MRI Scanners and visit to Dental Hospital

Guest pam

Well, I am not sure if I am posting this in the right section or not but really had to share this.

I was referred to the Dental Hospital by my Dentist for advice on a few things.

When I arrived they told me they wanted an Xray done, so off I went to the X ray department and when I got back to the Consultant he started discussing the xray and in a very matter of fact way said "oh and you have a piece of a Dental Instrument lodged behind the gum near the top of the mouth! I nearly fell off the seat with shock!. He then went on to query the problems with the facial nerve I had had in the past (Bells Palsy etc). I really couldnt believe what he was saying about the dental instrument and asked if it couldnt be a dressing left in (from root canal work) or even some filling, he said no it is part of a dental instrument. I forgot to ask what kind of instrument. Then he told me that it could have been there for years. Then I brought up the fact I had had plenty of MRI scans for my brain aneurysms and it was brought up that the magnets in the MRI scan could have caused the instrument to move resulting in the inflamation and problems I have been having , When I have had the MRI Scans I have always felt a pull near my mouth but at the time just never thought too much about it, just focused on getting the MRI over.

Every time I asked about this dental instrument I was quickly moved on to discuss other things and told it wouldnt bother me now. I think the Dental Consultant thinks my treatment is done and that is that, dont think he realises I have to have check up MRA's. Anyway I am going to wait until I get a copy of the letter from him that he is sending to my dentist and doctor, then I think I will contact my neuroradiology dept and tell them and ask their advice. I dont know if they will recommend it be removed (apparently if hadnt had the MRI's it would have caused no probs and not moved) or whether they would be able to cover the area during the scan, not too sure.

Anyway sorry for rambling on but just had to share this.

This type of thing could only happen to me.

Pam

Hey Pam

My god couldnt believe it when I was reading your post! its no wonder you nearly fell off the seat in shock.

You say every time you asked he moved on quickly, I'll bet he did, someone has done a big boob :roll:

Maybe you could contact the Dentist - Nuro Dept just now before the letters arrive to ask their advice about it, then probably by the time you get an appointment to see them you'll have the letter.

Lets know how things go and try not to worry too much about it but you are doing the right thing getting intouch with your dentist, doctor, & nuro......

Take care, hugs

Louise.xxx

Thanks folks for your replies and for listening to me. Yes I am going to try and get it sorted out soon, going to have a word with my GP next week. I will let you know the outcome, having nightmares about this instrument moving during the MRI scans.

hugs to you all

pam

Hi Pam

Gosh you've been in the wars! It sounds like the same thing that happened to me about 5 years ago. After root canal work I developed the most awful pain in my jaw and it just wouldn't go away. After x-ray it transpired that a piece of the drill had broken off in the bottom of the root canal. It gets even better: it cost ME £200 to get a dental surgeon to remove it! :roll:

Think you must insist though that they remove whatever it is. After all it might be that and not Bells Palsy that was/is effecting your face. They certainly watch each others backs don't they!

Hope you get it sorted out Pam. If there is one thing we've all learned on here: if at first you don't succeed with doctors/dentists etc: SHOUT.

Big hug

Lesley xxx

Thanks Laura and Lesley for your Support.

Lesley, well reading your reply made me realise I am not the only one!.

Although they havent told me what it is I have a feeling it is a bit of a drill. How did they remove it for you? I am not looking forward to that bit, but think I am going to have to insist on it, the Dental Consultant doesnt seem to realise that I have check ups by MRI, I think he is under the impression, I have had the neurosurgery and thats it, but is not the case. I have also had a lot of problem with facial pain etc which my doctor and neuro etc cant find out why, but now perhaps this is the reason even though the Dental Consultant says it wont harm me!!!.

Lesley How did you end up having to pay the surgeon to remove it. Did you have a private dentist? I have an NHS Dentist and was hoping if I can explain to them why I think it needs to come out well then they would do it on the NHS

athough I suppose if it falls into the third band of dentistry charges on the NHS then I wont get much change of of £200.

Any advice you can give me I would be very grateful for, either here, or at my email - ****@aol.com

Many thanks

pam

Hi Pam

Just having a quick check of the site before going for a hot bath. We've been out in the sunshine all afternoon and found a lovely walk by a waterfall and stream up in the hills.

