Testing?

Guest lilnan

I was not real sure where to post this.....But I have a question about the diagnoses. My mother had a brain aneurysm rupture 7 years ago, and Great Aunt had 1 rupture, and 1 annie unruptured (clipped) around 6 years ago. I have heard many people say they can be inherited. Since, I have developed severe migraines, just as my mother did in her 30's. The neorologists has peformed a CT and suggested that I have them every 2 years, beings it seems like they run in the family.. Well about 6 months ago it was 2 years and now the Doctor is saying that the determination of insurance and the hospital board that having one test is sufficent per patient. The doctor claimed that if I would have had one that I would have been born with it and that the tests are not needed. She gave me some story about that if I were to have one there would have been signs of that on the one I had 2 years ago and that is the only test I will need my entire lifetime, basically saying I am aneurysm free and will remain that way. I thought that aneuyrsms can occur and develop at any stage in life.....Why would they make the determination to not check to make sure one will not develop or rupture if they seem to run in the family. I think this is a BS story and I may need to find another DR.

HI LILAN

I HATE TO SOUND NEGATIVE BUT FINDING ANOTHER DR COULD POSE A PROBLEM I HAVE FOUND AND THROUGH MANY ON THIS SITE AS WELL THAT DR DON'T KNOW ENOUGH ABOUT THESE THINGS ONLY HOW TO REPAIR THEM.

I READ THAT THE ANNI IN THE BASE OF THE BRAIN ARE THE ONES YOUARE BORN WITH AND THE OTHERS DEVELOPE. MY UNCLE HAS HAD A STROKE AND AN AUNT ASWELL A COUSIN AN ANNI AND MY GREAT GRAND FATHER DIED FROM AN ANNI.

AND I HAVE RECENTLY READ THAT THEY SAY COCCAINE CAUSES ANNI'S SO CAN ANYONE KNOW FOR SURE I THINK NOT, ON THE OTHER HAND YOU REALLY SHOUDN'T ALLOW YOURSELF TO WORRY LIKE THIS WHEN YOU THINK ABOUT IT IT IS A HIT OR MISS THING AND WE CAN NEVER BE SURE WHO WILL BE AFFECTED.

I AM UP LATE TONIGHT WAITING WORD ON MY SON HE WAS IN A QUAD ACCIDENT TONGHT AND WAS TAKEN BY AMBULANCE TO THE HOSPITAL. SO MAYBE IT IS THE STRESS OF LIFE THAT CAN CAUSE SUCH THINGS BUT MORE PEOPLE STRESS THAN HAVE ANNI'S SO THAT SHOULD BE A COMFORT. JUST REMEMBER LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO SPEND IT WORRYING SO.

AND I HAD A SCAN IN 1992 AND IT SHOWED NO ANNI THEN BUT 13 YEARS LATER IT HAPPENED.

SORRY TO HAVE GONE ON LIKE THIS BUT I WAS JUST SAYING WHAT CAME TO MIND.

XXX EVELYN

Hi Lilnan

Both my mum and maternal grandmum died from SAH rupture and I had mine a year ago so the neurologist who treated me said it was the kind which is congenital and can be passed on through families. I was told that I was born with it and it could have ruptured at any time.

When I was in hospital there was one other woman who had had a SAH and her mum had had one when she was giving birth to her. Luckily her mum survived and is now in her 80s. However the hospital was offering tests to her 2 sisters to check for aneurysms.

I think only a small number of aneurysms are congenital. I would imagine that if you have been checked out and nothing found, then you should feel secure and try not to worry.

Best wishes to you and your mum,

Anne x

hi tina I saw my consultant IN october she asked If I had any children, I have 1 son ,49, she said if he wished he could be checked ,I also had a sister who died 3 years ago, age 72 I did not even know what an sah was, (but it was on her death cert.) and I did not know what It meant[( untill Ihad mine ) 3 years later, and when mine started Iwent to the local hospital ,(with a severe headache , they told me I had an ear Infection and sent me home,) gave me 2 paracetimols next day I was worse saw another doctor she said ear plus urine Infection,by sunday (no surgery ) so went to another hospital (out of hours doctor) sent straight for a scan and sent to the neuro surgical unit (in all6 days later was operated on) sah, so I consider how lucky Iwas ,as that was 9 weeks ago to day.( and still did not realise then that my sister had died from that )so some dont worry about it, but I Ihonestly dont know who to believe. I just think how really lucky Iwas (after all the 6 days that I was not dead,) love pruexxx =Tina]Hi Lilnan :D

My Doctor says it is not hereditary and not to worry about my kids, no test needed......try not to worry ...easy to say i know....good luck xx

Love Tina xx

Hi there I really would try not to worry I cannot remember where I read this but I did somewhere they are only hereditary if you have two or more on one artery, my ns said my kids wouldn't have them and I believe him try not to worry. Jess.xxx

Thanks everyone for the information that you have aquired about this. I have always wondered since my mother having one, and worrying about others in the family. Thanks for the information and encouragement to not worry so much.

Hi Lilnan

I don't mean to be negative, but I had a CT about 18 months before my SAH (because of constant headaches) and it did not show anything. I was diagnosed with tension headaches and sent on my way. I still to this day do not know if the headache was related (a warning) or nothing to do with the annie. I don't see why you can't have regular scans, I know appointments are limited, but it is for YOUR peace of mind.....

Stamp your feet girl!!!!! You are just as important as the next person!!!!

Luv Shiree

Hi Lilnan....i agree with Shiree.....if you feel you want regular scans for peace of mind then 'stamp your feet'!!!

Hi Prue...just read your response.....As far as i know....is not in my family, or yes in that case i would want my kids scanned, but mine was small i doubt if it would have been picked up...i had no warning signs....just came out of nowhere....in fact i had been laughing my head off with my next door neighbour about my Christmas tree.....when it ruptured! So i really don't know the answer and i don't think they do either!

Love Tina xx