Three Months Afterwards

My name is Trel and I had a SAH about three months ago. Monday I developed a headache that has been lingering. Out of fear I went to the ER to rule out another bleed and the tests for it were negative. Today is Thursday and it’s still here. I’ve also had some stomach ache. Anyone have any similar experiences? Thanks! 

Hi Trel 

I was worried when I got pains and itches in my head.  I had a shunt put in and found scar around that area was giving me jip.

Bathed head is salt water and it eased it !! Go figure 

I also got the odd pains and I panicked, natural I guess as we had never planned for this.  Get past the fear and sing happy songs is my answer to all ills we get.

Stress can cause us trouble  so try not to stress xxx

Good luck and welcome to BTG and drink plenty of water xxx

Hi Trel

That cloak of invincibility we all used to wear got abruptly ripped from yours and all our shoulders when we had a brain bleed and that does have an impact on how we react to fears especially in the months immediately afterwards.

Every strange creak, ache, pain especially in the head region makes your thoughts race to the worse case scenario and I think I can honestly all say we understand how you feel.

Some thought# from me;

1 . Don’t ever worry about getting checked out . All the wonderful medics I met all agree on one thing. 2/3 of people don’t survive a bleed so they will always try to understand our fear and real pains and be happy to check things are ok up top. And if they are not and you meet an ignorant person then know they are just that. Ignorant.

2. Give yourself time. Both in the moment the worry and fear come and in your recovery. It won’t be rushed.. so  , sit with it, look at  , listen to or read something you enjoy and find peaceful and just wait and see what happens. Yes it’s uncomfortable, often things hard are but it will pass and next time you can recognise the odd feeling and say ‘ hello I know you’ and wait for them to pass through.

3. Keep track of how you Rest and sleep and what you do. Rest after every task,  eat regularly and drink water throughout the day. The temptation is to jump straight back in especially if you have no obvious physical defects. Imagine if it helps that your head is still wrapped in a bandage, there’s lots of healing happening and that takes masses of your brain energy. Dont run before you walk. Your headache may your red flag of too much too soon.

Take care, remember we understand and try not to judge as we have ‘been there got the shirt ‘! So don’t worry about asking. Nothings a stupid question in world post SAH 

• 1 month later...

I'm 5 months post SAH op with a 2mm untreated one. I think every little twinge makes us panicky, I've had a funny headache like my scalp is sore when in resting my head against a pillow. I have been trying to correct poor posture so putting it down to that, (I have a little anatomy knowledge). If it persists though over next couple of days I will seek reassurance. 

Archived