Stroke in Childhood

Karen

I've read on many other forums, about stroke/brain haemorrhages in childhood and their causes. Unfortunately, not many websites (including this one) seem to include children, as their plight is little known, but the parents and the child, still need support ..... I'm happy to say, that Different Strokes has just set up a forum dedicated to childhood stroke ....

Perhaps, like many of us, I tended to associate stroke, with older people, like my grand parents.....perhaps over 60, older and certainly not younger. After having my own SAH/stroke, I was amazed and saddened to read (about 2 years post stroke) that even babes in the womb, can have a stroke/brain haem..... life doesn't seem fair sometimes and at least I've had a half decent one....life that is....

I think that the phrase "There for the grace of God, go I" comes into play, as us adults know what it's like to go through this, but not sure how we would cope, if it was our own child ..... I know that I would certainly be stuck for guidance and wouldn't know which way to turn, when looking for support.

HI KAREN

IT IS VERY DIFFICULT I MET A COUPLE THAT HAD LOST THERE SON AT 13 FROM A BRAIN HAEM. THEY STILL HAD A DIFFICULT TIME YEARS LATER, AND THE HUSBAND DISCONNECTED HIMSELF FROM HIS OTHER CHILDREN. IT WAS VERY SAD.

TAKE CARE EVELYN

Hi Evelyn,

I've come across a few posts on other websites in the past, where children or their parents, just don't seem to be catered for ... Where parents need to talk to other parents going through the same and where children need to talk to each other.... let's hope that we can encourage them here and perhaps, make a small difference ...xx

Karen, I think that would be a great idea and certainly there is not much on offer out there, I do so hope that folk hear about this opportunity, can we highlight it in Google etc, ( I know you can but don't know how to ensure that a particular site will come up at the top of the page of searches if various criteria are met. Hope you know someone who knows about this :? I think too that what is not often realised is that children with other severe underlying conditions can experience stroke and well remember albeit forty years ago my godson who had leukemia suffering a pretty massive stroke aged 23 months :o Good luck

Hi Perry,

Hope that things are good with you.... :)

The "Bots" visit this site daily and you will often see Google and Yahoo (plus other search engines) as registered members, who will index/list these pages - when people search for keywords ..... the more "hits" a site gets, then it will go further to the top of Yahoo, Google etc.... Keith (Bogbrush) is more of a computer boffin than me and can probably explain it a lot more eloquently! :wink: I'm completely rubbish! :wink:

It doesn't really matter about the underlying cause of the brain haem or whereabouts it is ..... but we all probably have the same recovery problems...and hopefully, we can accommodate all here..... xx

Hi Karen my dad heard of a 13 yr old she collapsed but never even made it to the hospital sah like ours she died so sad mind I must say I am glad I suffered one sounds silly but now if ever my children look like they are in that much pain I will demand a brain scan straight away you see my mom and dad didn't they were alot like you Karen (no offence) thinking only older people cause my dad only fount out about that child when I was in hospital, at least since mine I know it can happen to anyone at any age so for that I will always be grateful my children will at least have a chance of surviving. Jess.xxx