dental treatment/antibiotics.

Guest pam

After some dental problems I have to have two teeth out next week.

A Friend mentioned to me that it probably would be a good idea to be on antibiotic cover due to the anueryms (have had three coiled but have another four tiny ones untreated but being monitored). Does anyone have any info on the need for antibiotics before dental treatment for brain aneurysm patients. Apart from high BP which is successfully treated and the aneurysms I dont have any other health issues.

pam

Pam,

Unfotunately I can't help you th the antibiotic cover. I'm in a similar position, I know I need at least one tooth out but am scared to go to the dentist because I don't think I will be able to cope with the noise. Is anybody else the same? Has anybody anyadvice on the drilling etc?

Laura

Hi Laura/Pam

Sorry Pam I also can't advise with regard to antibiotics maybe speak to your dentist if you can.

Laura I put off having any type of treatment for months with having a craniotomy my jaw was saw and my mouth wouldn't open properly for ages. Finally had my first filling September last year and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

My head was a little bit sore for a couple of days after but not much worse than usual.

Janet x

Hi Pam,

You need to definetly check this out with your Doc and the Dentist ...... the link below is saying that it's safe to have dental work carried out after a SAH, but doesn't mention anything about untreated aneurysms.

http://www.srht.nhs.uk/patient--visitor ... rhage/faq/

I've also read similar to what your friend has said.....I believe that one of our American members was given antibiotics after dental work.....I'll try to scout through her posts later and see if I can find it. I've just done a quick search but most of the stuff is medical papers, but there does look as though there could be a risk, with bacteria through orthodontic treatment and as you have untreated annies, then I would definetly find out if the bacteria could pose a threat.

Good luck and when I've got 5 minutes I'll see if iI can find the relevant posts and put a link in.

Dental work with a shunt used to be covered by antibiotics pre and post treatment, that advice has changed. Now I don't need to have any different treatment because of my shunt. I can't see what good they would be for untreated annies either to be honest.

Scott

Scott, from what I can see..... it's the bacteria that can cause a problem from dental work ....and therefore, any bacteria in the blood stream isn't a good thing....so Pam needs to get herself checked out....don't forget that she has unruptured annies and that's the main problem....

Hi thanks for your help and advice. I am just back from the dentist, having had two teeth out. I asked the dentist and he said I should have antibiotics as there was some evidence of infection, he said perhaps we are being cautious, but he felt happier me having them. I did ask my doctor yesterday and he was non committal, he said it depended on what treatment I was having etc etc, and to check with the dentist which is what I did.

bye for now

pam