My dentist was a NHS dentist but couldn't find out what was causing so much pain. He gave me the name of a dental surgeon and off I went for a very expensive consultation: £100. Anyway he found the broken off part of a very thin drill bit right at the bottom of the latest root canal work I'd had (complete with brand new crown on top). He then charged me another £200 to extract it as I had a proper dental operation if you will. I was in there about an hour whilst he had to take out the filling in the root canal and extract the thin piece of metal right at the bottom. He then put in a temporary filling and I then had to go back a week later whilst he satisfied himself there was no infection and he replaced everything. No problems since. (Paul just reminded me it was £300 'cos he remembers that was a lot of money at the time).

I didn't claim from my old dentist as he was about to retire and to be quite frank had been a marvellous dentist up to that point: so I put it down to human error and let it go.

Can you remember what dental work you had completed prior to the problem with your gum/roof of your mouth and the commencement of the Bells Palsy? It sounds to me as if it just might be the end of an anaesthetic needle perhaps? That would be deeply embedded wouldn't it.

Hope you get to the bottom of it - if you'll pardon the pun.

Big hugs

Lesley xxx

Lesley, thanks so much for your reply, it does help me to know that someone else has gone through this too.

Yes I too am not that interested in making any claims against Dentists, etc, I just want the problem resolved.

As for pinpointing when it happened that would be difficult, as I have had teeth capped, and re capped over the years, both before and after the Bells Palsy, I have also had one lot of root canal work done and have changed Dentists three times (due to moving house to different areas) in the 18 years since my first tooth was capped before the Bells Palsy.

Today I decided to start looking into it all. I rang the Dental Hospital and asked to speak to the Secretary of the Consultant I saw, only to find out I didnt see this Consultant but someone else (he didnt even bother introducing himself when I saw him so I assumed I was seeing who was on my appointment letter). When I eventually got through to the right Secretary, she told me that the letter was typed up and had been waiting for signature since the 24th April. I told her what my problem was and that I would very much like the Dentist to:1., Elaborate a bit more so that I knew what the instrument was, and how big it was, then with that information I could ask my neuroradiographer it it would cause a problem with my MRI Scans and also tell my Doctor re the problems with my nerve. She looked through the letter waiting for signature and said well he hasnt even mentioned it in the letter.!. All she could suggest is that she puts a note on the letter asking him to ring me, something tells me this wont be done.

So now I am a bit stuck as to what to do next, may ring my GP see if he can help.

I am so pleased you had a nice day on Saturday, Sunday was a better day here, hubby and I went out for a nice walk along part of the northumberland coast, it was so picteresque, and it did me the world of good.

Bye for now

pam

• 2 weeks later...
Guest pam

Hi Lesley

Well an update. After the Consultants secretary told me he hadnt even mentioned it in his letter which had been typed on the 24th April and was waiting for signature. I decided to write to him, I wrote a nice letter asking him to elaborate further re the dental instrument. (couldnt believe he would produce a dental report without even mentioning it). Today i finally received the dental letter/report dated 24th April, and it does mention the dental instrument - the letter says. "Periapical X rays confirmed that 11 had been root canal treated and what appears like a seperate instument inside the canal space of this tooth." It does not say what kind of instrument, however, I do feel a bit better about it. I have only ever had one lot of root canal treatment so I know when it happened and I have had a lot of MRI scans since then and it looks as if they havent significantly moved it. I am going to be asking some more questions but I am happy at this stage its been acknowledged and put in writing, I just opened the letter tonight, so going to look up on the internet a lot of the medical meanings for things" in case I have other questions too. I will let you know what happens..

Bye for now

Pam

Hi Pam

Um - sounds like a piece of the drill bit/head snapped off? Thats what happened to me, only it caused intense pain and an infection so had to go through the dental surgeon rigmarole (as related above). For root canal work they are incredible thin pieces of metal.

The word instrument is weird in itself - a root canal is a very small/tiny/slim space - surely it could only be a drill bit?

It couldn't really be anything else apart from the end of an anaethetic needle.

Go for it - try to get to the bottom of it. If it gave you symptoms of Bells Palsy it needs sorting out.

Wishing you luck...

Big hugs

Lesley xxx

Hi Lesley

I recontacted the Consultant re this instrument thing, he is recomending my dentists removes it via the root canal. Just thought I would keep you updated. As I have to have some other unrelated treatment done at the dentists I am hoping it all falls into the same price band. Will let you know

bye for now

pam