experience I don't drink socially anymore. I might have a glass of wine at home but in company I don't feel I can trust my reactions any more. One pint or even one glass of wine now is worth at least six to eight prior to my SAH. Not only that my reaction to alchol is totally different, I used to be a boring drunk talk for my country on any subject I knew nothing about! Now it makes me feel on edge not relaxed at all, so as I said I've given up on drink!

Everyone is different, but as a post on a different thread mentioned some of us are the same!

Scott

Hi Scott,

Whenever Heather has a drink her inhibitions drop and her higher exec skills disappear. I widh she didnt drink at the moment because she seems to be a year behind when she does. Her memory falls to pieces and on the odd occasion she becomes a danger to herself.

We were told by one of the rehab that Heather is roughly 5 pints ahead us even before she has a drink. We also told that for every 1 drink I drink it is equal to 5 for Heather.

Sad sorry **** state of affairs!!

If you know the word namaste'

NAMASTE

hm, interesting.

My SO used to drink a couple of beer and maybe some wine when we had guests--before SAH --and now he has had enough after one beer most of the times. So I guess one beer to him now is like 2or 3 beers before SAH.

Well thats interesting because I have been drinking twice since my SAH in July. The first time was when my friend visited around September/October (she lives in England) and not too much was drunk and only lager. This was fine and I didn't zone out. This last episode was only last week and I was apparently drinking wine, which I love and it was devastating. Had I not been in the company of my Son and been left to get home under my own steam well I just shudder to think where I would/could have ended up. My advice to myself and others is when you go out make sure you are with someone responsible and make sure they get you home safe. It's going to be a long time before I touch alcohol again...........well may have a lager at Christmas but looks like wine is off the menu. Pre SAH my limit was 2 or 3 V+C's and about 4 halfs of lager then time for taxi and home. Daren't even try Vodka :shock: Of course my Son said there is an upside though................cheap night out :D

Mollie xxx:D

well I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets drunk on one drink! since my SAH it only takes a few glasses of wine and I'm drunk, Good for the hubby though cheap date!!

• 4 months later...
Guest chelseagirl2

Hi there

I just want to ask, has anyone else had an epesode where they have had a drink, probably to much and has no recolection of a large part of their evening. And I mean absolutly no memory? Sorry Ive just read back thru the previous posts, so I know that some of you have. Ive just had an experience where I dont know what happened, I thought I was fine but I seemed to have a lot to drink and was out without my usual "support" and I dont know what happened. I was with no friends, family and I dont know what happened. Ive lost about 3hours, and Ive tried my hardest to remember, Im not in the best state of mind at the best of times at the min and Ive not told anyone. Please dont judge me this is not how I am, Im so confussed. I will be to embaressed to even look at you replys tomorow, but I had to tell someone, its really frightened me.

Kirsty

Hi Kirsty,

Don't be embarrassed! :) Think that most of us find that alcohol affects us a lot more than it used to and as you can see from these MB's, some can't drink at all, some have to pretty much limit their intake and others seem to be okay, but may be can't drink quite as much as they once used to. Are you on any meds since the SAH?

I started a post on the SAH forum as I was worried that it was just me who was a lightweight. I am lucky if I have 1 wine max 2 or definitely only 1 cider. I'm not a lager or spirit drinker anyway. I miss having a drink if i'm in a pub and take flack from friends about being a lightweight and cheap date etc. On good days I laugh it off but if having a bad day I find it hard :evil:

I'm not so bad in the house because at least I know I can go to bed or that Simon understands at least that I can't drink as much. He asked me if I want another but doesn't push it and certainly just doesn't fill my glass up like what seems to happen in the pub.

Laura

xx