Perimesencephlic SAH

My husband suffered a SAH 20th September whilst we were on holiday in Cyprus which was very scary he was hospitalised for over 2weeks before we were able to fly home.  We run our own business which is proving hard for my husband.  He has only been in 2hours a day at present and finds it very tiring.  He gets very fatigued and although we have seen a private neurologist on our return who did another MRI and told us everything was okay we really worry about the future.

This week he was taken back into hospital due to his blood pressure being high (he’s had high bp for 28 years which he has been on medication for) and he saw a cardiologist but we feel this was due to anxiety due to the bleed on the brain.  I his wife feel very anxious myself at present worrying about him constantly.  We have a holiday to Barbados booked for next May but I am worried about going and really want to cancel it and perhaps just stay in Europe.  It was his 60th birthday treat.  

I would like anyone’s feelings on any of the points I have mentioned as we have always had a very active social and work life and never thought anything of doing anything but at present I worry about him 

Hi TJR,

When I had my SAH in 2009 I was so scared then had a shunt  put in head for Hydrocephalus and I woke up.  I  found this site via my Daughter and it has been a help to both of us !! x

Ask Hubby if he feels strong enough to go on Hols and let him choose, as you could always go in a Hotel in UK for his 60th and have a weekend away ??  Not the same but it is a thought.

Keep hubs away from stress,  as me and hubby worked together and it is stressful running own business.

Keep him away from stressful people, (You know the type that tell you doom and gloom stories )  xx 

Keep bottles of water by him as it helps us. (3 Keeps there lol)

Take it slowly as it is a long process !!  So get your rest also !!  ..You take care and hope all goes well with you both and keep happy. (another keep for luck)

All the Best 

Winb143 Alias Win xx

Hi welcome to BTG glad you have found us. Must have been very stressful being in another country when your husband was taken ill. Glad to hear his latest MRI was clear, that must be a relief.

Regarding your holiday, May is a long way off and although he will still be in recovery at that point hopefully he will be up for the trip. I flew 3 months after my bleed, only to Europe, but since then have flown long haul. The only problems I get are extreme fatigue, so the first few days are usually spent resting.

You say you are a very socially active couple, I expect you will find this may change. Your husband may find it difficult being in noisy situations and participating in conversations with more than one person. My social life is definitely not as hectic, I have become a bit of a homebody.

He is still very early days but things will get better. Try not to stress too much, make sure he drinks plenty of water and doesn't go back to doing too much work too soon.

Keep us posted.

Clare xx

Thanks Clare how old were you when you had yours?  My hubby is 59 I’ve felt terrible myself today just thinking about what has happened but don’t want him to worry about me as well.  He is hoping to get better and more like his self far too soon which I have told him is unrealistic.  He thinks Christmas bearing in mind it’s only been 8 weeks this Wednesday.  Our business can get very stressful for him and my two sons work for us also who are trying to share the load

Hi, I had mine Feb 2015 with the complication of hydrocephalus so had an EVD and was unable to drive for 10 months.

He will start to feel like his old self and some people who have had a perimesencephalic bleed find they almost get back to normal. It varies from person to person but he needs to be realistic about his recovery. It's not like a broken bone - 6 weeks and off you go.

Try and make sure your sons take the  burden of the workload. I found work the hardest thing to get back to and in fact have changed my job twice since the bleed something I never dreamed of doing aftr spending 22 years in a job I loved. Things post bleed are often different and it is something that he needs to be aware of.

Hope you are coping, try not to worry too much about another bleed, they are very rare.

Clare xx

Archived