New member - Sara

_sara_

Hello, my name is Sara and I had a ruptured cerebral aneurysm in June 2020 at 38 years old. My fiancé found me on the floor, I had fallen into my computer and had 2 black eyes. He called an ambulance but I was apparently with it enough to talk them out of taking me, and had my fiancé do it. They followed us and also later came to check on me in the hospital.  

I was in the  ICU for around 40 days, but have since regained my ability to walk, speak, write, drive, and return to work. Thank goodness for all of the wonderful doctors, therapists, and family support I had, I know I was very lucky. 

I am curious if anyone has any tips for managing brain fatigue? I take vitamins and get sleep but it never feels like enough. My doctor tried to prescribe me medication for the fatigue but insurance won't approve it since I do not have AHDH.  I told one of my therapists that just trying to mange my prescriptions and follow up appointments was some serous therapy in itself 😄     

• Like 4

Hello Sara and a warm welcome to BTG.

So glad to hear of your progress since you experienced your SAH 18 months ago. You will be aware how fortunate you have been to survive the life threatening trauma,  and the 40 days in ITU meant so many anxious moments for your fiance and friends.

Fatigue is very common following SAH, and there are many factors which can affect its severity.

For example returning to work.

Many survivors want to return to their employment as soon as possible, when a phased return should seriously be considered. 

A demanding pressured job could put strain on your injured brain which may be finding it hard to process information as before.

There are many aspects of working that now result in your fatigue. Multi tasking can become demanding.

Then your family life.

Again are you trying too hard to return to life as it was?

How are you dealing with all the varied household/ family demands on your life?

It is important to recognise that your on going recovery very much depends on how well you build rest into your daily routines. Learn to accept that overloading your brain will result in this fatigue with headaches and exhaustion also common factors too.

This link will help you realise that you certainly are not alone and also make use of the search tab at the top right of the welcome page.

Please take time to tell us more about your recovery so far, and at all times keep well hydrated.

Subs

• Like 4

Hi Sara,

Reading this has reminded me (yet again) to go easy on myself. 

This is a journey Sara, a mending brain is unlike anything else, I believe. 

I blame a lot of my fatigue on my age.  I have come to realize during my post SAH journey (4 and half years) that I just have to pace everything out to make sure I am not bumping into walls at the end of the day.

It has certainly gotten a bit easier for me to do and my family now hears me when I say I need to stop for a bit or I need to sit for a while...When I need it I try (not always perfect) to make it happen for myself.  

Sounds like you are making good progress Sara and I am glad you found BTG, so many wonderful people here willing to share.  You regained your ability to walk, speak, write, drive return to work...your brain is awesome :) 

Thoughts are with you,

Jean

Edited by ClareM
Spacing
  • Like 5